|
CHINA> Regional
![]() |
|
Urumqi's wounds 'may be slow' to heal
By Hu Yinan (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-07-09 07:30 URUMQI: Four days after the bloodiest riot in the history of the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, Memet (not his real name), a 34-year-old neurosurgeon at a hospital on the city's Nanhu Street, longs to be home. It's not that the ethnic Uygur professional doesn't want to do any more brain surgery, and it's not that he's overly tired after four straight days of work. It's not even that he is missing Guli (not her real name), his wife of four years, any more than usual.
"I can't go anywhere," he said. "My looks are a giveaway." Before the curfew was imposed Tuesday evening and paramilitary forces were mobilized, many local Han people were afraid to be on the streets without a weapon for self-defense. Uygur residents, too, were fearful of attacks following Sunday's violence that left at least 156 people dead at the hands of rioters. Wang Lequan, Xinjiang's chairman, urged ethnic Han residents to remain calm in an unusually emotional televised speech Tuesday afternoon.
Emotionally, Memet, who helped treat victims of the Sichuan earthquake last year, said it was difficult to accept anything on the scale of the riots in Urumqi. "Sure, one would be terrified at some point to see victims of an earthquake or a car accident But this - crude human violence - just makes me sick," Memet said. Nearly all of the injured had been pounded by blunt objects and were suffering skull fractures and scalp avulsions. "That has made us the most popular department (in the hospital)," he added with a bitter smile. Memet said he "had no clue" what happened Sunday night until he received a call from the hospital around midnight, asking for backup. "Words can't describe what I saw. I won't tell you, and you won't understand The acts (of the rioters) were too primitive. Even the very first human beings who came down from the trees to fight for nuts even they wouldn't do this," he said. "It's too sad to see innocent civilians suffer the way they did. Too sad." Two of the first four residents Memet treated Sunday are still in the intensive care unit. Their relatives turned down requests for an interview, but said they "only have the most grateful feelings" for the Uygur doctor. Half an hour's drive south, Guli, Memet's wife, told China Daily from the autonomous region's People's Hospital that she may not venture home until the weekend. "It takes time for wounds to heal," the 30-year-old said, stressing that all forms of violence against civilians should be condemned. Urumqi has always been a peaceful place, Guli said, adding that Sunday's rioters were mostly from southern parts of Xinjiang - "they had different accents, wore different clothes, and beat up even Uygur girls who wore short sleeves (for violating fundamentalist customs)". |
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产精品一区二区三区四| 亚洲国产成熟视频在线多多 | 自拍亚洲综合在线精品| japanese无码中文字幕| 中文字幕婷婷日韩欧美亚洲| 国产一区在线播放av| 欧美三级韩国三级日本三斤| 亚洲国产精品成人综合色在 | 亚洲综合精品香蕉久久网| 日韩精品中文字幕第二页| 99久久久国产精品消防器材| 国产精品毛片一区二区| 日韩高清亚洲日韩精品一区二区| 狼人久久尹人香蕉尹人| 精品无码国产污污污免费| 琪琪777午夜理论片在线观看播放 国产成人亚洲精品日韩激情 | 18禁免费无码无遮挡不卡网站| 欧美另类图区清纯亚洲| 国产精品SM捆绑调教视频| 国产精品亚洲综合久久小说 | 欧美黑人又粗又大又爽免费| 亚洲中文字幕日产无码成人片| 北岛玲中文字幕人妻系列| www国产亚洲精品久久网站| 久久夜色精品国产欧美乱极品| 麻豆国产成人AV在线播放| 亚洲精品一区二区美女| 狠狠做五月深爱婷婷天天综合| 国产免费又色又爽又黄软件| 色五开心五月五月深深爱| 免费中文熟妇在线影片| 久久狠狠一本精品综合网| 4hu44四虎www在线影院麻豆 | 熟妇人妻久久春色视频网| 激情综合网激情五月俺也去| 国产成人a在线观看视频| 中文字幕一区有码视三区| 免费乱理伦片在线观看| 欧产日产国产精品精品| 亚洲一区二区三区在线观看播放| a国产一区二区免费入口|