<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Iraq violence scaring some contractors
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-23 09:25

          Violence across Iraq has interrupted repair on key electricity and water systems and forced giant firms Siemens AG, Bechtel and General Electric to suspend some reconstruction projects, threatening to undermine the critical U.S. goal of rebuilding Iraq.

          Iraqis close their electronics shop in the center of Baghdad, Iraq, April 22, 2004. German engineering giant Siemens AG pulled its employees out of Iraq, and U.S.-based General Electric Co. suspended some of its operations because of security concerns, officials said Thursday.  [AP]
          Even the U.S. Agency for International Development, which oversees some reconstruction projects, has been affected. Some 10 percent of its non-Iraqi employees are outside the country, either sent out of Iraq or unable to come in because of the violence.

          Rebuilding infrastructure is key to Iraq's economic growth and would show Iraqis a tangible benefit of the U.S.-led occupation, which many feel has brought instability. Iraqis often complain about sporadic electricity supplies in particular.

          Staffers for Germany-based Siemens have stopped their work refurbishing a pair of generators at a crucial electrical plant in southern Baghdad. GE workers have left a project building a new power plant in the same area. Work by Iraqi employees and other foreign contractors continues at both sites.

          The plant where Siemens was working is key to boosting generating capacity to meet the surge in power demand during Iraq's scorching summer. A coalition spokesman said the goal for electricity production — 6,000 megawatts a day — will be met on schedule in June.

          But an official with the U.S. Agency for International Development, speaking on condition of anonymity, was less clear when the goal would be reached, saying only that generators should produce 6,000 megawatts at some point during the summer.

          In south-central Iraq, work has been interrupted at three water and sanitation projects because violence by a radical Shiite militia prevents workers from reaching their jobs.

          Violence this month has targeted foreigners helping in the reconstruction. Insurgents have attacked military supply convoys and killed five U.S. civilian contractors. Several dozen foreigners have been kidnapped in the past weeks, forcing them to sharply cut back travel.

          Four employees of Houston-based KBR, a branch of Halliburton Co. and a major military contractor, are missing since an attack on their convoy outside Baghdad. The company was known previously as Kellogg, Brown & Root.

          On Thursday, masked gunmen in northern Baghdad shot and killed a South African security contractor at a neighborhood supermarket, said Dan Senor, a U.S. spokesman in Iraq.

          Several countries including Germany and Japan have urged their citizens to leave Iraq.

          Siemens spokesman Andreas Fischer, in Munich, Germany, refused to say whether any Iraqi projects had been suspended. But Iraqi Electricity Minister Ayham Al-Samarei said Siemens stopped some operations after the German Foreign Ministry warned its citizens on April 12 to leave the country.

          The Siemens suspension affects work at Baghdad's al-Doura power station, where the renovations are part of a campaign to increase Iraq's power generating capacity from current levels of about 4,000 megawatts.

          "I am sure they will come back," al-Samarei told The Associated Press. "Siemens has lots of work in Iraq. So their absence will be very short."

          A coalition official said Siemens was still working at another site in northern Iraq.

          "We are still committed to help to rebuild the infrastructure, and it is our intention to continue the work as long as we can assure the safety of our employees in Iraq," Fischer said.

          GE is also holding up some work.

          "We have had delays in some of our work in Iraq because of the security measures that have been put in place," said GE spokesman Gary Sheffer. "Work is continuing in some cases. In some other cases the work has been delayed."

          A spokesman for construction giant Bechtel said that about 10 percent of the company's projects have been suspended due to the violence.

          "At the others work is continuing," said Bechtel spokesman Francis Canavan.

          About 10 percent of the projects overseen by USAID have been affected because foreign contract employees and sometimes even Iraqi staff cannot reach the work sites, mainly in Baghdad and south-central Iraq, said Tom Wheelock, USAID's director for infrastructure projects.

          Another USAID official said on condition of anonymity that 10 percent of the non-Iraqi staffers assigned to the country were now outside Iraq.

          Last month, gunmen killed a British and a Canadian security guard protecting foreign engineers working for GE.

          KBR said it had no plans to withdraw staff from Iraq. KBR has 24,000 employees and subcontractors in Iraq and Kuwait and helps supply the U.S. military with food and fuel.

          "We are absolutely not pulling out," said Melissa Norcross, a spokeswoman for KBR in Iraq and Kuwait.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Beijing reports suspected SARS case, China on alert

           

             
           

          Report: N. Korea train crash kills thousands

           

             
           

          Bush vows to sticks to one-China policy

           

             
           

          US urged to stop Taiwan arms sales

           

             
           

          Alleged collegiate killer goes on trial

           

             
           

          Milk found bad in dead infant case

           

             
            Official: Iraqi government won't include legislature
             
            Report: N. Korea train crash kills thousands
             
            Arafat expels 20 militants from compound
             
            Iraq violence scaring some contractors
             
            Brazil prison riot ends, nine killed
             
            First French gay wedding set for June -- Mayor
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Islamic nations open meeting on Iraq, Israel
             
          Saudis blame al Qaeda for suicide bomb
             
          US General: Much of Iraq's forces have quit
             
          18 children among 68 dead in Basra bombs
             
          Blasts hit Riyadh, Basra; dozens killed
             
          US tries to repair Iraq coalition cracks
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 精选国产av精选一区二区三区| 2021国产v亚洲v天堂无码| 久久久精品国产亚洲AV蜜 | 性色av一区二区三区夜夜嗨| 日本大香伊一区二区三区| 国产h视频在线观看| 国产三级黄色片在线观看| 国产成人亚洲欧美二区综合| 亚洲色大成网站WWW国产| 欧美孕妇乳喷奶水在线观看| 成人国产亚洲精品一区二| 永久免费av无码网站直播| 亚洲韩国精品无码一区二区三区| 52熟女露脸国语对白视频| 欧美丰满熟妇性XXXX| 99福利一区二区视频| 亚洲免费一区二区av| 欧洲无码一区二区三区在线观看| 亚洲av一区二区在线看| 人人妻人人澡人人爽人人精品电影| 人妻少妇精品久久| 久久无码字幕中文久久无码| L日韩欧美看国产日韩欧美| 日本一区二区三区后入式| 性xxxxxx中国寡妇mm| 国产精品v片在线观看不卡| 潮喷失禁大喷水av无码| 亚洲色大成网站WWW久久| 99r久视频精品视频在线| 成人啪精品视频网站午夜| 亚洲国产精品热久久一区| 777奇米四色成人影视色区| 人妻va精品va欧美va| av在线播放无码线| 精品亚洲无人区一区二区| www国产精品内射熟女| 亚洲V天堂V手机在线| 9色国产深夜内射| 国产高在线精品亚洲三区| 免费看内射乌克兰女| 亚洲精品一区二区三区小|