<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Blasts rock turbulent city of Fallujah
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-06-26 00:44

          Explosions and gunfire rocked the turbulent city of Fallujah for a second day Friday after coordinated attacks in other Iraqi cities killed about 100 people less than a week before Iraq's new government takes power.


          Militiamen run to take up positions near U.S. soldiers on the outskirts of Fallujah, Iraq Friday, June 25, 2004. [AP]
          U.S. tanks and armored vehicles maneuvered on the highway near the edges of Fallujah, firing in all directions, while armed men in an eastern suburb returned fire, witnesses said. Seven people died in two days of exchanges there, hospital officials said.

          Hours later, a roadside bomb exploded in a residential neighborhood in Baghdad, killing one Iraqi policeman and wounding another, police said.

          The attacks on security forces fit a pattern of violence that targeted several cities Thursday, when insurgents set off car bombs and seized police stations in an offensive aimed at creating chaos just days before the handover of power to a new Iraqi government. U.S. and Iraqi forces regained control in heavy fighting, but the day's violence killed about 100 people, most of them Iraqi civilians.

          Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's terror network claimed responsibility for Thursday's attacks. Three U.S. soldiers were among the dead. At least 320 people were wounded, including 12 Americans.


          Lance Cpl. Michael Card from Loyall, Kentucky, with the 2nd Battalion of the 1st Marine Division, mans a Humvee-mounted M240 machine gun during an early morning patrol near Falluja, June 25, 2004. [Reuters]

          As the situation worsened, Iraq's interim vice president warned that a drastic deterioration in the country's security could result in the implementation of emergency measures or martial law — however undesirable that may be in a democratic society.

          "Announcing emergency laws or martial law depends on the nature of the situation. In normal situations, there is clearly no need for that (step)," Ibrahim al-Jaafari, a Shiite and member of the Islamic Dawa Party, told The Associated Press in an interview.

          "But in cases of excess challenges, emergency laws have their place," he said, adding that any such laws would fall within a "democratic framework that respects the rights of Iraqis."


          Mosul residents said the northern city was tense Friday, with a marked increase in the number of police on the streets. Fewer people ventured out to markets for fear of more attacks.

          Elsewhere, three mortar shells exploded early Friday near an oil pipeline damaged last week by sabotage, police Capt. Mushtaq Talib said. The latest explosion caused no damage, Talib said.

          Iraq's new leaders recently have suggested the possibility of at least partial martial law in some hotspots around the country as a way of stemming the violence. It is unclear, however, whether U.S. officials would go along with the idea.

          The U.N. Security Council resolution approved this month gives the United States a primary security role in Iraq even after the transfer of sovereignty Wednesday.

          U.S. and Iraqi forces regained control in heavy fighting and American forces set up checkpoints around Iraq to intercept weapons, guerrillas and bombs. They fear that al-Zarqawi, the militant who claimed responsibility for the offensive, plans a string of car bombings in Baghdad, said Col. Michael Formica, commander of the 1st Cavalry Division's 2nd Brigade.

          "There is clearly a transnational threat, as represented by al-Zarqawi, and that threat appears — based on what we've seen in Fallujah and Mosul today — to want to bring the attack to Baghdad," Formica said Thursday.

          A large number of victims from Thursday's attacks were killed in simultaneous car bombings in Mosul, but some also died as U.S. troops battled the guerrillas.

          "We underestimated the nature of the insurgency that we might face during this period, and so the insurgency that we are looking at now ... has become a serious problem for us," Secretary of State Colin Powell told the British Broadcasting Corp.

          The U.S. military responded with heavy firepower, dropping 11 500-pound bombs and a 2,000-pound bomb.

          The assaults were launched Thursday morning, when black-clad guerrillas attacked police stations and government complexes in Baghdad, Baqouba, Mosul, Ramadi and Mahaweel. U.S. troops and insurgents traded heavy fire on the outskirts of Fallujah, where explosions were also heard early Friday.

          The heaviest fighting was in Baqouba, northeast of the capital, where guerrillas shot their way into a government office complex, seized two police stations and destroyed the home of the provincial police chief. The stations were recaptured later, said Maj. Neal O'Brien of the 1st Infantry Division on Friday.

          Two American soldiers died in the Baqouba fighting, the 1st Infantry Division said.

          Insurgents also attacked a police station in a Baqouba suburb late Thursday, killing three officers and injuring one, said Dr. Nassir Jawad, who is in charge of the Baqouba morgue. Isolated skirmishes were also reported into Thursday evening, O'Brien said Friday.

          But the day's worst bloodshed came in Mosul — the country's northern metropolis often touted as a success story in restoring order in Iraq — where the U.S. military said 62 people were killed, including a U.S. soldier, and more than 220 people were wounded.

          Most died when at least four car bombs rocked the police academy, two police stations and the al-Jumhuri hospital.

          U.S. troops recaptured the Sheik Fathi police station in a hail of gunfire, and Iraqi troops raided a nearby mosque used by insurgents, the U.S. military said. Mosul's governor imposed an overnight curfew.

          Al-Zarqawi's followers claimed responsibility for Thursday's attacks in a statement posted on an Islamic Web site often used by his Tawhid and Jihad movement. The statement said the "occupation troops and apostates" — meaning Iraqi police — "were overwhelmed with shock and confusion."

          Al-Zarqawi earlier claimed responsibility for the kidnappings and beheadings of American businessman Nicholas Berg and South Korean hostage Kim Sun-il, and an audiotape released Wednesday purporting to be by al-Zarqawi threatened to kill Iraq's prime minister.

          Analysis showed it likely was al-Zarqawi's voice, a CIA official said.

          American and Iraqi officials insisted the transfer of power would proceed as planned. On Thursday, the coalition turned over the last 11 government ministries to Iraqi officials.

          During the handover ceremony, interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said the attacks were "only acts of disturbances conducted by cowards" meant "to foil the democratic process."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Fire caused by lightning rages in northern forests

           

             
           

          Dozens of drug dealers executed in China

           

             
           

          US arms sales to Taiwan sparks tension

           

             
           

          Israel's deputy PM visits father's Harbin grave

           

             
           

          Poor school kids get letter from Blair

           

             
           

          Reservoir flow to save waterfowl

           

             
            Blasts rock turbulent city of Fallujah
             
            Ninety die in fuel tanker crash in Iran
             
            Two U.S. marines killed in Afghanistan
             
            Iraq attacks kill over 100, wound 320
             
            Bush questioned in CIA leak probe
             
            Bombs explode in Turkey before Bush, NATO summit
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Does the approval of UN resolution on Iraq end daily bloodshed there?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产成人综合在线观看不卡| 五月婷婷中文字幕| 精品人妻少妇一区二区三区在线 | 嫩草研究院久久久精品| 日韩伦理片| 50岁熟妇的呻吟声对白| 伦精品一区二区三区视频| 日本免费一区二区三区日本| 国产对白老熟女正在播放| 国产又猛又爽又黄视频| 在线观看视频一区二区三区| 免费无码又爽又刺激高潮的app| 秋霞在线观看片无码免费不卡| 免费a级毛片无码av| 乱60一70归性欧老妇| 亚洲开心婷婷中文字幕| 最近免费中文字幕mv在线视频3| caoporn免费视频公开| 婷婷伊人久久| 亚洲一区二区三区水蜜桃| 亚洲成人av高清在线| 青草99在线免费观看| 久久夜色撩人精品国产av| 国产偷国产偷亚洲清高| 少妇wwwb搡bbb搡bbb| 国产成人精品亚洲精品密奴| 天堂va亚洲va欧美va国产| 免费的特黄特色大片| 国产精品剧情亚洲二区| 国产又粗又猛又黄又爽无遮挡| 岛国中文字幕一区二区| 国产精品人成在线观看免费| 亚洲人成电影网站 久久影视| 国产精品视频午夜福利| 日韩精品久久不卡中文字幕| 国产视频一区二区三区四区视频| 国产一级特黄高清大片一| 日本视频精品一区二区| 国产热A欧美热A在线视频| 影音先锋人妻啪啪av资源网站| 亚洲精品无码久久久久去q|