<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US charity charged with funding Hamas
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-07-28 09:34

          A major American Muslim charity and seven of its senior officers were charged Tuesday with illegally funneling millions of dollars to support Hamas, a Palestinian terrorist organization blamed for dozens of deadly suicide bomber attacks in Israel.

          A 42-count grand jury indictment unsealed in Dallas alleges the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development used its tax-exempt status to masquerade as a legitimate charity while most of its money was going to individuals and organizations linked to Hamas.


          The offices of the Muslim charity is seen in Richardson, Texas December 4, 2001. [Reuters]
          Holy Land specifically targeted for assistance orphans and families whose relatives had been killed or jailed as a result of Hamas' campaign of violence against Israel, the indictment said. Hamas is on the US State Department's list of foreign terrorist organizations and is described as using violence to try to create an Islamic Palestinian state.

          "The defendants effectively rewarded past, and encouraged future, suicide bombings and terrorist activities on behalf of Hamas," US Attorney General John Ashcroft said.

          Ashcroft said Holy Land and its members had illegally sent overseas about $12.4 million since 1995 to support Hamas. The charity's assets were frozen by the US government in December 2001.

          The indictment names the foundation along with its president, Shukri Abu Baker; chairman, Ghassan Elashi; executive director, Haitham Maghawri; and four others. The charges include providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization, conspiracy, money laundering and filing false tax returns.


          US Attorney General John Ashcroft speaks at a news conference announcing the indictment against the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development Tuesday, July 27, 2004, in Washington. [AP]
          Five of the seven defendants were arrested. Two of them, Maghawri and Akram Mishal, are not in the United States and are being pursued as fugitives. All face lengthy prison sentences if convicted.

          Holy Land lawyer John Boyd declined to comment other than to say that some of the transactions may have occurred in the late 1980s, before Hamas was designated as a terrorist group and such donations to it were illegal.

          Holy Land, which calls itself the largest U.S.-based Muslim charity, had its main office in Richardson, Texas, with other offices in New Jersey, California, Illinois, Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza.

          Holy Land and its officers have adamantly denied connections to terrorism, contending they provide much-needed assistance in Palestinian areas and other Islamic countries for such things as medical clinics, schools, orphans and needy families. On Monday, Holy Land filed a complaint with the Justice Department's inspector general claiming that the FBI fabricated evidence against it.

          In Damascus, Syria, a Hamas official denied a connection to Holy Land.

          "Hamas did not take any penny from the Holy Land Foundation," Moussa Abu Marzouk, a member of the group's political bureau, told The Associated Press. "Hamas has its own means of funding and that is not connected to any institution in the West."

          According to the indictment, Holy Land's main officers met with other Hamas activists in October 1993 to figure out how to back Hamas and also conceal their true aims from authorities.

          "The attendees noted the danger of attracting the terrorist perception, which would undoubtedly compromise their efforts in supporting violent jihad (Muslim holy war)," the indictment said.

          Fund-raising events were held at mosques, conventions, seminars and other programs in which speakers, including some of the Holy Land defendants, "performed skits and songs which advocated the destruction of the state of Israel and glorified the killing of Jewish people," the indictment says.

          Although the government first took action against Holy Land in late 2001, Ashcroft said it took a long time to bring criminal charges because of the complexity of the financial information involved and because prosecutors had to deal with officials in several foreign countries.

          Ashcroft said the anti-terrorism Patriot Act, passed in the weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks, was key to the case because prosecutors gained access to sensitive intelligence information that had been previously unavailable in criminal matters. Some evidence was gained through electronic surveillance under court orders from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, he added.

          Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the U.S. government has identified 383 individuals and groups believed to have helped finance or otherwise support terrorist activities, leading to the freezing of roughly $141 million linked to al-Qaida and other terrorists worldwide. Of that, more than $37 million has been frozen in the United States.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Foreigners encouraged to invest in West China

           

             
           

          Chinese-American faces trial for spying

           

             
           

          Japanese-left bombs injure Jilin boys

           

             
           

          Explosion shakes Chinese embassy in Kabul

           

             
           

          Disasters claim lives, do damage to farmland

           

             
           

          Disease-free zones key to animal husbandry

           

             
            US charity charged with funding Hamas
             
            AP: Terrorists obtain S. Africa passports
             
            Iraqi says US general witnessed abuse
             
            Iraq to hold national conference despite violence
             
            Egypt denies paying ransom for diplomat
             
            US hands over four French terror suspects
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Israeli missiles kill senior Hamas man, two others
             
          Collaborators tremble since Hamas killings
             
          Israel identifies new Hamas leader
             
          Hamas leader seeks Arab-Muslim pact Vs Israel-US
             
          Hamas pledges revenge, names secret leader
             
          Sources: New Hamas leader's identity a secret
             
          Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi is killed in an Israeli missile attack
            News Talk  
            Will Saddam Hussein get a fair trial?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产激情一区二区三区在线| 亚洲综合天堂一区二区三区| xxxx丰满少妇高潮| 亚洲天堂视频在线观看| 国产91色在线精品三级| 国产成人 综合 亚洲欧洲| 国产精品人妻久久毛片高清无卡 | 精品www日韩熟女人妻| 国产偷窥熟女高潮精品视频| 少妇愉情理伦片| 国产精品不卡一区二区久久| 免费无码一区无码东京热| 日韩免费无码视频一区二区三区 | 18黑白丝水手服自慰喷水| 午夜福利精品国产二区| 午夜福利不卡片在线播放免费| 亚洲精品第一区二区在线| 1024国产基地永久免费| 色综合久久人妻精品日韩| 97精品人妻系列无码人妻| 精品一区二区久久久久久久网站| 国产999久久高清免费观看| av色国产色拍| 日产乱码卡一卡2卡三卡四| 成人一区二区三区激情视频 | 国产精品国产高清国产av| 国产成人亚洲欧美二区综合| 最新日韩精品视频在线| 四虎亚洲精品高清在线观看| 国产精品一区二区三粉嫩| av午夜福利一片免费看久久| 黄色av免费在线上看| 亚洲精品一区三区三区在| 好男人视频www在线观看| 婷婷精品国产亚洲AV麻豆不片| 国产午夜视频免费观看| 亚洲男人天堂2018| 国产精品一区二区在线欢| 国产精品免费AⅤ片在线观看 | 亚洲欧美成人aⅴ在线| 国产人妇三级视频在线观看|