|
CHINA> Regional
![]() |
|
3 sentenced over needle attacks in Urumqi
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2009-09-13 16:09 URUMQI: Three Uygurs were given hefty sentences ranging from 7 to 15 years in jail Saturday over syringe stabbings or threatening to use needle attacks for robbery, which triggered public scare in Urumqi, capital of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. Court hearings on two cases involving two men and a woman began at about 10 am at the Municipal Intermediate People's Court of Urumqi and ended at about 1 pm. They were the first court hearings of this kind since hundreds of civilians were injured in a series of hypodermic needle attacks from mid-August. The court sentenced Yilipan Yilihamu, 19, to 15 years in prison for "deploying false dangerous substances" as he was convicted of jabbing a syringe needle into a woman's buttock on August 28, Shi Xinli, president of the court, told a press conference soon after the court hearing.
"His action violated the Criminal Law, caused public panic and led to grave consequences. He deserved the penalty," said Chen Jing, a professor with the Law School of Xinjiang University. In a separate trial in the same court, Muhutaerjiang Turdi, a 34-year-old man, and Aimannisha Guli, a 22-year-old woman, were sentenced to 10 years in jail with a fine of 5,000 yuan (732 U.S. dollars) and seven years in prison with a fine of 3,000 yuan, respectively, for robbing a taxi driver on August 29, Shi said. The two drug addicts jointly threatened a taxi driver with a syringe and robbed him of 710 yuan for buying drugs. The woman was captured on the same day of the robbery and the man surrendered to police three days after. The court also found that the man was given a 14-year jail term for robbery in 2001 and was set free in September last year. The woman was sentenced to one year in prison in January 2007 for theft and was released in October in the same year. More than 200 people, including family members of the defendants and victims and reporters, were present at the court hearings Saturday, which proceeded in Uygur language according to the defendants' wish with simultaneous interpretation in mandarin. "The court verdicts were very accurate," said Xu Chun, a lawyer with the Gonglian Law Offices based in Urumqi. The trials strictly punished crimes and alleviated people's scare, contributing to the recovery of the social order, Xu said. "The defendants did not hire any defending lawyers themselves so the court arranged some for them to protect their rights and interests," he added. "The court made a fair judgment and I think Urumqi people will feel satisfied with it," said Li Yuying, a saleswoman in the city. She expressed the belief that the government is capable of maintaining social stability and protecting people's security. She called on relative authorities to launch quick actions against any possible security threats in the future. "Only harsh punishment of criminals according to law and return of a safe living environment could heal people's psychological trauma," said Shi Shuhong, a teacher with the No. 35 Primary School of Urumqi. "In the view of Muslims, the word Muslim means solidarity and stability. A devoted Muslim must love both his country and his religion, and contribute to the national prosperity, to people's health and welfare," said Ma Wenxu, an imam with the Luyuanjie Mosque in the city. "The court hearings and the judgements were timely and correct, I fully support and welcome them," he said. "The trials showed the government's determination to crack down upon crimes and would effectively bust any attempts to sabotage social stability, helping to appease public indignation," said Huang Xuanqian, manager of the Urumqi-based Xinle Investment Co. Ltd. "There was no exodus of business people amid the needle attacks despite plummeting sales. We're always confident of Xinjiang's development prospect," he said. Hundreds of people have been stabbed by hypodermic syringes or needles in Urumqi, triggering public angst and wrath. Tens of thousands of residents took to the streets early this month, demanding security guarantees. Five people died and at least 14 were hospitalized for injuries during the protests. No death nor any cases which need anti-virus drugs have been reported. The city's public security authorities announced last week that police had caught 45 suspects amid the syringe scare, of whom 12 were in police custody. Syringe attackers may face harsh punishment in accordance with the law, including life imprisonment and even death penalty if convicted of causing grave consequence, the city's judicial and police authorities have said. |
主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久综合色之久久综合色| 四虎国产精品永久入口| 精品无码久久久久久久久久| 日本黄页网站免费观看| 国色天香成人一区二区| 久久一本人碰碰人碰| 她也色tayese在线视频| 精品无码视频在线观看| AV最新高清无码专区| 十八禁日本一区二区三区| 国产成人精品无码播放| 亚洲免费成人av一区| 国产一区二区一卡二卡| 三上悠亚ssⅰn939无码播放| 久久综合国产色美利坚| 国内精品视频一区二区三区八戒| 亚洲h在线播放在线观看h | 午夜色无码大片在线观看免费| 日本第一区二区三区视频| 亚洲欧美卡通另类丝袜美腿| 欧美一级片在线观看| 亚洲激情av一区二区三区| 国产精品无码不卡在线播放| 亚洲无人区一码二码三码| 日韩激情成人| 亚洲精品一区国产精品| 国产日韩精品一区二区在线观看播放| 久久精品国产亚洲不av麻豆| 亚洲WWW永久成人网站| 亚洲最大成人av在线| 日韩人妻一区中文字幕| 国产农村妇女毛片精品久久| av国产剧情一区二区三区| 男女xx00xx的视频免费观看| 性xxxx视频播放| 五月综合网亚洲乱妇久久| 国产中文一区卡二区不卡| 久久久一本精品99久久精品36| 亚洲国产精品一区第二页| 中文字幕日韩国产精品| 久久精品国产99麻豆蜜月|