<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US reopens 1955 killing of black youth
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-05-11 09:31

          U.S. Justice Department is reopening the murder investigation of Emmett Till, a black Chicago teenager killed during a 1955 visit to Mississippi apparently because he whistled at a white man's wife.


          Emmett Till [AP/File]
          The murder was an early spark for the civil rights movement. The only two people ever charged in the case, the husband of the woman Till purportedly whistled at and his half brother, were acquitted by an all-white jury, although they later admitted to the killing in a magazine interview. Both are dead.

          R. Alexander Acosta, the assistant attorney general for civil rights, said recent documentary films about the case and other new information indicate the two had accomplices who may still be alive and could be prosecuted under Mississippi state law.

          "We owe it to Emmett Till and we owe it to ourselves to see whether after all these years some additional measure of justice remains possible," Acosta said at a news conference.

          The decision follows a lengthy campaign by the NAACP, members of Congress and Till's mother, Mamie Till Mobley, to get the Justice Department to reopen the case. Mobley, who died in Chicago last year at age 81, is widely credited with generating attention for her son's murder by showing his battered body in an open casket at his funeral.


          A large crowd gathers outside the Roberts Temple Church of God In Christ in Chicago, Illinois, September 6, 1955 as pallbearers carry the casket of Emmett Till. [AP] 
          Airickca Gordon, a cousin of Till's who was close to his mother, said the family was elated at the news.

          "Even though she's now deceased, I feel her spirit will be so much at peace," Gordon said.

          The Till case gave many Americans a closer look at the segregated South, its Jim Crow laws and lynchings. The slaying occurred a little over a year after the Supreme Court's landmark Brown v. Board of Education decision outlawed state-sponsored school segregation and about 100 days before seamstress Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat in the white section of a segregated bus in Montgomery, Ala.

          Till was visiting relatives when he was abducted from his uncle's home in Money, Miss., on Aug. 28, 1955, a few days after allegedly whistling at Carolyn Bryant at her family's store. The 14-year-old's mutilated body was found by fishermen three days later in the Tallahatchie River.

          Carolyn Bryant's husband, Roy Bryant, and his half brother, J.W. Milam, were acquitted by a jury that deliberated 67 minutes. The Justice Department never investigated the case despite appeals from Till's mother and others.

          In 1956, Look magazine published an account of the slaying in which Milam admitted he and Bryant were guilty. They could not be tried again for murder because the Constitution bars prosecutors from trying someone a second time for the same crime.

          In the article, Milam recounted the incident that led to Till's murder.

          "'Chicago boy,' I said, 'I'm tired of them sending your kind down here to stir up trouble,"' Milam was quoted as saying. "I'm going to make an example of you, just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand."

          Milam said he beat Till and shot him in the head with a .45-caliber pistol, then used barbed wire to tie a heavy metal fan around Till's neck and dumped the body in the river. No other accomplices were mentioned.

          Stanley Nelson, producer and director of the PBS documentary, "The Murder of Emmett Till," said in a telephone interview Monday that several witnesses with whom he spoke indicated others were involved. Most of those witnesses, Nelson said, were not contacted by authorities at the time.

          "We started to find people who had things to say, who should have testified at the trial," Nelson said. "It was never really investigated. At least we can get some kind of closure."

          Another documentary filmmaker, Keith A. Beauchamp, found evidence after examining the case for nine years for "The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till." He believes as many as seven additional people may have been involved, many of them still alive.

          The five-year statute of limitations in effect in 1955 means no federal charges could be brought but state charges may still apply, Acosta said. The FBI and Justice Department prosecutors will work on the investigation with Joyce Chiles, district attorney for Mississippi's 4th Judicial District.

          Other civil rights-era killings in Mississippi have been reopened with mixed results.

          In 1994, Byron de la Beckwith was convicted of the 1963 murder of NAACP field secretary Medgar Evers. But there has been little progress in an effort to bring murder charges for the 1964 slayings of three civil rights workers in Neshoba County, Mississippi. Those killings were chronicled in the film "Mississippi Burning."

          The Justice Department in 2003 won a conviction against Ernest Henry Avants for his involvement in the 1966 murder in Mississippi of Ben Chester White, a black sharecropper. Avants, a reputed member of the Ku Klux Klan, was sentenced to life in prison.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China, Britain push for stronger relations

           

             
           

          Taiwan recount to settle vote dispute

           

             
           

          China denies plan of administrative remap

           

             
           

          Tornado pummels Guangdong areas, kills 6

           

             
           

          Red Cross: Iraq abuse routine, systematic

           

             
           

          Pedestrians obey laws or pay up

           

             
            US reopens 1955 killing of black youth
             
            Red Cross: Iraq abuse routine, systematic
             
            Bush's backing of Rumsfeld shocks and angers Arabs
             
            US Embassy in Japan receives bomb threat
             
            Newspaper scores Rumsfeld, Myers for 'professional negligence'
             
            Mandela, in farewell speech, slams Iraq war
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Scandal over humiliation of Iraqi prisoners  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 麻豆成人传媒一区二区| 最新日韩精品视频在线| 人妻有码中文字幕在线| 日韩成人大屁股内射喷水| 亚洲一区二区三区日本久久| 亚洲综合无码一区二区| 亚洲一区二区三区av链接| 亚洲人成网站18禁止无码| 人人妻人人做人人爽| 成人做受120秒试看试看视频| 无码一区+中文字幕| 日本免费一区二区三区久久| 亚洲一区精品视频在线 | 国产成人AV无码精品天堂| 悠悠人体艺术视频在线播放| 粉嫩小泬无遮挡久久久久久| 极品美女自拍偷精品视频| 色噜噜狠狠色综合成人网| 99在线视频免费观看| 国产在线不卡精品网站| 涩涩爱狼人亚洲一区在线| 在线一区二区中文字幕| 无码三级中文字幕在线观看| 国产草草影院ccyycom| 首页 动漫 亚洲 欧美 日韩| 久久精品夜色噜噜亚洲av| 成人欧美日韩一区二区三区| 天堂av成人网在线观看| 亚洲一区二区三区在线| 亚洲av午夜福利精品一区二区| 国产在视频线在精品视频2020| 中文字幕日韩精品亚洲一区| 91在线视频视频在线| 精品国产一区二区三区国产馆| 无码熟妇人妻AV在线影片最多| 人妻丝袜av中文系列先锋影音| 国产在线午夜不卡精品影院| 亚洲日韩av无码一区二区三区人| 亚洲人成小说网站色在线| 国产欧美一区二区三区视频在线观看| 亚洲国产成人综合精品|