<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            .contact us |.about us
          News > Lifestyle News ...
          Liberian talks set to start after cease-fire

          ( 2003-06-12 11:11) (Agencies)

           

          Liberia's government was to start peace talks with rebels in earnest on Thursday under pressure to avoid a bloodbath in the capital and end violence that has poisoned West Africa for more than a decade.

          Mediators have pushed President Charles Taylor and the main rebel faction into agreeing a cease-fire for talks in Ghana, offering at least temporary respite for hundreds of thousands of terrified Liberians packed into Monrovia.

          But mistrust runs deep between Liberian foes who well remember more than a dozen peace deals signed and broken during a war in the 1990s. Many old faces from that war, which cost 200,000 lives, joined the new rebellion three years ago.

          The president, himself a former warlord, is under United Nations sanctions for fueling regional instability and was indicted by a U.N.-backed court last week for a suspected part in Sierra Leone's savage war.

          Rebels of the main Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy (LURD) faction and a group known as Model control at least two-thirds of a country founded by freed American slaves and now ruined by years of killing and plunder.

          Talks stalled last week after LURD attacked Monrovia and the court indicted Taylor when he was at the opening ceremony, but West African leaders are desperate to end the crisis that has spilled a generation of killers into their region.

          Mediators hope to secure a permanent cease-fire this week.

          The sole demand of both rebel factions is for Taylor to quit, so that elections can be held without him. All factions have their origins in the tribal divisions exacerbated by the first war, sharpened by the desire for power and loot.

          Taylor has offered to step down for peace, but few think he would if it was likely to lead him before the court. Diplomats suspect he would rather fight to the death like Samuel Doe -- the brutal dictator he launched a war to oust in 1989.

          The court has said it will not drop its indictment and has asked the United Nations to strengthen measures to bring Taylor to trial, but U.N. Security Council diplomats said the request would have to take a back seat to peacemaking.

          In Monrovia, the shifting battalions of terrified civilians would accept almost anything that could prevent the kind of fighting that left streets strewn with bodies in the last war.

          On the ground, witnesses said rebels had moved back beyond Po River Bridge, some 12 km (eight miles) from the outskirts of Monrovia after pushing to just five km (three miles) from the center early this week.

          For the first time in six days, there were no reports of fresh fighting on Wednesday, but conditions in Monrovia remained desperate with aid workers saying up to one million people were displaced. Food and water are in short supply.

          Go to another section

          E-Mail This Article
          Printer-Friendly Format


          Today's Top News Top Lifestyle News
          Indian prime minister starts landmark visit to China
          ( 2003-06-23)
          Hong Kong may get off SARS list
          ( 2003-06-23)
          Experts: Prepare for the worst floods
          ( 2003-06-23)
          Four Palestinians killed in Gaza
          ( 2003-06-23)
          Lawyers call for amendment of compensation law
          ( 2003-06-23)
          WHO experts visit SARS-hit family in Shanxi
          ( 2003-06-22)
          2,000-year-old liquor discovered in West China
          ( 2003-06-22)
          Mike Tyson arrested in New York brawl
          ( 2003-06-22)
          Five nature reserves set up around Beijing
          ( 2003-06-22)
          Prince William celebrates 21 years
          ( 2003-06-22)







          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲精品久久一区二区三区四区| 国产精品美女黑丝流水| 18岁日韩内射颜射午夜久久成人| 激情综合五月网| 精品无码午夜福利理论片| av免费看网站在线观看| 91中文字幕一区二区| AV成人午夜无码一区二区| 人妻丝袜无码专区视频网站 | 一区二区三区久久精品国产| 东京热大乱系列无码| P尤物久久99国产综合精品| 亚洲av综合a色av中文| 精品人妻少妇嫩草av系列| 国产av亚洲精品ai换脸电影| 成在人线av无码免费看网站直播| 亚洲成av一区二区三区| 欧美一级夜夜爽www| 日韩精品 在线 国产 丝袜| gogogo高清在线观看视频中文| 久久热99这里只有精品| 男人的天堂av社区在线| 欧美成人精品三级网站| 国产69精品久久久久久妇女迅雷 | 大伊香蕉精品视频在线| 国产亚洲国产亚洲国产亚洲| 亚洲精品久久麻豆蜜桃| 成全影视大全在线观看| 99国产精品自在自在久久| 国产亚洲综合欧美视频| 717午夜伦伦电影理论片| 久久人人爽人人爽人人片dvd| 亚洲无线码中文字幕在线| 日本高清免费毛片久久| 国产精品一区二区三区激情| 最近免费中文字幕大全| 99精品日本二区留学生| 亚洲精品天堂成人片AV在线播放 | 国产美女永久免费无遮挡| 天天影视色香欲综合久久| 一本久道久久综合狠狠躁av|