<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Rumsfeld: Iraq toll higher than expected
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-16 08:04

          Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Thursday that the death toll of U.S. troops in recent fighting in Iraq was higher than he had expected, acknowledging a change in plans as he announced thousands of soldiers won't be coming home as early as promised.


          U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld scratches his head while answering questions during a press conference at the Pentagon, April 15, 2004. Rumsfeld announced a boost in troop levels in Iraq, while also offering his condolences to family members of servicemen and women lost in recently increased violence. [Reuters]
          Rumsfeld described a decision to keep some 20,000 troops inside Iraq longer than originally planned, telling reporters at the Pentagon: "I certainly would not have estimated that we would have had the number of individuals lost that we have had lost in the last week."

          Halfway through April, the month already is the deadliest of the war for the United States, with 88 U.S. soldiers killed in a surge of violence coming from multiple insurgent factions inside the country. Hundreds of Iraqis have been killed.

          The violence has prompted generals in Iraq to seek more combat power than they had originally planned, and the most convenient source will be the units scheduled to rotate home after yearlong tours.

          The decision to keep more troops there breaks a promise to soldiers who were assured they would stay no more than one year. By extending their tours of duty by up to three months, the Pentagon is acknowledging that the insurgency has ruined its plans to reduce the size of the U.S. military presence this spring.

          President Bush, speaking at a symposium in Iowa, also acknowledged the difficulties.

          "The situation on the ground, I readily concede, is tough work," Bush said. "We've got good people there working it, and some have paid the highest price of all."

          Those staying include two brigades from the 1st Armored Division, based in Germany, said Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, totaling as many as 14,000 troops. An additional 2,800 soldiers are from the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, based in Fort Polk, La. These are forces geared for heavy ground combat, with tanks and armored Bradley Fighting Vehicles.

          The rest include Army National Guard and Reserve units from 20 states, Pace said. Most are military police, engineer and transportation units, according to the Pentagon.

          A few soldiers from the 1st Armored had already left. They will have to go back to Iraq, Army generals said.

          Should the heightened violence last beyond 90 days and into summer, new units will be rotated into Iraq to take their place, Rumsfeld said. Officials did not specify which units those might be.

          An uprising by followers of militant Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr in southern Iraq, coupled with heavy fighting between Marines and Sunni fighters in the restive Fallujah region west of Baghdad, has led to concerns of wider resistance to the U.S. occupation in advance of the scheduled June 30 transfer of power to an Iraqi government.

          The United States has a total of about 137,000 troops in Iraq now, Rumsfeld said. That number was supposed to have decreased to 115,000 by May, but Rumsfeld said Gen. John Abizaid, the overall commander of the Iraq war, decided he needs to keep the force level at about 135,000 troops.

          Some critics have asserted throughout the U.S. occupation of Iraq that the military had too few troops on the ground to stabilize the country and assure its economic and political rebuilding.

          Pace rejected such criticism, saying generals request the firepower they need but know that having too many soldiers risks increasing local resentment.

          While extending tours of soldiers in Iraq is not unprecedented, it is done with great reluctance because of concern about morale.

          Gen. George Casey, the Army vice chief of staff, told reporters Thursday that he believes these soldiers accept that their first obligation is to succeed in the mission.

          "Everybody's disappointed," he said. "Does it create morale problems? Depends on the strength of the unit. These guys will always place the mission first. Every soldier understands that."

          At a Baghdad news conference Thursday, Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was asked whether the troop extensions indicate plans for large-scale offensive operations. He did not answer directly, saying the move was deemed necessary given "extremist and terrorist acts that must be dealt with."

          The Army is so stretched by its commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans and elsewhere that it has few, if any, forces immediately available to substitute in Iraq for the 1st Armored or 2nd Armored Cavalry.

          Also, these units have been heavily involved in one of the most important U.S. military missions there: training thousands of Iraqi security forces. Those Iraqi army and civil defense corps members are central to the Pentagon's plan for eventually turning over military control to the Iraqis and pulling out U.S. troops.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China foils US anti-China human rights motion

           

             
           

          Tung tells NPC of need for election change

           

             
           

          US: China does not manipulate currency

           

             
           

          269.7 kg of heroin found in beehives

           

             
           

          Purported bin Laden 'truce' is rejected

           

             
           

          Private car ownership sparks problems

           

             
            S. Korea enters new political era after election
             
            Powell says US honest broker despite Mideast shift
             
            Europe: No deal with bin Laden
             
            US company paid terrorist to protect overseas interests
             
            3 Japanese hostages freed; Iranian killed
             
            Rumsfeld: Iraq toll higher than expected
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          UN envoy wants new Iraq caretaker gov't
             
          Bush to address media amid Iraq, terrorism scrutiny
             
          4 US contractors killed, mutilated in Iraq
             
          US Apache copter shot down west of Baghdad
             
          Powell: Iraq is not a swamp that will devour US
             
          US troops in bloody battles on Saddam anniversary
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲精品色国语对白在线| 成人av午夜在线观看| 国产精品国三级国产专区| 国产又黄又爽又不遮挡视频| 国产果冻豆传媒麻婆精东| AV免费网址在线观看| 人妻猛烈进入中文字幕| 亚洲一区二区精品动漫| 亚洲人成网站在小说| 成人av天堂网在线观看| 中文字幕在线视频不卡| 欧美 日韩 国产 成人 在线观看| 久久被窝亚洲精品爽爽爽| 午夜福利在线一区二区| 二区三区亚洲精品国产| 日韩一区精品视频一区二区| 午夜精品极品粉嫩国产尤物| 国产精品任我爽爆在线播放6080| 97在线视频人妻无码| 亚洲天堂视频网| 国产精品久久久国产盗摄| 国产成人AV一区二区三区在线| 国产午夜精品视频免费不卡| 国产亚洲精品中文字幕| 激情综合网五月激情五月| 国产成人午夜一区二区三区| 爆乳熟妇一区二区三区| 国产内射性高湖| av激情亚洲男人的天堂| 亚洲精品一二三四区| 精品婷婷色一区二区三区| CAOPORN免费视频国产| 国产极品精品自在线不卡| 国产乱码字幕精品高清av| 国产免费AV片在线看| 日本A级视频在线播放| 九九热在线视频| 国产日韩综合av在线| 国产精品一区二区三区精品| 亚洲高清 一区二区三区| 中国小帅男男 gay xnxx|