<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Blasts kill 45 at Iraq police stations
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-21 13:42

          Near-simultaneous explosions ripped through three police stations in southern Iraq on Wednesday, killing at least 45 people, including schoolchildren on a passing bus, and wounding 236, officials said.

          Rescuers rush to the scene of one of three car bomb explosions in the southern Iraq city of Basra April 21, 2004.  [Reuters]
          A fourth explosion near the city's police academy took place about two hours after the initial blasts, but no casualties were immediately reported.

          British military spokesman Squadron leader Jonathan Arnold said the blasts that hit the police stations were believed to have been caused by car bombs. However, an Iraqi police colonel said that rocket attacks may have been to blame.

          The attacks came a day after Iraqi leaders named a tribunal of judges and prosecutors to try Saddam Hussein, placing a longtime opponent of the ousted dictator in the forefront of the case against him and his former Baathist inner circle.

          An Iraqi man gestures towards vehicles destroyed by one of three explosions which hit the southern Iraqi city of Basra early Wednesday April 21, 2004.  [AP]
          Iraqi Police Col. Kadhem al-Muhammedawi said about 10 elementary school students in a bus passing by the Saudia police station at the time of the blasts were among the dead.

          Cars and at least two school buses were seen destroyed outside the station in the Saudia district of Basra, 340 miles southeast of Baghdad. The interior of one of the school buses was burned out, the seats shredded.

          The facade of the Saudia station also was heavily damaged and there was a hole 6-feet deep and 9-feet wide in front. Bloodied and badly burned bodies were rushed to the hospital.

          More than 40 people were killed and at least 200 injured in the explosions, said Ali Hussein, an emergency physician at Basra's main hospital. Dozens of bodies filled the morgue and in the hallways of Basra's Educational Hospital, the city's largest.

          Another five dead and 36 injured were evacuated to a second hospital, Basra General Hospital, hospital officials said.

          In London, a Ministry of Defense spokeswoman said that no British troops had been hurt in the blasts, and that attempts by British forces to help were being hampered by protesters.

          "Basra has been mainly calm, certainly whilst the trouble has been going on in Fallujah. It is worrying," she said on condition of anonymity.

          Also Wednesday, about 35 Iraqi insurgents attacked U.S. Marines in the besieged city of Fallujah with rocket-propelled grenades and small arms, setting off a heavy gunbattle, the military said. No casualties were immediately reported.

          Honduran soldiers pose with U.S. troops on a Bradley fighting vehicle, at a Honduran base in Najaf, Iraq, Tuesday April 20, 2004. Honduras has decided to pull its troops out of Iraq.  [AP]
          Iraqi security forces, some wearing flak jackets and carrying weapons, moved back into Fallujah, 35 miles west of Baghdad, on Tuesday, part of an agreement between U.S. officials and local leaders aimed at ending hostilities. The accord calls on insurgents to hand in weapons and allows civilians to return.

          U.S. officials have warned that if guerrillas do not surrender their weapons, Marines are prepared to storm the city — likely sparking a new round of bloody fighting.

          On Tuesday, a senior member of Ahmad Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress was appointed to head the all-Iraqi tribunal — a potentially controversial choice.

          Chalabi, a longtime exile who returned to Iraq and was named to the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council, is mistrusted as an outsider by many Iraqis who want to see Saddam prosecuted by Iraqis who were present under his brutal rule.

          Meanwhile, guerrillas fired a barrage of mortar rounds at Baghdad's largest prison, killing 22 prisoners in an attack a U.S. general said may have been an attempt to spark an inmate uprising against American guards. The slain prisoners were all security detainees, meaning they were suspected of belonging to the anti-U.S. insurgency or to Saddam's former regime.

          A U.S. soldier was killed by a roadside bomb in the northern city of Mosul: It was the 100th American combat death in April, the deadliest month since the U.S.-led invasion began in March 2003.

          At least 1,100 Iraqis have been killed in fighting since the start of the month, according to an Associated Press count based on reports from hospitals and Iraqi and U.S. officials.

          Tuesday's mortar attack was the bloodiest against the sprawling prison complex of Abu Ghraib in western Baghdad. Ninety-two prisoners were wounded, 25 of them seriously, said Col. Jill Morgenthaler, a U.S. military spokeswoman.

          "This isn't the first time that we have seen this kind of attack. We don't know if they are trying to inspire an uprising or a prison break," Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt told AP. In August, six security prisoners were killed in a mortar attack on the lockup, which was once Saddam's most notorious prison.

          In the tribunal appointments, Salem Chalabi, a U.S.-educated lawyer and nephew of Ahmad Chalabi, was named by the Governing Council as director-general of the court, said INC spokesman Entefadh Qanbar.

          Salem Chalabi named seven judges and four prosecutors, and further judges will be appointed, Qanbar said.

          No date has been set for the trial of Saddam, who was captured by U.S. troops in December and has since been undergoing CIA and FBI interrogation at an undisclosed location in or near Baghdad.

          On the council, Ahmad Chalabi, a favorite of the Pentagon architects of the Iraq invasion, has been a fierce proponent of expunging traces of Saddam's regime. He heads an official De-Baathification Commission that has been aggressive in purging Iraqis with links to Saddam's dissolved party from government positions — so aggressive that even some U.S. officials have complained that it was getting rid of needed expertise.

          Any trial of Saddam is sure to begin after the June 30 transfer of power to a caretaker Iraqi government, after which the Governing Council will be dissolved.

          If Chalabi's status is diminished in that handover, "there is a very good chance ... this court may see a change in its membership," said Adeed Dawisha, professor of political science at Miami University in Ohio.

          Ahmad Chalabi's INC held a seat on the Governing Council commission that drew up the Saddam tribunal.

          U.N. envoy Lakhdar Brahimi has recommended the council be dissolved on June 30 and a caretaker government of technocrats take its place. "Then certainly (Chalabi) and the INC will have a diminution in their political status," Dawisha said.

          "If that happens, will the judge who is a relative of Chalabi be able to survive, or will the new government appoint a new group of people?"

          Elections due by Jan. 31 for a government to replace the caretaker one also affect the tribunal. A court formed by an elected government would have more legitimacy in the eyes of Iraqis, Dawisha said.

          Iraqis — particularly the Shiite Muslim majority repressed by the Baathists — have been eager to try the man who ruled them with an iron fist for decades. Shiites, particularly local leaders with grassroots support, are likely to dominate any elected government and could want to see their own people lead Saddam's prosecution.

          The tribunal named Tuesday will not be an international one. However, its Iraqi judges and prosecutors will be trained in international and war crimes law and look at the experiences of bodies such as the Rwanda war crimes tribunal, said INC spokesman Entefadh Qanbar, who announced Salem Chalabi's appointment.

          The court will determine charges against Saddam and his fellow Baathists, Qanbar said.

          A team of Justice Department prosecutors and investigators has been gathering evidence for a war crimes case against Saddam, while other international groups have been sifting through the mass graves where U.S. officials say 300,000 victims of Saddam's regime were buried.

          Aside from the regime's brutal persecution of political opponents, Kurds and Shiite Muslims, Saddam's military used chemical weapons against troops and civilians during the Iraq-Iraq War and a Kurdish uprising of the 1980s.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Tough action to wipe out `killer' milk powder

           

             
           

          Forced demolitions blur rights

           

             
           

          China opposes Vietnamese islands tour

           

             
           

          Mubarak: Arabs hate US more than ever

           

             
           

          Housing prices jump causes overheat worries

           

             
           

          Blasts kill 45 at Iraq police stations

           

             
            Blasts kill 45 at Iraq police stations
             
            Israel keeps targeting Hamas leaders; 4 die in clashes
             
            Mubarak: Arabs hate US more than ever
             
            USA Today editor quits in wake of scandal
             
            Iraqi tribunal to try Saddam
             
            Libya extends deadline on ending US sanctions
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          US tries to repair Iraq coalition cracks
             
          21 prisoners die in Iraq prison bombing
             
          Iraqi tribunal to try Saddam
             
          Honduras to pull troops soon from Iraq
             
          Sadr tells followers to stop attacks on Spanish troops
             
          Spain says Iraq troops home in less than 6 weeks
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩精品无码免费专区网站| 国厂精品114福利电影免费| 日韩伦理片| 国产成人A区在线观看视频| 在线a级毛片无码免费真人| 人妻无码久久中文字幕专区| 91人妻熟妇在线视频| 青青国产揄拍视频| 男女肉粗暴进入120秒视频| 亚洲欧洲一区二区福利片| 亚洲香蕉av一区二区蜜桃| 国精品午夜福利不卡视频| 久久精品无码一区二区小草| 天天爽天天爽天天爽| 亚洲大尺度视频在线播放| 亚洲色大18成人网站www在线播放 人妻少妇伦在线无码专区视频 | 国产精品免费AⅤ片在线观看 | 国产欧美日韩视频一区二区三区| 人妻中文字幕精品系列| 国产乱精品一区二区三区| av高清无码 在线播放| 91久久性奴调教国产免费| 狠狠噜天天噜日日噜无码| 人人妻人人狠人人爽天天综合网| 美女一区二区三区在线观看视频 | av一区二区人妻无码| 亚洲av成人精品免费看| 国产精品久久久一区二区三区 | 亚洲乱码中文字幕小综合| 国产精品人成视频免费国产| 国产日韩综合av在线| 激情综合网激情综合| 免费乱理伦片在线观看| 奇米四色7777中文字幕| 亚洲精品一区二区三区中文字幕| 欲色欲色天天天www| 性奴sm虐辱暴力视频网站| 欧美性群另类交| 亚洲天堂男人的天堂在线| 狠狠色丁香婷婷久久综合不卡 | 亚洲精品日韩久久精品|