<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>Sports
                   
           

          Attempt for closure stirs up more anger
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-08-28 11:03

          World gymnastics officials were looking for a way out of the Paul Hamm medal mess. All they did was make more people mad.

          The president of the International Gymnastics Federation asked Hamm to give up his all-around gold medal as the ultimate show of good will, but the U.S. Olympic Committee told him to take responsibility for the problem and refused even to deliver the request.


          Paul Hamm from the US waves to spectators with an olive bouquet after the men's artistic gymnastics individual all-round final at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games August 18, 2004. Paul Hamm won gold in the final ahead of South Korea's Kim Dae-eun and his compatriot Yang Tae-young. [Reuters/file]

          The dispute over scores has mushroomed into a bigger debate about sportsmanship, judging and the state of the Olympics themselves.

          "I don't know of any comparison in any sport anywhere where you crown an athlete, crown a team and then say, 'Oh, that was a mistake. Would you fix this for us?'" USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth said Friday.

          FIG president Bruno Grandi suggested in a letter to Hamm that giving the gold to South Korea's Yang Tae-young "would be recognized as the ultimate demonstration of fair play." Judges scored Yang's parallel bars routine incorrectly on Aug. 18, failing to give him enough points for the level of difficulty.

          Grandi tried to send the letter Thursday night to Hamm through the USOC, but the committee's leaders declined to pass it along.

          In a letter back to Grandi, USOC secretary general Jim Scherr called the request "a blatant and inappropriate attempt on the part of (FIG) to once again shift responsibility for its own mistakes and instead pressure Mr. Hamm into resolving what has become an embarrassing situation for your federation.''

          "The USOC finds this request to be improper, outrageous and so far beyond the bounds of what is acceptable that it refuses to transmit the letter to Mr. Hamm," the letter said.

          Hamm returned to the United States earlier this week. He declined comment Friday through his agent, but he has said in the past that he has no intention of giving up his medal unless ordered to do so by FIG.

          In an interview Friday night with NBC, Hamm said he'll abide by whatever FIG decides, but that "I just feel like I've done nothing wrong in this whole situation."

          "I competed my heart out at the Olympic Games. I played by the rules and I won by the rules," he said. "I feel like I'm handling it pretty well. Obviously, you know I'm a little bit upset with how this whole situation was handled."

          Grandi said he believed the issue was closed until he learned of Hamm's earlier comment.

          Hamm's coach, Miles Avery, said Hamm is still frustrated about having his victory sullied by controversy.

          "If I was Bruno Grandi, I would have said my officials did a bad job and correct that problem and not ask this young man to give back his medal," Avery said in an interview in Columbus, Ohio.

          Yang, the bronze medalist, was wrongly docked a tenth of a point on his second-to-last routine. He finished third, 0.049 points behind Hamm. Add the extra 0.100, and Yang would have finished 0.051 points ahead of Hamm. That's assuming, of course, that everything in the final rotation would have played out the same way.

          Three judges were suspended after the error was discovered, but FIG said the results would stand because the South Koreans didn't protest the error until after the meet.

          The South Koreans canceled a news conference Friday night after learning of the FIG letter and the USOC response.

          Jae Soon-yoo, spokeswoman for the South Korean delegation, said the Koreans met with International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge on Tuesday.

          "Dr. Rogge made it very clear that dual golds were not acceptable by the IOC," she said. "Again, it's up to the FIG. He made his principles very clear."

          Although Grandi's letter says, "The true winner of the all-around competition is Yang Tae-young," the FIG president insisted he's not pressuring Hamm.

          "There is no doubt he has won the medal," Grandi said. ``He deserves the medal, and the ranking is clear. ... I respect totally Paul Hamm and all the decisions he makes. If he says give back the medal, I respect it. Don't give back the medal, I respect the decision. He is not responsible for anything.''

          Ueberroth said the USOC considers the case closed, based on the FIG ruling that the scores cannot be changed. He also cited a statement from Rogge, who said the IOC would stick with the results turned in by the federation and wouldn't step in unless there were clear signs of impropriety.

          "We are not going to give medals for so-called humanitarian or emotional reasons," Rogge said.

          Earlier in the week, the USOC said it was willing to consider supporting the South Koreans' bid for a second gold medal. Scherr said that was no longer possible because of FIG's latest request.

          "I think we were at fault for not more strongly, more directly, showing our support for Paul," Scherr said. "I wish we would have done that more strongly and earlier."

          USA Gymnastics president Bob Colarossi said the USOC stance reinforced the position his federation has held since the beginning.

          "Paul Hamm won the all-around competition and he's the Olympic medalist and the Olympic champion," Colarossi said. "We mentioned from the very beginning that we stand by Paul and stand by Paul's performance."



           
            Today's Top News     Top Sports News
           

          Brave Liu Xiang did it! Chinese fans jubilant

           

             
           

          Expanded CEPA lends strength to Hong Kong

           

             
           

          Olympics enchant, please Chinese

           

             
           

          Cat Garfield triggers copyright disputes

           

             
           

          China to launch campaign on IPR protection

           

             
           

          Attempt for closure stirs up more anger

           

             
            Brave Liu Xiang did it! Chinese fans jubilant
             
            Xing Huina wins Olympic women's 10,000m gold
             
            US dream team crashed out of Olympics
             
            Attempt for closure stirs up more anger
             
            Brazil beat US for Olympic men's volleyball final
             
            Cubans stay masters in Olympic boxing semifinals
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 秋霞无码久久久精品| 国产肉丝袜在线观看| 国产精品小仙女自拍视频| 92国产精品午夜福利免费| 日本精品极品视频在线| 精品无码老熟妇magnet| 换着玩人妻中文字幕| 日韩中文字幕精品人妻| 少妇被黑人到高潮喷出白浆| 天天躁日日躁狠狠躁| 中文字幕自拍偷拍福利视频| 欧美日本在线一区二区三区| 无码国产精品一区二区av| chinese性内射高清国产| av无码精品一区二区乱子| 亚洲ⅴa曰本va欧美va视频| 国产优质女主播在线观看| 国产AV影片麻豆精品传媒| 亚洲一本之道高清乱码| 欧美人妻在线一区二区| 蜜桃mv在线播放免费观看视频| 亚洲精品韩国一区二区| 中文字幕无码久久一区| 久久国产自偷自偷免费一区| 乱60一70归性欧老妇| 成人无码视频| 成人av一区二区三区| 国产精品毛片一区二区| 91精品国产吴梦梦在线观看永久 | 国内少妇人妻偷人精品视频| 亚洲午夜福利精品一二飞| 4虎四虎永久在线精品免费| 国产亚洲精品久久77777| 香蕉乱码成人久久天堂爱| 国产无码高清视频不卡 | 脱岳裙子从后面挺进去视频| 国产成人a在线观看视频免费| 国产精品99久久免费观看| 亚洲人妻精品中文字幕| 大地资源网中文第一页| 国产精品亚洲第一区在线|