<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Iraq says Sadr in Najaf talks, Briton kidnapped
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-08-13 21:32

          Iraq's interim government said on Friday Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr was negotiating to leave a shrine in the holy city of Najaf, after conflicting reports on whether the firebrand was wounded in a U.S. raid.

          Spokesmen for the leader of the radical Shi'ite Muslim uprising in central and southern Iraq said he had been wounded in a bombing raid, though his injuries were not life-threatening. Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib said Sadr was unhurt and that a truce took effect in Najaf last night.

          Gunmen also kidnapped a British journalist in the southern city of Basra and threatened to execute him within 24 hours if U.S. forces did not pull out of Najaf.

          A spokesman for Sadr appealed to the captors of Sunday Telegraph reporter James Brandon to release him.


          A video grab taken from Reuters television footage released on August 13, 2004, shows British journalist James Brandon (R) having a cloth wrapped around his head by a hooded militant in Iraq. [Reuters]

          The nine-day rebellion in Najaf has killed hundreds and threatened to undermine the rule of Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, who is walking a tightrope trying to crush a radical Shi'ite rebellion across seven cities that has hit vital oil exports.

          Speaking on Thursday after U.S. marines backed by aircraft and tanks launched a major assault on Sadr's Mehdi fighters around the Imam Ali Mosque and an ancient cemetery -- both militia strongholds -- Allawi urged the fighters to surrender.

          Sadr spokesman Ahmad al-Shinabi said the cleric was wounded at 4.30 a.m. (8:30 p.m. EDT) in the cemetery.

          "He was in the cemetery at the time. He was wounded in the chest, arm and leg," Shinabi told Reuters in Najaf.

          Minister Naqib denied the claims and said a truce had been in force since last night, although residents said there were sporadic clashes overnight from the city center. Witnesses said U.S. forces had allowed several ambulances to enter the area and take out at least eight wounded Mehdi fighters.

          "Sayyed Moqtada will not be touched if he leaves the shrine peacefully...," Naqib said.

          RAID IN NEARBY KUFA

          Brigadier General Erv Lessel, the top U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said "clearing" operations to isolate the militia were under way in Najaf, throwing doubt on the truce.


          Iraqi civilians walk past an American armored vehicle patroling the holy city of Najaf in southern Iraq, Friday Aug. 13, 2004. [AP]

          Lessel also said he could not confirm Sadr had been wounded, adding U.S. forces were under instructions not to pursue him.

          In the southern city of Kufa, 10 km (6 miles) from Najaf, Iraqi security forces killed several people in a raid on a Sadr stronghold, U.S. Marine Captain Carrie Batson told CNN.

          Despite the government denial about Sadr's condition, the news could trigger outrage from the majority Shi'ite community, where there is growing anger at the U.S. assault near Iraq's holiest Shi'ite sites even from those who scorn Sadr's views.

          Thousands of Sadr supporters protested in front of the Green Zone compound housing the Iraqi government and the U.S. embassy in Baghdad. Several Iraqi police took part, holding up posters of the cleric and putting them on their vehicle windows.

          TERRIFIED JOURNALIST

          Witnesses said gunmen seized the British journalist from a hotel in mainly Shi'ite Basra early on Friday morning.

          The kidnappers instructed a freelance cameraman working for Reuters to film their terrified captive. The video tape showed a hooded militant standing next to the bare-chested journalist, who wore a head bandage.

          The militants threatened to kill Brandon if the United States did not withdraw its forces from Najaf.

          "I'm a journalist. I just write about what's happening in Iraq," said Brandon.

          U.S. marines captured Najaf's city center on Thursday. They also stormed Sadr's home, only to find it empty.

          They blocked off entry to the Imam Ali Mosque -- from where Mehdi fighters have launched attacks during the rebellion -- but have kept out of the sacred Shi'ite Muslim shrine.

          The assault on Thursday drove world oil prices to new highs. Iraqi oil exports were flowing normally from southern fields on Friday and on the markets, U.S. light crude slipped 15 cents to $45.35 a barrel, below Thursday's record of $45.75 for oil futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

          The Mehdi militia has warned the offensive could trigger more attacks on Iraq's oil infrastructure.

          Sadr's spokesmen have said he is leading the defense and has urged his militia to keep fighting even if he is killed.

          Analysts have warned of a backlash even if the Imam Ali Mosque is undamaged and the militia beaten in Najaf. They said resentment could pose long-term consequences for Allawi.

          Some 2,000 U.S. servicemen and 1,800 Iraqi security men are deployed around Najaf, a city of 600,000 about 100 miles south of Baghdad.

          U.S. forces say they have killed more than 360 Sadr fighters so far in Najaf. Sadr's spokesmen say far fewer have died in what is the second rebellion by the militia in four months.

          Gunmen have kidnapped scores of foreigners in Iraq since April to press foreign forces and companies to leave Iraq. Many have been released but around nine have been killed.

          Some 20 foreign hostages are still being held.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          115 die in wake of Typhoon Rananim

           

             
           

          Sharp profit rise expected for central SOEs

           

             
           

          Regulation of land use shows progress

           

             
           

          Olympic Games starts in Athens

           

             
           

          China prepares for French culture year

           

             
           

          Athens to inspire Beijing games

           

             
            Powell links Japan UN seat to constitution
             
            Iraq's Sadr said wounded in US Najaf bombing
             
            Sharon furious over call to close more settlements
             
            Sudan says West after country's oil, gold
             
            Hurricane Charley menaces Cuba, Floridians flee
             
            Long-awaited Google auction begins Friday
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            American "democracy" under the microscope...  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 2019最新久久久视频精品| 成人网站免费观看永久视频下载| 天堂资源在线| 久久精品免视看国产成人| 国产精品国产亚洲看不卡| 亚洲综合中文字幕第一页| 99在线小视频| 国产伦一区二区三区久久| 日韩丝袜人妻中文字幕| 99久久精品国产一区二区暴力| 丁香五月激情综合色婷婷| 夹得好湿真拔不出来了动态图| 日本一区不卡高清更新二区| 中文字幕AV伊人AV无码AV| 亚洲av第一区二区三区| 亚洲精品国产自在现线最新| 激情四射激情五月综合网| 国语精品国内自产视频| 99精品日本二区留学生| 亚洲精品欧美综合二区| 免费人成在线观看网站| 国产精品白嫩初高生免费视频| 国产一区二区牛影视| 免费无码成人AV片在线| 欧美区在线| 国产av中文字幕精品| 无码刺激a片一区二区三区| 扒开双腿猛进入喷水高潮叫声| 亚洲午夜无码AV不卡| 国产一区二区三区亚洲精品| 国产一区二区三区在线看| 国产精品一区二区色综合| 久久亚洲av成人无码软件| 少妇av一区二区三区无码| 欧美成人精品三级网站| 免费观看日本污污ww网站69| 人妻中文字幕精品系列| 人妻少妇精品无码专区二区| 999久久久免费精品播放| 手机无码人妻一区二区三区免费 | 亚洲国产韩国一区二区|