<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Poland 'misled' on Iraq, President says
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-03-19 09:47

          Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski, a key US ally, said Thursday that Poland was "misled" about whether Saddam Hussein's regime had weapons of mass destruction and was considering withdrawing troops from Iraq several months early.

          Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski, second left, assisted by Gen. Andrzej Tyszkiewicz, second right, walks through the headquarters of the Polish-led peacekeeping force in Iraq at Camp Babylon, in this Dec 22, 2003 file photo. [AP]
          The remarks came as polls show about half of Poles are opposed to involvement in Iraq and after deadly bombings in Madrid — possibly by al-Qaeda in retaliation for Spain's alliance with the United States — triggered fears of a terror attack on Polish soil.

          Kwasniewski's comments were the first by a Polish leader to raise doubts about the intelligence behind the decision for going to war and the latest signs of a weakening of support for the war among coalition members. He tempered them by stressing that Poland is not about to abandon its mission in Iraq, and said Iraq was a better place without Saddam.

          "But naturally I also feel uncomfortable due to the fact that we were misled with the information on weapons of mass destruction," Kwasniewski told French reporters, according to a transcript released by his press office.

          "This is the problem of the United States, of Britain and also of many other nations," he later told a news conference.

          Despite his comments, US National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said she did not think Poland was withdrawing its support for the US-led coalition in Iraq.

          "I talked to the Poles, and they think they were a bit misinterpreted here, because there's been no stronger ally in this than the Poles," Rice said in a CNN interview. She said US President Bush and Kwasniewski had discussed the issue of Saddam's alleged arsenal "and they went to war for the right reasons."

          Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, speaking on PBS' News Hour With Jim Lehrer, questioned Kwasniewski's comments.

          "I use the word `misled' when somebody knows a fact and tries to persuade you of a different fact. When somebody tells you their best estimate of a situation and it turns out to be wrong, that's life. That happens often," he said.

          Poland contributed 2,400 combat troops to the Iraq invasion and now commands a 9,500-strong multinational force, making it one of Washington's staunchest allies. But while many Poles feel historically close to the United States, public support for the mission in Iraq has been tepid.

          A poll last week found 42 percent of adults in favor and 53 percent opposed. The CBOS survey had a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.

          Kwasniewski's criticism of the prewar intelligence also puts him in line with widespread public sentiment in Western Europe, just before Poland joins the European Union on May 1.

          "Poland so far lacked a necessary balance before the EU entry. It was too pro-American," said Janina Paradowska, a commentator for the Polityka weekly. "Now is the time to have better European cooperation."

          State Department spokesman Adam Ereli, reacting to reports of Kwasniewski's remarks, also said Washington does not believe Poland is wavering: "We have no reason to have any ... questions or doubts about Poland's steadfast support of the mission in Iraq."

          As early as November, a poll found 75 percent of Poles feared the country's role in Iraq would lead to a terrorist attack at home.

          "I don't think the president's remarks are linked only to the situation after Madrid, but in general ... with the effects of involvement in Iraq, and with the fact that the public opinion is tired with our involvement," Bronislaw Komorowski, a former defense minister, told The Associated Press.

          Another reason for Kwasniewski's blunt remarks may be Polish disappointment that wartime loyalty has not led to more Iraq reconstruction contracts and an easing of US visa requirements for Poles — points Kwasniewski recently raised with Bush.

          "Kwasniewski addressed his remarks to Washington, not to Warsaw," said Zbigniew Lewicki, head of the American Studies Center at Warsaw University. "Kwasniewski was in Washington in January to demand a visa waiver and contracts ... and came back with nothing."

          The Polish-led force in Iraq includes 1,300 troops from Spain, whose new government has said it wants to withdraw them by June 30 unless the United Nations takes control of peacekeeping.

          Kwasniewski, speaking after a meeting of his top security officials to discuss Poland's response to the Madrid bombings, said he will urge Spain to reconsider its decision.

          Earlier Thursday, Kwasniewski said Poland may start withdrawing its troops from Iraq early next year, months before previously planned. He cited progress toward stabilizing Iraq.

          "Everything suggests that pullout from Iraq may be possible after the stabilization mission is crowned with success and, in my assessment soon, it may be the start of 2005," Kwasniewski told RMF.FM radio. Previously, Polish officials said they might start withdrawing troops in mid-2005.

          Spain's new government made its pullout threat shortly after winning elections Sunday, three days after the Madrid bombings.

          Kwasniewski insisted that Poland — where security officials have acknowledged lacking experience in dealing with terrorist attacks — would not bow to terror.

          "We are facing the same threat as Spain," Kwasniewski said in the radio interview, but he stressed that "terrorism must be combatted, also with force."

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Global protests rally against Iraq war, occupation

           

             
           

          Taiwan "referendum" vetoed by the people

           

             
           

          China to cultivate more excellent scientists

           

             
           

          China puzzled over US tax complaint at WTO

           

             
           

          State banks head toward Sept IPO

           

             
           

          Marriage bells toll in cyber churches

           

             
            Iraq pull-out all but inevitable-Zapatero
             
            Global protests rally against Iraq war, occupation
             
            Bush urges allies to stick with united mission
             
            As EU verdict looms, Microsoft more distracted than ever
             
            Vietnamese boy dies of bird flu
             
            Love among the suicide bombs: Iraq’s soap opera
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            The Human Rights Record of the United States in 2003  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产激情一区二区三区成人| www欧美在线观看| 中文字幕有码日韩精品| 亚洲天堂视频在线观看| 乱女乱妇熟女熟妇综合网| 久久国内精品自在自线91| 日日摸夜夜添夜夜添国产三级| 精品亚洲成A人在线观看青青| 欧美综合在线观看| 性欧美vr高清极品| 国产成人自拍小视频在线| 亚洲各类熟女们中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码破坏版在线观看| 久久国产精品二国产人妻| 欧美日韩另类国产| 人妻另类 专区 欧美 制服| 日韩人妻无码精品久久| 久久人妻少妇偷人精品综合桃色| 亚洲高潮喷水无码AV电影| 亚洲乱码一二三四区国产| 国产亚洲精品第一综合另类| 中文毛片无遮挡高潮| 亚洲第一区二区三区av| 手机成人午夜在线视频| 国产国产人免费人成免费| 亚洲2区3区4区产品乱码2021| 国产一区二区三区不卡视频| 国产欧美日韩视频怡春院| 亚洲精品在线少妇内射| 亚洲影院丰满少妇中文字幕无码| 麻豆成人传媒一区二区| 亚洲日韩性欧美中文字幕| 天堂网亚洲综合在线| 亚洲va久久久噜噜噜久久狠狠 | 女同另类激情在线三区| 日韩一区二区三区女优丝袜| 在线看国产精品自拍内射| 人人妻人人澡人人爽曰本| 久久无码高潮喷水| 亚洲爆乳成av人在线视菜奈实| 国产精品亚洲А∨天堂免下载|