<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Clashes threaten to reignite Shi'ite rising in Iraq
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-08-06 09:31

          Followers of rebel cleric Moqtada al-Sadr shot down a U.S. helicopter on Thursday in the Iraqi city of Najaf and two were killed by British troops in Basra in clashes that threatened to reignite a Shi'ite uprising.

          The fighting in Najaf was the heaviest in the city since a rebellion by Sadr's followers in April and May. The city is home to the holiest shrines in Shi'ite Islam, and most Iraqi Shi'ites react with outrage when clashes erupt near the sacred sites.


          Gunmen allied to radical Iraqi Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr deploy during skirmishes with British troops in the southern Iraq city of Basra, August 5, 2004. Followers of rebel cleric Moqtada al-Sadr shot down a U.S. helicopter in the Iraqi city of Najaf and two were killed by British troops in Basra in clashes that threatened to reignite a Shi'ite uprising. [Reuters]
          The U.S. military said it estimated seven of Sadr's fighters were killed in Najaf, and British forces said they killed two militiamen in Basra after an attack by Sadr's men.

          "Coalition forces were attacked with small arms fire and returned fire, killing two enemy fighters," a British military spokeswoman said, adding that no British soldiers were wounded.

          Later on Thursday a spokesman for Sadr, Sheikh Mahmoud al-Sudani, called for the restoration of a truce agreed in June between Sadr's forces and U.S. troops.

          That agreement ended weeks of fighting that killed hundreds of Iraqis in April and May. Under the truce, U.S. troops said they would not enter parts of Najaf. There was no immediate word of a response from U.S. forces.

          Guerrillas had earlier attacked a U.S. convoy near Najaf with a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire, killing one American soldier and wounding five, the U.S. military said.

          Clashes also broke out in impoverished Shi'ite areas of Baghdad. A spokesman for Sadr in Baghdad said one militiaman was killed in the clashes with U.S. troops.

          The U.S. military said the crew of the downed helicopter in Najaf were wounded and evacuated. Sadr's aides said the cleric's Mehdi Army militia had shot down the aircraft.

          Iraq's health ministry said at least three civilians were killed in the Najaf fighting -- including an ambulance driver whose ambulance was hit -- and 25 wounded.

          An aide to Iraq's most revered Shi'ite cleric, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, said Sistani was receiving treatment in Najaf for heart problems and the clashes could affect his health.

          "There is fear that what is happening in Najaf might affect the medical care he needs," Hamed Khafaf told Reuters.

          HEAVY FIGHTING

          The U.S. military said the fighting began at about 3 a.m. (2300 GMT Wednesday) when "a significant number of aggressors" believed to be Mehdi Army militia attacked a police station with machineguns, rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and small arms.

          "Iraqi national guardsmen quickly reinforced Iraqi police, and the two units successfully defended the station from the attackers. Upon arrival of the marines, Mehdi Army members withdrew into the city's exclusion zone," the military said.

          "The attack is an overt violation of the cease-fire agreement reached in June between coalition forces and Moqtada Sadr."

          Sadr's aides said U.S. forces and Iraqi police had attacked first, adding that buildings near Najaf's revered Imam Ali shrine had been damaged, though the shrine itself was not hit.

          The U.S. 1st Infantry Division, which had been in charge of security in Najaf, has recently been replaced by U.S. marines.

          An arrest warrant has been issued for Sadr in connection with the murder of a rival cleric in Najaf last year. But during the truce negotiations with Sadr earlier this year, Iraqi officials said they would not seek his arrest.

          Asked whether Sadr would face arrest, Iraqi Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib said: "We will arrest anybody disturbing the security of Iraq." He said Iraq's new government would impose martial law if necessary to stamp out violence.

          BOMB ATTACK

          In the mixed Sunni and Shi'ite town of Mahawil south of Baghdad, guerrillas detonated a car bomb and sprayed gunfire at a police station, killing at least six people and wounding 24, Iraqi government officials said.

          Interior ministry spokesman Sabah Kadhim said three masked gunmen opened fire on the police station in the town, about 75 km (40 miles) south of Baghdad, and fled. A bomb in a minibus then exploded outside the building.

          Kadhim said two senior police officers were also shot dead on Thursday in the town of Musayyib, near Mahawil.

          Police and Iraqi National Guardsmen have been frequent targets of bomb attacks by guerrillas opposed to the U.S.-backed government and the presence of U.S.-led troops in Iraq.

          There was no new word on the fate of three Indians, three Kenyans and an Egyptian held by kidnappers who have threatened to behead them one by one. The kidnappers want the Kuwaiti firm that employs the men to stop doing business in Iraq and to pay compensation to the victims of U.S. strikes in Falluja.

          Kuwait and Gulf Link Transport Company, their employer, issued a statement on Wednesday urging the kidnappers to resume talks with tribal leader Sheikh Hisham al-Dulaymi, who has been mediating. The guerrillas had accused the firm of not taking them seriously.

          Scores of hostages from two dozen countries have been seized in the last four months. Most have been freed but at least 10 have been killed, sometimes by beheading.

          Iraqi militants killed a Turkish truck driver and two more are missing, Turkey's Foreign Ministry said. A ministry official told Reuters Osman Alisan's body had been identified in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

          Earlier, NTV television reported that Alisan had been shot dead on Monday in Filfayl, about 70 km (40 miles) from the Turkish border, after delivering fuel oil to U.S. forces.

          The Iraqi governor of Anbar province, a volatile area that includes the cities of Falluja and Ramadi, told reporters on Thursday he was resigning as demanded by kidnappers who seized three of his sons in a raid on his house last week.

          A video aired on Abu Dhabi TV showed the governor announcing his resignation, sitting under a flag of the Tawhid and Jihad Group, before being reunited in tearful embraces with his sons.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Farmers reap macro policy rewards

           

             
           

          Shopkeeper punished for fake milk powder

           

             
           

          Japan urged to pay weapons compensation

           

             
           

          Stars, spaceman top poll for youth

           

             
           

          Unsafe injections kill 390,000 prematurely

           

             
           

          Parliament exchange pushes Sino-US ties

           

             
            Clashes threaten to reignite Shi'ite rising in Iraq
             
            Google may have issued shares illegally
             
            Activity reported at al Qaeda camps
             
            Pulled from a hole, Saddam asks: 'America, why?'
             
            N.Y. mosque raided, men held in missile sting
             
            40 killed as rebels, army clash in Yemen
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Iraqi fighters shoot down US helicopter
             
          Iraq coalition vows no more kidnap concessions
             
          Mosul fighting kills 12; hostages freed
             
          Jordanian hostages freed after Iraq raid
             
          Insurgents in Iraq kill 7 Iraqis, 4 US troops
            News Talk  
            How Kerry Can Beat Bush  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 精品国产福利一区二区在线| 亚洲制服无码一区二区三区| 韩国午夜理论在线观看| 日本九州不卡久久精品一区| AV秘 无码一区二| 被灌满精子的少妇视频| 久久久噜噜噜久久| 国产精品成人久久电影| 国产爆乳美女娇喘呻吟| 亚洲精品第一页中文字幕| 国语精品一区二区三区| 精品人妻中文av一区二区三区| 麻豆国产成人AV在线播放| 精品无码一区二区三区爱欲九九| 年日韩激情国产自偷亚洲| 午夜视频免费试看| 亚洲精品久久久久久无码色欲四季 | 人妻中文字幕精品系列| 国产欧美日韩精品丝袜高跟鞋| 国产成人无码区免费内射一片色欲| 偷偷做久久久久免费网站| 亚洲无av在线中文字幕| 国产精品亚洲А∨天堂免| 强奷漂亮人妻系列老师| 苍井空毛片精品久久久| 又色又爽又黄又无遮挡的网站 | 国产精品一线二线三线区| 免费A级毛片无码A∨蜜芽试看| 亚洲国产精品嫩草影院久久| 性少妇videosexfreexxxx片| 又粗又紧又湿又爽的视频| 蜜桃无码一区二区三区| 最新中文乱码字字幕在线| 97精品国产高清在线看入口| 西西人体大胆444WWW| 久久婷婷五月综合97色直播| 99人中文字幕亚洲区三| 2021国产精品视频网站| 99精品久久免费精品久久| 免费无遮挡毛片中文字幕| 国产黄色带三级在线观看|