<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Shiite cleric pulls back Iraqi militias
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-13 09:17

          As a tenuous cease-fire held in the Sunni city of Fallujah, a radical Shiite cleric was on the retreat Monday, pulling his militiamen out of parts of the holy city of Najaf in hopes of averting a U.S. assault. Still, a U.S. commander said the American mission remained to "kill or capture" the cleric, Muqtada al-Sadr.

          Iraqi Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr 
          With quiet on both fronts, the scale of Iraq's worst fighting since the fall of Saddam Hussein became clearer: The military reported about 70 coalition troops and 700 Iraqi insurgents killed so far this month. It was the biggest loss of life on both sides since the end of major combat a year ago.

          A hospital official said over 600 Iraqis were killed in Fallujah alone — mostly women, children and the elderly.

          The withdrawal of al-Sadr's al-Mahdi Army militia from police stations and government buildings in Najaf, Karbala and Kufa was a key U.S. demand. But al-Sadr followers rebuffed an American demand to disband the militia, which launched a bloody uprising in Baghdad and the south this month.

          "Al-Sadr issued instructions for his followers to leave the sites of police and the government," said lawyer Murtada al-Janabi, al-Sadr's representatives in the talks.

          American troops were seen on the outskirts of Najaf, where the radical cleric is thought to be in his office. The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, said "the mission of U.S. forces is to kill or capture Muqtada al-Sadr."

          The son of Iraq's most powerful Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani met with al-Sadr in his office Monday, telling him al-Sistani rejects any military move against al-Sadr and the holy city, a person who attended the meeting said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

          Al-Sistani is a moderate who has shunned anti-American violence. In addition to his son, the sons of Iraq's two other grand ayatollahs also were at the meeting, the source said.

          U.S.-allied Iraqis were negotiating separately with representatives from Fallujah and al-Sadr. The U.S. military has moved more forces into both areas and is threatening to push into the cities if talks fall through.

          The burst of violence since April 4 has exposed weaknesses in Iraq's U.S.-trained security forces. A battalion of the Iraqi army refused to fight in Fallujah, Sanchez said. And some police defected to al-Sadr's forces, said Gen. John Abizaid, the top commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East.

          In an effort to toughen the Iraqi forces, Abizaid said the U.S. military will reach out to former senior members of Saddam's disbanded army — a reversal in strategy. The military in the past has tried to avoid relying on top officials from the ousted regime.

          "It's ... very clear that we've got to get more senior Iraqis involved — former military types involved in the security forces," he said. "In the next couple of days you'll see a large number of senior officers being appointed to key positions in the ministry of defense and the Iraqi joint staff and in Iraqi field commands."

          Abizaid said he and Sanchez "are very much involved in the vetting and placing of these officers." At another point, Abizaid said inadequate checking of Iraqi recruits was a key failure in U.S. training efforts.

          Another toll from the week's violence: more than 40 foreigners reportedly were taken hostage by insurgents, though a dozen had been released Sunday and Monday. Those still believed held included three Japanese and American truck driver Thomas Hamill, whose captors had threatened to kill them.

          Seven Chinese were freed Monday after being held for a day, China's official news agency said. Two reportedly were injured.

          Two U.S. soldiers and seven employees of a U.S. contractor were missing after an attack Friday on a convoy west of Baghdad, Sanchez said.

          And Al-Jazeera television said 11 Russians working for a Russian energy company were kidnapped during a clash in Baghdad. The station did not say when the reported abduction took place.

          Gunmen battered American supply lines around Baghdad on Monday, attacking a convoy of flatbed trucks carrying M113 armored personnel carriers south of the capital and settling them ablaze. A supply truck was burned and looted on the road from the airport.

          The U.S. military has been trying to regain control of supply routes, particularly on Baghdad's western edge, where gunmen this week have attacked fuel convoys, shot down an Apache helicopter, and killed two American civilian contractors after dragging them from their car.

          Brig. Gen. Mark Hertling, deputy commander of the 1st Armored Division in Baghdad, said hundreds of Iraqi fighters have been killed in the capital in the past week — apparently most in the western area.

          "Full security has not been established yet in Baghdad, but it will be. It's stable now," Hertling told The Associated Press.

          In Fallujah, Sunni insurgents and Marines largely held to a truce for a second day while Iraqi Governing Council members negotiated with city officials to find a way to halt the violence.

          Marine commanders said insurgents were trying to smuggle weapons into the city in aid convoys and move them around in ambulances. Marines shot and killed two gunmen setting up a machine gun near their position, then saw an ambulance pull up and try to take the gun, said Lt. Col. Brennan Byrne. Marines shot an insurgent in the ambulance.

          "We have to be careful because ambulances are being used for legitimate purposes, but we are also treating them with suspicion," Byrne said.

          On Sunday, Marines found five suicide belts along with U.S. military uniforms in a weapons cache — raising concerns militants will try to approach U.S. positions and blow themselves up.

          Iraqis in Fallujah complained that civilians were coming under fire by U.S. snipers. Sheik Dhafir al-Obaidi told Al-Arabiya television that dozens of people had been killed "because they thought it was a cease-fire and left their homes for supplies, and they were surprised by snipers."

          More than 600 Iraqis have been killed in the city since the siege began, said the head of Fallujah's hospital, Rafie al-Issawi. Most of the dead registered at hospitals and clinics were women, children and elderly, he said. He refused to give figures, saying that doing so would suggest the remaining dead — young, military-aged men — were all insurgents, which he said was not the case.

          In all, about 880 Iraqis have been killed in a week of fighting, according to an AP count based on statements by Iraqi hospital officials, U.S. military statements and Iraqi police.

          Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt on Monday released the military's first full casualty estimates since widespread fighting erupted on April 4, saying around 70 coalition personnel have been killed and "about 10 times that amount" of Iraqi insurgents.

          He said there was no "authoritative number" of civilians killed and said figures seen so far came through the "filter of propaganda."

          Abizaid also complained of propaganda, accusing two Arab television stations — Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya — of broadcasting false reports that American troops were targeting civilians in Fallujah.

          Three U.S. Marines were killed Sunday in Anbar province, the area that includes Fallujah, the military said Monday without elaborating. An attack on an Army patrol in Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad, killed a soldier from the 1st Armored Division and injured four others Sunday.

          An attack on a convoy Sunday killed a Romanian working for a security company, Romania's ambassador to Iraq said.

          Aysar al-Baghdadi, an assistant to Governing Council member Mouwafak al-Rubaie, said that in the Fallujah talks, the United States demands the surrender of the killers of four American contractors on March 31, the handover of foreign militants and an end to attacks on U.S. troops in and around the city.

          Al-Rubaie on Monday called on "Fallujah's good people ... to hand over these criminals and finish the bloodshed."

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Seven Chinese kidnapped in Iraq are freed

           

             
           

          New policy eases one-child restrictions

           

             
           

          Beijing reaffirms stand against independence

           

             
           

          One woman's torturous passage to America

           

             
           

          China's foreign trade remains in deficit

           

             
           

          Satellite gets rave reviews

           

             
            11 Russians seized, Chinese freed
             
            Shiite cleric pulls back Iraqi militias
             
            Stampede for sarees kills at least 21 Indian women
             
            Russia: Private Mars mission 'nonsense'
             
            Israeli sources say Sharon's plans to get US nod
             
            Bush was satisfied on pre-9/11 probes
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          11 Russians seized, Chinese freed
             
          Seven Chinese kidnapped in Iraq are freed
             
          US Apache copter shot down west of Baghdad
             
          Japan denies report of hostages release
             
          Iraq insurgents threaten to kill American
             
          Profile: Outlawed Iraqi Shiite leader Muqtada al-Sadr
             
          US declares Iraqi Shiite cleric "outlaw"
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美老少配性行为| 午夜免费视频国产在线| 成人午夜在线观看日韩| 影音先锋男人资源站| 久久综合老鸭窝色综合久久| 久久国产乱子精品免费女| 亚洲韩国精品无码一区二区三区 | 秋霞在线观看片无码免费不卡| 亚洲中文无码+蜜臀| 潮喷失禁大喷水无码| 国精产品一区一区三区有限| 精品人妻二区中文字幕| 成人午夜精品无码一区二区三区| 精品精品久久宅男的天堂| 久久无码高潮喷水| 欧美寡妇xxxx黑人猛交| 五月综合婷婷久久网站| 久久精品国产久精国产果冻传媒| 老熟妇乱子交视频一区| 亚洲国产av一区二区三| 国产成AV人片久青草影院| 国产日韩欧美精品一区二区三区| 狠狠色噜噜狠狠狠狠777米奇| 欧美在线天堂| 亚洲伊人精品久视频国产| 一级内射片在线网站观看视频| 色久综合色久综合色久综合| 人人妻人人澡人人爽人人精品97| 欧美黑人巨大xxxxx| 中文字幕人成无码免费视频 | 国产小嫩模无套中出视频| 久久婷婷大香萑太香蕉av人| 久久婷婷五月综合色国产免费观看| 99热在线免费观看| AV喷水高潮喷水在线观看COM| 成人啪啪高潮不断观看| 亚洲一区成人在线视频| 久久国产自偷自偷免| 2019国产精品青青草原| 久久久久久久久久久久中文字幕| 国产精品中文字幕二区|