<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
          Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
          World
          Home / World / Asia-Pacific

          Ring of steel goes up in Australia as nation sweats on city's battle

          By KARL WILSON in Sydney | CHINA DAILY | Updated: 2020-07-10 07:58
          Share
          Share - WeChat
          Healthcare workers wait to test residents inside a public housing tower, locked down in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, in Melbourne on Wednesday. [Photo/Agencies]

          Melbourne's 5m people locked in for 6 weeks in bid to halt virus' spread

          Police and military have thrown a ring of steel around the metropolitan area of Melbourne, Australia's second-most populous city, in a bid to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus that has intensified since restrictions were dropped last month.

          As of midnight on Wednesday, 5 million people in the Victorian capital are being restricted to their homes for the next six weeks as medical teams try to get on top of the virus and stop its spread.

          Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg told a news briefing on Wednesday that the lockdown will cost the national economy about A$1 billion ($693.5 million) a week.

          The state of Victoria is the second-largest economy in Australia, behind New South Wales state, according to Reserve Bank of Australia data.

          At midnight on Tuesday-for the first time since 1919 during the great influenza pandemic-NSW closed its border with Victoria, throwing the lives of thousands in the border city of Albury-Wodonga into chaos. The border divides the city, with Albury located in NSW and Wodonga in Victoria.

          Police and military using drones are now patrolling the border, with heavy fines and even potential jail time for those trying to cross without permission.

          Those allowed to cross include essential workers and those with passes issued by the NSW government to allow those living in either part of the city to go to work or school, to shop, or seek medical treatment.

          The decision to close the border came as a surprise to many living in the city, with workers waiting for hours on either side of the border on Wednesday to go to work.

          Victoria on Wednesday reported 134 new COVID-19 cases overnight, with 75 of them in nine low-end housing towers that were closed on Saturday. The towers house 3,000 people.

          It was the third day in a row that Victoria had recorded more than 100 cases, and 134 was the state's second-highest single-day total after a record 191 on Tuesday.

          Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews told a media briefing on Wednesday that more than 1 million people had been tested for the coronavirus since January, with 29,424 tests conducted on Tuesday.

          An expert in influenza and emerging infectious diseases, Raina Mac-Intyre, said the situation in Victoria is "extremely serious".

          "We have seen outbreaks in a wider area over the past week, from northwest Melbourne to inner Melbourne and even at the border town, Albury-Wodonga," said Mac-Intyre, head of the biosecurity program at the Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales.

          More serious situation

          She said the surge in cases over the past week is worrying.

          "It is possible there has been seeding of infection to other states, and silent epidemic growth which has not yet been detected. I would not be surprised to see epidemics detected in NSW and other states within the next few weeks," MacIntyre said.

          "The situation we are in is more serious than late March, because we have community transmission, which is much harder to track than infection in returned travelers."

          Rob Grenfell, biosecurity director of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, the Australian government's agency responsible for scientific research, said: "The problem we're facing is that the increase in cases across Melbourne now is the result of what happened about 10 days ago, due to the virus' long incubation period, and this roughly coincides with when restrictions were lifted."

          He said one could argue "we're still in the first wave because we've protracted it by suppressing the curve through lockdown measures earlier this year", which "has given us the time to get our health services ready, prepare for increased hospitalizations and intensive care cases".

          Because of the delay in symptoms and the disease manifesting, it could be another week before the corresponding increase in cases requiring hospitalization was seen.

          Most Viewed in 24 Hours
          Top
          BACK TO THE TOP
          English
          Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
          License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

          Registration Number: 130349
          FOLLOW US
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产尤物AV尤物在线看| 国产精品色一区二区三区| 久热伊人精品国产中文| 无码国产精品一区二区免费网曝| 久热久热免费在线观视频| 国内精品久久久久影院薰衣草| 99热精品国产三级在线观看| 久久亚洲精品国产精品| 国产亚洲一区二区三区成人| 欧美videos粗暴| 亚洲中文字字幕精品乱码| 亚洲男人AV天堂午夜在| 成人国产精品一区二区网站| 深夜福利资源在线观看| 国产精品私拍99pans大尺度| 亚洲欧洲av一区二区久久| 东京热人妻无码一区二区AV| 日韩一二三无码专区| 欧美极品色午夜在线视频| 精品国产乱码久久久软件下载 | 综合偷自拍亚洲乱中文字幕| 偷窥盗摄国产在线视频| 亚洲 校园 欧美 国产 另类| 人妻人人澡人人添人人爽| 人妻精品动漫H无码中字| 亚洲午夜久久久久久久久久| 国产精品视频一区不卡| 爱情岛亚洲论坛成人网站| 99久久精品国产一区二区| 国产360激情盗摄全集| 国产一区二区视频在线看| 国产亚洲人成网站在线观看 | 天堂网亚洲综合在线| 亚洲午夜无码久久久久蜜臀av| 91丝袜美腿高跟国产老师在线| 99精品国产综合久久久久五月天| 亚洲熟妇自偷自拍另类| 国产色悠悠综合在线观看| 亚洲伊人久久综合精品| 久久九九99这里有视频| 国产一区二区三区在线看|