<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Najaf fighting intensifies amid peace push
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-08-18 10:03

          Iraqi delegates delivered a peace proposal to aides of Muqtada al-Sadr in Najaf on Tuesday, but the militant cleric refused to meet with them as explosions, gunfire and a U.S. air strike on the sprawling cemetery echoed across the holy city.


          A militiaman loyal to Shiite Muslim cleric Moqtada Sadr takes position as a car burns in the southern Iraqi city of Basra after three British civilian vehicles were hit by a roadside bomb, causing no casualties. [AP Photo]

          The delegation was kept waiting for three hours at the Imam Ali shrine, where some of al-Sadr's fighters have holed up, but were not allowed to meet with the cleric and left Najaf after talking with his aides.

          Al-Sadr did not show up because of the "heavy shelling from the planes and tanks of the U.S. forces," said an aide, Ahmed al-Shaibany.

          Both the mediators and Al-Sadr's deputies described their talks as positive. Al-Shaibany said the delegation would return Wednesday to meet with al-Sadr himself. Delegate Rajah Khozi said she hoped the group would be able to return Wednesday or Thursday, but there were no immediate plans for such a trip.

          The peace mission was organized by the Iraqi National Conference, a gathering of more than 1,000 religious, political and civic leaders that was extended late Tuesday into a fourth day because of disagreements over how to elect a council that is to act as a watchdog over the interim government until elections in January.


          American soldiers patrol the streets of the besieged city of Najaf, in southern Iraq Tuesday Aug. 17, 2004. A U.S. warplane bombed near Najaf's vast cemetery as fighting with Shiite militants intensified Tuesday. [AP Photo] 

          The delegation's peace initiative demanded that al-Sadr's Mahdi Army militia disarm, leave the Imam Ali shrine and become a political group in exchange for amnesty.

          "This is not a negotiation. This is a friendly mission to convey the message of the National Conference," said delegation head Hussein al-Sadr, a distant relative of the renegade Shiite Muslim cleric.

          Al-Sadr aides said they welcomed the mission, but not the peace proposal.

          "The demands of the committee are impossible. The shrine compound must be in the hands of the religious authorities. They are asking us to leave Najaf while we are the sons of Najaf," said one aide, Sheik Ali Smeisim.

          The delegation, which had planned to be in Najaf only for a day, flew back to Baghdad to return to the National Conference.

          The fighting in Najaf, especially near the revered Imam Ali shrine, where al-Sadr's militants are holed up, has angered many among the country's majority Shiite population and cast a pall over the conference, which had been intended to project an image of amity and inclusiveness on the road to democracy.

          The meeting is being held under tight security and two nearby explosions rattled the meeting hall Tuesday, slightly wounding a soldier and a civilian security guard, the military said.

          Several miles away, a mortar round slammed into a busy Baghdad commercial district, killing seven people and wounding 47, officials said. The blast charred cars and shattered the front of a barbershop on al-Rasheed street, leaving blood mixed with glass and metal shards on the road.

          The mortar shell was not aimed at the conference but rather was a routine attack intended "to create chaos in the country," said Sabah Kadhim, a spokesman for the Iraq's Interior Ministry.


          U.S. Marines tanks guard a road on the edge of Najaf's old town August 17, 2004. Iraqi political and religious leaders trying to end a radical Shi'ite uprising flew into Najaf, where U.S. troops and militia fought pitched battles near the country's holiest Islamic sites. [Reuters]

          In volatile Anbar Province, a Marine with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force was killed in action Tuesday during "security and stability operations," the military reported. The Marine's name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.

          In eastern Baghdad, insurgents attacked U.S. troops with rocket-propelled grenades and bombs Monday, killing one U.S. soldier and wounding several others, the military announced Tuesday.

          Al-Sadr militiamen also fought a series of gunbattles with British troops in the southern city of Basra, with one British soldier and one militant reported killed. Sixty-five British soldiers have died since the start of the Iraq war.

          In the volatile city of Fallujah, a U.S. warplane fired a missile at a house, killing two people and injuring one, said Dr. Adel Mohammed Moustafa of Fallujah General Hospital. The U.S. military had no immediate comment.

          The 16-month-old insurgency, marked by car bombings, ambushes, kidnappings, sabotage and other attacks, has kept the country unstable and badly hampered reconstruction efforts.

          But the latest round of fighting in Najaf, which began Aug. 5 after the breakdown of a two-month cease-fire, is presenting the greatest challenge yet to interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's fledgling government.

          Clashes persisted even after the National Conference's eight-member peace delegation — seven of them Shiites — arrived aboard a pair of U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopters Tuesday afternoon.

          Explosions and gunfire shook the streets throughout the day and U.S. troops entered the flash-point Old City neighborhood, where al-Sadr's Mahdi Army is based.

          A U.S. warplane caused an explosion in the huge cemetery, site of many clashes between U.S. forces and Shiite militants. U.S. Marine Lt. Col. Thomas V. Johnson said the plane fired "one precision guided missile on a building in the cemetery where Muqtada militiamen with RPGs were attacking U.S. soldiers."

          The U.S. military says the fighting in Najaf has killed hundreds of militants, though the militants deny that. Eight U.S. soldiers and at least 40 Iraqi police have been killed as well.

          The fighting Tuesday killed three civilians and wounded 15, rescue worker Sadiq al-Shaibany said. Two of those were killed when gunfire hit the office of the Badr Brigades, the militant wing of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, a Shiite political group that is not involved in the fighting, said Ridha Taqi, an official of the group.

          The National Conference, originally scheduled to end Tuesday, was extended to Wednesday because of a dispute over how to elect members of the Iraqi National Council, which is to serve alongside the interim government.

          The delegates were originally to vote on one slate of 81 potential members, which would have had to garner 65 percent of the vote to become part of the new council. However, some smaller parties felt they did not have enough of a voice in the makeup of the slate, organizers said.

          As a compromise, several slates will contend with each other Wednesday, with the top two moving into a runoff, where the winning slate will become part of the council.

          "The most important thing here is balance, that there's balance at this critical stage that we are in," said conference chairman Fuad Masoum.

          The final 19 seats of the 100-member body will be filled by members of the former U.S.-appointed Governing Council who were not included in the interim government.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Natural disaster affects almost 13 million

           

             
           

          Official gets death for stealing relics

           

             
           

          China: US sending "wrong signal" to terrorists

           

             
           

          China cracks down on "phone sex" services

           

             
           

          Japanese snakehead deported from China

           

             
           

          Beijing highway boss to be arrested for bribe

           

             
            Britain charges 8 in terror plot tied to US alert
             
            Iraqi peace mission in Najaf; US pounds militia
             
            SEC leaves Google waiting on IPO go ahead
             
            US announces plan for troop realignment
             
            Sharon approves 1,000 settlement homes in W.Bank
             
            Chavez survives recall, vows to deepen revolution
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            American "democracy" under the microscope...  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美国产中文| 国产成人亚洲欧美二区综合| 无码人妻一区二区三区AV| 亚洲欧洲综合| 午夜国产精品福利一二| 成人亚欧欧美激情在线观看| 狠狠精品久久久无码中文字幕| 亚洲国产一区在线观看| 东京一本一道一二三区| 久久精品国产一区二区涩涩| 高清精品视频一区二区三区 | 久久久久99人妻一区二区三区| 天天看片视频免费观看| 中国熟妇毛多多裸交视频| 婷婷丁香五月激情综合| 国产精品任我爽爆在线播放6080 | 午夜精品福利亚洲国产| 亚洲无av在线中文字幕| 久久国产乱子精品免费女| 亚洲av无码精品色午夜蛋壳| 成人欧美日韩一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码乱码1区久久| 国产成人无码A区在线观| 又硬又粗又长又爽免费看| 国产日本一区二区三区久久| 日韩大片高清播放器| 亚洲综合色区另类av| 欧美日韩在线第一页免费观看| 日本视频精品一区二区| 国产精品一区二区三区四区| 亚洲国产精品综合久久网各| 国产av午夜精品福利| 人妻人人做人碰人人添| 久久精品国产亚洲av天海翼| 国产xxxxx在线观看免费| 中文字幕国产精品综合| 亚洲第一区二区国产精品| 亚洲国产成人无码av在线播放| 亚洲欧美综合在线天堂| 中文字幕最新精品资源| 无码国产偷倩在线播放|