<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          U.S. Justice Dept. rewrites prison advice
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-06-24 08:58

          The US Justice Department is rewriting its legal advice on how far U.S. interrogators can go to pry information from detainees, working under much different circumstances from the writers of earlier memos that appeared to justify torture.

          The first memos were written not long after the Sept. 11 attacks, while the new advice is being crafted against the backdrop of prisoner abuse in Iraq.

          Justice Department lawyers will spend several weeks reviewing and revising several key 2002 documents, especially a 50-page memo to the White House on Aug. 1, 2002, that critics have characterized as setting the legal tone for the mistreatment of prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison.

          "The reason the original memo was so damaging was that it was consistent with a pattern of conduct from Afghanistan to Guantanamo Bay to Iraq," Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law professor at George Washington University, said Wednesday.

          A day after releasing hundreds of pages of legal memos on the terror war, Bush administration officials reiterated that even though President Bush signed a declaration in 2002 saying he had the authority to ignore international rules for treatment of captives, no orders were given to torture or mistreat prisoners.

          The unusual decision to release the memos and disclose that some were being revised came amid intense political pressure from Democrats and other critics stemming from the Iraq and Afghan abuses. Yet no Bush administration officials flatly said the memos were wrong.

          Current and former Justice Department officials rejected criticism that the Aug. 1 memo, signed by then-Assistant Attorney General Jay Bybee, laid a legal foundation for torture. They said that the memo's sections along such lines never became administration policy and that no detainees had been mistreated at Guantanamo Bay.

          They also said that no Justice Department memo on interrogations addressed the war in Iraq, which the administration determined was governed by the Geneva Conventions and that treaty's rules for treatment of prisoners of war.

          One of the most controversial sections of the Bybee memo that appears targeted for change or removal is entitled "The President's Commander-in-Chief Power." Over the next nine pages, Bybee lays out arguments that a key U.S. anti-torture law would be unconstitutional "if it impermissibly encroached on the president's constitutional power to conduct a military campaign."

          "One of the core functions of the commander in chief is that of capturing, detaining, and interrogating members of the enemy," the Bybee memo said.

          Critics say that reasoning goes too far. Some say it would give the president absolute authority in the waging of war.

          "The administration has shown a stunning disregard for the law, resorting time and again to saying 'we are at war,'" said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass. "We are not under martial law in this country. The laws and the Constitution are not suspended because we are at war."

          Democrats on Capitol Hill are pushing to secure release of more Bush administration documents, with some in the House calling for a special committee to investigate abuses at Abu Ghraib.

          "We can't get to the bottom of this unless there is a clear picture of what happened at the top," said Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, senior Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

          Although the administration released memos on interrogation techniques approved for military personnel, the advice given to the CIA and other intelligence agencies remains classified and will not be released, officials say. One CIA contractor has been indicted on charges of severely beating an Afghan prisoner who later died, and others are under investigation.

          It is clear that, in a presidential election year, photos of U.S. personnel abusing prisoners in Iraq made the conclusions of the post-Sept. 11 memos untenable for the Bush administration, legal experts say.

          "The highly charged political context of prisoner mistreatment highlights the sensitive nature of earlier (Justice Department) opinions and casts their manipulation of the law in a critical light," said Thomas Sargentich, an American University law professor and former attorney with the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel.

          John Yoo, a University of California, Berkeley law professor and former Justice Department official, said government lawyers were confronted with a unique foe after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, one to whom conventional rules of war meant nothing.

          "Sept. 11 started a completely new kind of conflict, with a new non-state enemy that fights in unconventional ways that violate the very core notions of the laws of war," Yoo said. "In this new conflict, I think it's good practice for the government to ask questions about the legal lines established in statute by Congress."

          Yoo, who worked with Bybee in the Bush administration's Office of Legal Counsel, declined to comment on the substance of the memos.

          Attorney General John Ashcroft also refused to comment Wednesday, saying that senior agency officials insisting on anonymity had given an "unprecedented" briefing about the documents a day earlier.

          "I don't expect to make further comments about that," Ashcroft said.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Price hikes not to stop until October

           

             
           

          DPRK: Concrete plans can help nuclear talks

           

             
           

          China set to clarify bankruptcy protection

           

             
           

          Audit: US$170 million discovered misused

           

             
           

          Boat sinks killing one, 43 lost

           

             
           

          Locust plague devastates crops

           

             
            US drops UN bid for war crime shield
             
            Suspected mastermind vows to kill Iraq PM
             
            Iran postpones talks on British sailors
             
            Militant vows to assassinate Iraq premier
             
            Iraq militants behead S. Korean hostage
             
            US approved use of dogs against prisoners
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Does the approval of UN resolution on Iraq end daily bloodshed there?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 中文字幕精品乱码亚洲一区99| 无码国内精品人妻少妇| 精品国产福利久久久| 国产一区二区日韩经典| 人妻熟女久久久久久久 | 亚洲国产无套无码av电影| 东京热大乱系列无码| 电影在线观看+伦理片| 国产精品久久久久久久网| 日韩a片无码一区二区五区电影| 国产精品视频亚洲二区| 久艾草在线精品视频在线观看| 一区二区丝袜美腿视频| 欧产日产国产精品精品| 97午夜理论电影影院| 无人区码一码二码三码区| 国产鲁鲁视频在线观看| 亚洲人成人网色www| 日韩精品国产二区三区| 亚洲高清激情一区二区三区| 肉大捧一进一出免费视频| a级毛片视频免费观看| 欧美大胆老熟妇乱子伦视频| 一本色道久久加勒比综合 | 亚洲av首页在线| 无码人妻精品一区二| 国产精品一区中文字幕| 亚洲国产欧美在线看片一国产| 亚洲人成电影在线天堂色| 香蕉乱码成人久久天堂爱| 18禁网站免费无遮挡无码中文 | 日本一区二区在线高清观看| 国产精品免费看久久久麻豆| 亚洲精品一区二区妖精| 国产69精品久久久久久人妻精品| 国产中文字幕日韩精品| 亚洲色欲色欲在线大片| 精品九九人人做人人爱| 日韩在线永久免费播放| 亚洲色欲色欱WWW在线| 精品人妻无码专区中文字幕|