<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Scientist predicts earthquake by Sept 5
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-17 09:13

          A scientist who predicts a magnitude-6.4 or larger quake will strike the Southern California desert by Sept. 5 said his group has made other similar forecasts but that he would not disclose them publicly.

          UCLA's Vladimir Keilis-Borok said Thursday doing so could trigger "disruptive behavior" while he and other scientists attempt to assess the validity of their largely untested prediction method.

          "I would rather not talk about it," Keilis-Borok told a news conference at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America.

          Other earthquake experts said the sort of predictions made by the group are of great scientific interest, but remain unproven.

          "They have to understand the hypothetical nature of this research," Tom Jordan, director of the Southern California Earthquake Center, said of the public. "These types of predictions are made with tremendous amounts of uncertainty."

          They also are of limited utility, whether disclosed or not, since they cover broad areas already known to be seismically active and large spans of time, experts added.

          "You can argue people should do earthquake preparedness anyway and this is another reason to do it," said Egill Hauksson, a California Institute of Technology geophysicist.

          Keilis-Borok and his colleagues predict there is a 50-50 chance that an earthquake will occur within a 12,000-square-mile area east of Los Angeles by Sept. 5.

          The zone includes a large swath of the Mojave Desert, the Coachella Valley, the Imperial Valley and eastern San Diego County. It has experienced nine magnitude-6.4 or larger quakes over the last 70 years.

          Some of those quakes killed people and toppled buildings, while others passed almost unnoticed, said William Ellsworth, chief scientist of the U.S. Geological Survey's earthquake hazards team.

          The new prediction gives quake scientists a bully pulpit to remind people of the very real seismic risk in the region, Ellsworth added.

          "We know there will be earthquakes," he said. "The advice is out there and not always is it followed or taken seriously."

          Keilis-Borok's team successfully forecast two earthquakes last year, the magnitude-6.5 San Simeon quake in Central California and the magnitude-8.1 quake off Japan's Hokkaido island. As with the current Southern California prediction, the group had set wide limits in place and time for both quakes.

          It's "only two, which is emphatically not enough to justify the methodology," Keilis-Borok said.

          Beyond California and Japan, Keilis-Borok said his group also focuses on Italy and the Middle East. He would not say what regions his other predictions touched upon.

          However, Ellsworth, of the USGS, said he knew of no other predictions for California quakes made by the group.

          Keilis-Borok has said previously that he believes the combination of pattern recognition, geodynamics, seismology, chaos theory and statistical physics allows earthquakes to be predicted as hitting within a nine-month window.

          He said he would disclose his other predictions at the close of the window or after the predicted quake occurred.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Beating the empty-nester blues

           

             
           

          9 killed, 150,000 evacuated after gas leak

           

             
           

          Corrupt Chinese official repatriated from US

           

             
           

          Germany urged to curb 'Eastern Turkistan'

           

             
           

          Rules to intercept unwanted messages

           

             
           

          US soldier shown captive on videotape

           

             
            US soldier shown captive on videotape
             
            US troops blast music in siege of Fallujah
             
            Positive HIV tests shut down porn sets
             
            Bush, Blair affirm June 30 Iraq handover
             
            S. Korea enters new political era after election
             
            Powell says US honest broker despite Mideast shift
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Positive HIV tests shut down porn sets
             
          Powerful quake rattles Afghan border
             
          Quake rocks eastern Turkey, nine killed
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产十八禁在线观看免费| 日本欧美一区二区免费视频| 一本大道久久东京热AV| 国产亚洲精品线观看动态图| 极品少妇的粉嫩小泬看片 | 国产精品久久无码不卡黑寡妇| 欧美人与动牲交精品| 日韩成人一区二区三区在线观看| 九九成人免费视频| 92精品国产自产在线观看481页| 久久99精品国产99久久6尤物| 天天色天天综合网| 熟女系列丰满熟妇AV| 国产亚洲一二三区精品| 99精品国产一区二区三| 国产精品久久久久久久9999| 插入中文字幕在线一区二区三区| 欧洲免费一区二区三区视频| 久久精品国产99麻豆蜜月| 亚洲综合中文字幕第一页| 国产玖玖视频| 激情伊人五月天久久综合| 女高中生强奷系列在线播放| 大地资源免费视频观看| 国产精品大片中文字幕| 国产成熟妇女性视频电影| 日韩有码中文字幕第一页| 在线a级毛片无码免费真人| 日韩精品不卡一区二区三区| 激情综合网激情综合| 风韵丰满熟妇啪啪区老熟熟女| 精品国产性色av网站| 毛片久久网站小视频| 国产精品无码无在线观看| 免费精品一区二区中文字幕| 秋霞A级毛片在线看| 好男人好资源WWW社区| 欧美熟妇另类久久久久久多毛| 日本大胆欧美人术艺术动态| 亚洲高潮喷水无码AV电影| 天天拍夜夜添久久精品大|