<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          UN security chief fired over Iraq security flaws
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-03-30 09:00

          U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan rejected his deputy's offer to resign but fired his security chief after a blistering report on security missteps before last year's deadly bombing of U.N. offices in Baghdad.

          Annan asked U.N. Security Coordinator Tun Myat of Myanmar to resign after the report concluded Myat "appeared oblivious to the developing crisis" in Baghdad before the Aug. 19 blast, which killed 22 people including mission chief Sergio Vieira de Mello, U.N. chief spokesman Fred Eckhard told a news conference on Monday. Myat was put on paid leave in November.

          But Annan rejected a resignation offer by U.N. Deputy Secretary-General Louise Frechette, a Canadian who chaired the U.N. Steering Group on Iraq at the time the world body decided last May that its senior staff could return to work after the U.S.-led invasion in March.

          Frechette tendered her resignation but Annan instead sent her a letter -- in her capacity as the steering group's chair -- "expressing his disappointment and regret" over the security flaws identified by the report, Eckhard said.

          "The secretary-general, taking into account the collective nature of the failures attributable to the Steering Group on Iraq as a whole, declined to accept the resignation," he said.

          The August bombing led to the withdrawal of all U.N. international staff from Iraq. They have still not returned to Iraq, apart from small teams recently sent in to help with the shift to a transitional Iraqi government, expected by June 30.

          Security officials "appeared to be blinded by the conviction that U.N. personnel and installations would not become a target of attack, despite the clear warnings to the contrary," said the report by an outside panel led by Gerald Walzer, former U.N. deputy high commissioner for refugees.

          The report was given to Annan earlier this month, and a summary was released on Monday along with a list of personnel actions taken by Annan on the basis of its findings.

          The report, the second to be issued by the world body since the bombing attack, focused on which officials were responsible for serious security lapses identified in an earlier study, conducted by former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari.

          It broadly faulted U.N. officials for failing to send an assessment team to Iraq before sending back senior staff, and for failing to either withdraw some staff or take strong measures to improve security at the Baghdad site, the former Canal Hotel, once they became aware of the growing risks.

          It blamed the steering group for failing to ask "some searching questions about the security aspects" of the plan to let staff return before approving it.

          It harshly criticized two U.N. administrators on the spot in Baghdad, accusing them of "a dereliction of duty" and "a lethargy that is bordering on gross negligence" for failing to quickly shield office windows with blast-resistant film.

          The two, Boulos Paul Aghadjanian of Jordan and Pa Momodou Sinyan of Gambia, were being charged by the United Nations with misconduct and would be the subject of formal disciplinary proceedings, Eckhard said. Medical officials at the site after the bombing estimated that as many as 90 percent of the injuries were caused by flying shards of glass. About 150 people were wounded.

          Another senior aide, Ramiro Lopes da Silva of Portugal, was fired from his current post as an assistant secretary-general and reassigned to a previous job at the World Food Program. He had been the designated security coordinator in Baghdad at the time of the bombing, and was placed on paid leave in November.

          Annan "regretted the failures identified by the panel and expressed his determination to take all corrective measures, within his authority, to enhance the safety and security of all U.N. staff, especially those deployed in dangerous conflict areas," Eckhard said.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          First frozen egg babies to be born in May

           

             
           

          EU plans new quota for China

           

             
           

          Paper to review China's human rights

           

             
           

          Invasive moth and beetle cause huge losses

           

             
           

          "Taiwan election biggest joke in the world"

           

             
           

          Improved ID cards issued in Shanghai

           

             
            UN security chief fired over Iraq security flaws
             
            19 killed in Uzbek bombs and shootouts
             
            Seven new allies shift NATO to Russia's borders
             
            Israeli prosecutor: Indict Sharon
             
            French voters punish Chirac
             
            Musharraf: Al Qaeda is taunting me
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          UN to release key Iraq report
             
          Annan keeps UN out of Iraq until security improves
             
          UN cuts Iraq staff after second bombing
             
          Suicide bomber targets UN Baghdad HQ, kills guard
             
          UN Iraq envoy was veteran of global conflicts
             
          Blast demolishes UN office in Baghdad
            News Talk  
            The evil root of all instability in the world today  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 在线观看mv的免费网站| 色猫咪av在线网址| 在线精品国产中文字幕| 国产精品午夜无码AV天美传媒| 免费国产高清在线精品一区| 亚洲人成网站18禁止无码| 中文字幕av熟女人妻| 成人爽A毛片在线视频淮北| 在线永久看片免费的视频| 亚洲精品无码日韩国产不卡av| 日韩人妻少妇一区二区| 日韩视频一区二区三区视频| 四房播色综合久久婷婷| 亚洲国产成人精品区综合| 精品一精品国产一级毛片| 中文日产幕无线码一区中文| 亚洲乳大丰满中文字幕| 51福利国产在线观看午夜天堂| 日韩高清亚洲日韩精品一区二区| 无码帝国www无码专区色综合| 2020年最新国产精品正在播放| 亚洲一级av大片在线观看| 国产三级国产精品国产专| 狠狠色丁香久久婷婷综合蜜芽五月| 国产精品色哟哟成人av| 夜夜添无码试看一区二区三区| 18禁黄无遮挡网站免费| 顶级少妇做爰视频在线观看| 国产精品视频全国免费观看| 国内精品视频一区二区三区八戒| 韩国无码av片在线观看网站| 欧美极品色午夜在线视频| 国产av无码专区亚洲awww| 亚洲日韩精品无码一区二区三区| 三级黄色片一区二区三区| 一区二区亚洲人妻精品| 久久伊人色| 国产精品三级中文字幕| 精品国产成人国产在线视| 国产系列高清精品第一页| 中文字幕日本在线免费|