<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US lifts most sanctions against Libya
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-24 09:02

          The Bush administration lifted most US sanctions against Libya on Friday, opening the way for US investments and commercial activities but still forbidding air travel and some exports to the country, the White House said.


          Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi meets with Austrian leaders in this photo taken Sunday near Tripoli.
          The decision came in recognition of the steps Libya has taken during the past two months to renounce terrorism and to voluntarily eliminate its weapons of mass destruction and longer-range missile programs, White House officials said.

          "Libya has set a standard that we hope other nations will emulate in rejecting weapons of mass destruction and in working constructively with international organizations to halt the proliferation of the world's most dangerous systems," the White House said in a written statement.

          The lifting of the sanctions makes most commercial business, investment and trade with Libya possible but maintains controls on exports to Libya in accordance with the State Department's State Sponsors of Terrorism list. The removal of sanctions means the United States will no longer punish countries that do business with Libya.

          Libya already has scheduled loading of 1 million barrels of crude oil to ship to a US company, Abdullah Gheblawi, general manager for international marketing for state-owned National Oil Corp., told Reuters.

          In February, the United States dropped its 23-year ban on travel to Libya by US citizens and permitted Americans to spend money in the country. Report: Libya among safest places to do business

          The lifting of commercial restrictions will also make Libyan students eligible to study in the United States, subject to school admission.

          The statement also said Washington will drop its objection to Libya's attempts to enter the World Trade Organization.

          The restraints on US exports to Libya under the State Department's terrorism list prohibit the sale of so-called dual-use goods -- items that could be used for military purposes -- such as ammunition and some goods related to civil aviation.

          On Tuesday, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said that last year, "Libya held to its practice in recent years of curtailing support for international terrorism," but Tripoli continues to "maintain contact with some past terrorist clients."

          A State Department official said Friday that the administration is undertaking a review of Libyan involvement in terrorism in an effort to identify what remains for Tripoli to do to get off the terrorism list.

          Friday's lifting of sanctions did not include reinstating direct air service between the United States and Libya, nor is the release of frozen Libyan government assets authorized. But it does expand diplomatic relations. The State Department intends to establish a US liaison office in Tripoli, pending congressional notification, the White House said. Libya is expected to send diplomats to the United States shortly.

          Senior State Department officials said Friday's move was part of a "carefully calculated series of steps" the United States decided to take in response to Libya's cooperation on weapons of mass destruction.

          "We have been justifiably cautious about re-engaging," one official said. "We are proceeding carefully. But we have seen Libya do things nobody expected them to do, and they did them with a rapidity that has left some ... breathless."

          The Libyan government is to make payments to the families of victims of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988. Libya accepted responsibility for the bombing last year.

          The lifting of the sanctions does not detract from Libya's obligation to pay $2.7 billion, or $10 million per family, in compensation for the 270 victims.

          The United States imposed travel and other restrictions on Libya in the early 1980s and added broad sanctions in 1986 after Libya was blamed for the bombing of a disco in Berlin, Germany, that killed two US servicemen and a Turkish woman, and wounded 229, including 79 Americans.

          The sanctions were expanded by the Iran and Libya Sanctions Act of 1996, which cited Libya's failure to comply with UN resolutions, support of terrorism and efforts to acquire weapons of mass destruction.

          Senior State Department officials said Friday that before the U.S. fully restores diplomatic relations with Libya, it wants Libya to resolve outstanding legal claims with Germany and other countries who charge Libya was responsible for terrorist attacks on their soil. The United States is also concerned about Libya's human rights record, and wants Tripoli to complete some remaining issues pertaining to its disarmament -- described by one official as "dotting i's and crossing t's."

          "This is an important step along the way," this official said, adding that if the Libyans continue to demonstrate the same commitment to addressing these issues that it did to the weapons of mass destruction issue, the US "will respond accordingly."

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Hu: China to quadruple GDP by 2020 to $4 trillion

           

             
           

          Legislators to amend methods on HK issues

           

             
           

          Website loses case over MP3 downloads

           

             
           

          Working age population to hit 940m by 2020

           

             
           

          22 detained for fake milk products

           

             
           

          Lakers edges Rockets 92-88 in OT, leads 3-1

           

             
            Karzai invites Taliban to join in Afghan poll
             
            US troops to begin patrols in Fallujah
             
            Israel plays down threat to Arafat
             
            Aventis accepts sweetened Sanofi bid
             
            Cosmetics Queen Estee Lauder dies at 97
             
            Abortion supporters rally in Washington
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Libya extends deadline on ending US sanctions
             
          Blair invites Libya to join war on terror
             
          Libya to destroy chemical weapons from Friday
             
          Questions over Pakistan gov't role in nuke scandal
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 性XXXX视频播放免费直播| 网友偷拍视频一区二区三区| 中文字幕久久久久人妻中出| 最新国产色视频在线播放| 亚洲国产精品第一二三区| 狠狠色综合久久狠狠色综合| 亚洲中文字幕一区二区| 亚洲а∨精品天堂在线| julia中文字幕久久亚洲| 高清中文字幕国产精品| 欧美自慰一级看片免费| 国产三级精品三级色噜噜| 亚洲女人的天堂在线观看| 少妇潮喷无码白浆水视频| 国产精品乱码一区二区三| 五月天久久综合国产一区二区 | 亚洲欧美国产另类视频| 北岛玲亚洲一区二区三区| 91精品国产三级在线观看| 国产乱码精品一区二区麻豆| 老司机性色福利精品视频| 国产亚洲精品福利在线无卡一 | 一区二区三区在线 | 欧洲| 人妻av无码系列一区二区三区| 久久精品国产一区二区涩涩| 国产一区二区精品久久岳| 欧美在线观看网址| 一区二区偷拍美女撒尿视频| 久久亚洲精品中文字幕波多野结衣| 国产午夜精品一区二区三| 年轻女教师hd中字3| 亚洲av午夜福利精品一区二区| 久久亚洲中文字幕伊人久久大| 国产美女午夜福利视频| 在线免费观看亚洲天堂av| 日韩成人免费无码不卡视频| 久久精品国产清自在天天线| 秋霞电影网久久久精品| 亚洲欧美国产日韩天堂区| 天堂а√在线地址在线| 真实国产老熟女无套内射|