<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Bush, Cheney take 9/11 questions for 3+ hours
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-30 08:41

          U.S. President Bush said he and Vice President Dick Cheney answered every question on Thursday from the panel investigating the Sept. 11 attacks and denied their joint appearance was aimed at keeping their story straight.


          U.S. President George W. Bush speaks to the press corps in the Rose Garden of the White House after meeting with the 9-11 April 29, 2004. Bush said he and Vice President Dick Cheney answered all the questions from commission during an extraordinary session of more than three hours. [Reuters]
          In comments afterward in the White House Rose Garden, Bush declared the extraordinary, three-hour-and-10-minute session a success that he hoped would lead to recommendations about how to guard against future attacks because "we are still vulnerable to attack."

          He dismissed criticism from Democrats that he wanted to appear together with Cheney so they would not contradict each other.

          "Look, if we had something to hide we wouldn't have met with them in the first place. We answered all their questions. As I say, I came away good about the session because I wanted them to know how I set strategy, how we run the White House, how we deal with threats," Bush said.

          The president had only agreed to meet the commission under pressure from victims' families and the panel, and only on condition he have Cheney at his side and they meet in private, with no recording of the session. They were not under oath.

          Against a backdrop of a presidential campaign year and amid fears that al Qaeda operatives are planning a new attack in the United States, Bush and Cheney gathered with the five Republicans and five Democrats on the commission in the very heart of presidential power, the Oval Office.

          Bush and Cheney were seated on chairs by the fireplace, and commission members were scattered on couches and chairs. Their talks went back to the transition period between the departing Clinton White House and the incoming Bush team.

          A commission source said the meeting turned up some new information for the panel. "We learned a lot," the source said without elaborating. "There was quite a bit we hadn't known."

          The White House, reluctant to provide details, acknowledged one area of questioning was related to Bush's response to an Aug. 6, 2001, presidential intelligence memo entitled "Bin Ladin Determined to Strike In US" that Bush released under pressure from the commission on April 10.

          The memo said al Qaeda members were in the United States before the Sept. 11, 2001, commercial airliner attacks and that the FBI had detected suspicious patterns of activity "consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks."

          Bush has said the memo's usefulness was limited because it did not point to a specific target, a position he maintained. 

          Former counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke has said Bush did not heed his warnings that al Qaeda was an urgent threat.

          Cheney was asked about some of his actions on Sept. 11 itself, when he made decisions from a White House bunker while Bush was on Air Force One, unable to return to Washington.

          The commission issued a statement that said Bush and Cheney had been "forthcoming and candid" and their input would be of great assistance as it works to complete a final report.

          Two Democrats on the panel, Vice Chairman Lee Hamilton and former U.S. Sen. Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, left the session about an hour early.

          Hamilton, a former congressman from Indiana, left to introduce visiting Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin at a lunch. Kerrey left to meet New Mexico Republican Sen. Pete Domenici.

          Both Republican and Democratic members came away impressed after the questioning. Democrat Timothy Roemer told CNN the panel asked "very tough questions, very respectful questions" and received "very direct and cooperative answers from the president and vice president."

          A Republican commissioner, former Illinois Gov. Jim Thompson, said that 95 percent of the questions were directed at Bush and that there were no adversarial moments.

          Bush, he said by telephone, "was cool, he was passionate, he answered every question, he was knowledgeable and he was very much in charge."

          Thompson said he believed it was helpful to have Bush and Cheney together, and that occasionally Bush would ask Cheney to comment if he had a different view, "but that was rare."

          Bush's advisers are worried the commission's findings will be critical of the president, who is running for re-election in November on his record of fighting terrorism.

          It also came to light separately on Thursday that the head of the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq, Paul Bremer, warned six months before Sept. 11 that the Bush administration seemed to be paying no attention to the terrorism problem and appeared to "stagger along" on the issue.

          Bremer, who in 1999 chaired a national commission on terrorism, gave a speech on Feb. 26, 2001, in which he said the "general terrorist threat" was increasing.

          "The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem of terrorism," Bremer said. "What they will do is stagger along until there's a major incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh, my God, shouldn't we be organized to deal with this?"'

          The 9/11 panel is working to complete its final report by July 26. 

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Wen's top challenge is development deckhead

           

             
           

          Beijing confirms 2 SARS patients

           

             
           

          Consumers angry over bank card tricks

           

             
           

          Holiday to see 90m travellers

           

             
           

          Korean nuclear issue centre of discussions

           

             
           

          Leaders held responsible for accidents

           

             
            Bush, Cheney take 9/11 questions for 3+ hours
             
            Google to go public in $2.7 bln offering
             
            10 US soldiers killed in spate of attacks
             
            Washington's World War II memorial opens to public
             
            Ex-nurse pleads guilty in patient deaths
             
            Colombia backhoe crush kills 23, hurts 36
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          US: Nuclear weapons sites still vulnerable
             
          CIA chief: US lacks tools to combat al-Qaeda
             
          FBI, Justice Dept. facing 9/11 panel
             
          Bush was satisfied on pre-9/11 probes
             
          9/11 panel head: findings will surprise
             
          Kerry: Bush 'stonewalling' 9/11 probe
             
          Bush OKs private talk with 9/11 panel
            News Talk  
            Will the new national flag fly?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 宅男午夜网站在线观看| 亚洲一区二区三区无码久久| 亚洲成在人线AV品善网好看| 久久av高潮av喷水av无码| 中文字幕无码免费不卡视频| 亚洲男人成人性天堂网站| 久久精品成人免费看| 成人无码视频在线观看免费播放| 国产精品久久中文字幕第一页| 亚洲情A成黄在线观看动漫尤物| 国模精品一区二区三区| 国产乱老熟女乱老熟女视频| 欧美色欧美亚洲高清在线视频| 精品日韩亚洲av无码| 亚洲综合久久一区二区三区| 欧美国产日本高清不卡| 欧美不卡无线在线一二三区观| 国产精品视频网国产| 国产免费一区二区不卡| 成人av在线一区二区三区| 国产日韩av一区二区在线| 国产女人在线视频| 久久久久四虎精品免费入口| 福利视频一区二区在线| 亚洲欧美色综合影院| 国产高在线精品亚洲三区| 天天做天天爱夜夜爽女人爽| 国产综合久久亚洲综合| 亚洲国产清纯| 欧美午夜成人片在线观看| 琪琪777午夜理论片在线观看播放| 国产成人午夜精品福利| 少妇人妻在线视频| 噜噜噜噜私人影院| 亚洲中文色欧另类欧美| 日本高清在线观看WWW色| 久久伊人色| 九九热在线免费视频播放| 精品无码一区二区三区爱欲九九| 国产在线一区二区在线视频| 国产成人精品2021欧美日韩|