<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Philippe says he's Haiti's military chief
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-03-03 08:56

          Rebel leader Guy Philippe declared himself the new chief of Haiti's military, which was disbanded by ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and pledged Tuesday that rebel forces will disarm.

          Philippe then said he would arrest Prime Minister Yvon Neptune on corruption charges.

          "The country is in my hands!" Philippe announced on Radio Signal FM.

          Philippe, flanked by other rebel leaders and senior officers of Haiti's police force, told reporters, "I am the chief," then clarified that he meant "the military chief."

          He said he was "not interested in politics" and was ready to follow the orders of interim President Boniface Alexandre, chief justice of the Supreme Court, who was installed Sunday.

          Asked whether he would disarm if requested to, he said, "We will."

          He then summoned 20 police commanders to meet with him Tuesday and warned that if they failed to appear he would arrest them.

          U.S. Marines guarded Neptune's office in the Petionville suburb, where Philippe was headed with hundreds of supporters in a convoy impeded by adoring and cheering crowds.

          Neptune's whereabouts were not immediately known. Local radio reported that he was evacuated by helicopter. It was also unclear whether American or French marines — who arrived in recent days to secure diplomatic missions and other sites — would try to protect him. Neptune is a top member of Aristide's Lavalas party and his former presidential spokesman.

          In a phone call to The Associated Press, Philippe said Neptune would face corruption charges. The rebels appear to be taking advantage of a power vacuum in the wake of Aristide's abrupt departure Sunday.

          Shortly before that phone call, Philippe appeared on the second-floor balcony of the colonnaded former army headquarters before a cheering crowd of hundreds. A burly rebel standing next to Philippe urged them to accompany the rebel chief to Neptune's house.

          "Arrest Neptune!" the crowd chanted.

          In Washington, Assistant U.S. Secretary of State Roger Noriega said Philippe "is not in control of anything but a ragtag band of people."

          The international military buildup in Haiti will make Philippe's role "less and less central in Haitian life. And I think he will probably want to make himself scarce," Noriega told the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

          "We have sent that message to him. He obviously hasn't received it."

          Philippe, who arrived in Port-au-Prince in a rebel convoy Monday, apparently plans to transform his fighters into a reconstituted Haitian army.

          The army ousted Aristide in 1991 but then was disbanded by him in 1995, a year after he was returned to power by 20,000 American troops.

          Meanwhile, killings continued in the seaside, fetid capital. At least two more bodies showed up Tuesday on streets still littered with charred barricades set up by Aristide supporters, who rampaged and looted the capital before he fled Sunday.

          A young boy with a bullet hole in the head lay by a market square. Residents said he may have been shot for looting.

          At the state morgue, six more bodies arrived overnight and more than two dozen had been recovered in recent days, according to a worker there.

          The rebellion began Feb. 5 in Haiti's north. Aristide opponents accused him of breaking promises to help the poor, allowing corruption fueled by drug trafficking and masterminding attacks on opponents by armed gangs — charges the president denied.

          More than 100 people died in the three-week insurgency and reprisal killings that, combined with pressure from the United States and France, prompted Aristide to flee. He currently is in the Central African Republic, trying to arrange asylum elsewhere.

          The crisis was brewing since Aristide's party swept flawed legislative elections in 2000, prompting international donors to freeze millions of dollars in aid.

          Politicians and rebels in Port-au-Prince have made no public comment on Aristide's charges Monday that the United States forced him out of power. He was Haiti's first freely elected president in 200 years of independence.

          U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has called those claims "absolutely baseless, absurd."

          But American officials acknowledged privately that Aristide was told that if he remained in Haiti, U.S. forces would not protect him from the rebels who wanted to arrest him on corruption and murder charges.

          Some 300 U.S. Marines and 140 French troops were in Haiti on Tuesday. In Washington, U.S. defense officials said the Marines would not act to stop looting or other crimes, but would return fire if fired upon. Commanders of both forces said they also had no orders to disarm Haiti's armed factions and instead planned to secure key sites and protect their countries' citizens and government property.

          "We are not a police force," U.S. Marine Col. Dave Berger said.

          His forces were expected to reach 500 by Tuesday night, U.S. defense officials said.

          Chile also said it was sending 120 special forces to Haiti on Wednesday as part of a 300-soldier contingent that will join an international security force authorized by the U.N. Security Council.

          As scattered looting continued, Louis-Jodel Chamblain, a former death squad leader convicted of murders while in exile, said the rebels planned patrols Tuesday, possibly to the Cite Soleil seaside slum that is a stronghold of die-hard Aristide followers.

          Brian Concannon, who had successfully prosecuted Chamblain, in absentia for a 1994 massacre, expressed concern the violence could continue. "I'm extremely afraid for all people who have fought for democracy because they all could be killed."

          Philippe, whom Human Rights Watch said had a "dubious human rights record" as police chief of the capital's Delmas section, was expected to meet Tuesday with opposition coalition members, who pointedly have not met with other rebel leaders notorious for human rights violations.

          Aristide, meanwhile, was staying in the palace of Central African Republic President Francois Bozize, said Bozize's communications minister, Parfait Mbaye.

          A diplomatic source in Washington, asking not to be identified, said Wednesday that Aristide wanted exile in either Morocco or South Africa but both said no.

          Previously, Panama and Costa Rica said they would offer Aristide exile.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Pakistanis may be near bin Laden's aide al-Zawahri

           

             
           

          Government relaxes control of airfares, finally

           

             
           

          U.S. launches WTO complaint against China

           

             
           

          Report: China, Iran sign US$20b gas deal

           

             
           

          FM to pay official visit to DPRK

           

             
           

          women bosses urged to date and marry

           

             
            Sources: Al Qaeda No 2 leader surrounded
             
            S. Korea won't send troops to Iraqi city
             
            Powell visits Iraq on eve of anniversary of US invasion
             
            US doubles reward for capture of bin Laden
             
            Poland 'misled' on Iraq, President says
             
            Kosovo death toll rises to 31
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Haitian President says the US forced him out
             
          Aristide says US deposed him in coup
             
          US Marines land in Port-au-Prince
             
          UN approves US-led force for Haiti
             
          UN authorizes sending force to Haiti
             
          Mayhem erupts in Haiti as Aristide leaves
             
          Aristide flees Haiti; Bush sends marines
            News Talk  
            The Human Rights Record of the United States in 2003  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产成AV人片在线观看天堂无码| 99国产亚洲精品美女久久久久| 不卡一区二区三区视频播放| 欧美大bbbb流白水| 久热这里只有精品12| 久久96热在精品国产高清| 国产午夜精品理论片小yo奈| 久久精品国产99国产精品严洲| 四虎影免看黄| 一区二区偷拍美女撒尿视频| 久久人妻无码一区二区三区av| 国产AV影片麻豆精品传媒| 五月天免费中文字幕av| 东京热av无码电影一区二区| 一区二区三区国产不卡| 国产成人AV在线播放不卡| 九九热在线视频中文字幕| av中文一区二区三区| 国产91久久精品成人看| 免费av网站| 夜爽8888视频在线观看| 亚洲熟女精品一区二区| 妺妺窝人体色www看美女| 偷炮少妇宾馆半推半就激情| 欧美日韩理论| 国产永久免费高清在线| 欧美一级片在线观看| 深夜释放自己在线观看| 亚洲AV一二三区成人影片 | 国产 中文 亚洲 日韩 欧美| 最新亚洲人成网站在线影院| 欧美午夜一区| 人妻中文字幕亚洲一区| √新版天堂资源在线资源| 国产成人人综合亚洲欧美丁香花| 亚洲理论电影在线观看| 国产午夜精品久久一二区| 日韩av在线不卡一区二区三区| 极品蜜桃臀一区二区av| 最新的国产成人精品2020| 亚洲一区二区三区|