<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区

            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Kidnappers extend deadline for French hostages
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-08-31 08:32

          Militants holding two French journalists hostage in Iraq gave France another 24 hours on Monday to revoke its ban on Muslim headscarves in schools, Al Jazeera reported.

          The Arabic TV station showed a tape of the journalists urging the French people to hold protests to persuade their government to retract the headscarf law, saying that otherwise they might be killed.

          The French government said earlier there was no question of the ban being revoked. President Jacques Chirac planned to go ahead with a trip to Russia on Monday despite the crisis.


          French reporter Georges Malbrunot (R) of Le Figaro and Ouest-France newspapers and French radio journalist Christian Chesnot of Radio France Internationale are shown in a recent photo. France scrambled to secure the freedom of the two journalists kidnapped by Iraqi militants, who gave Paris until Monday evening to drop its controversial ban on Muslim headscarves in schools. [Reuters]
          "In response to the hostages' plea to give them a chance to deliver their message to their government, the Islamic Army in Iraq has decided to extend the deadline by 24 hours," Al Jazeera quoted a written statement from the kidnappers as saying.

          The militant group, which declared last week it had killed Italian journalist Enzo Baldoni, on Saturday gave the French government 48 hours to rescind the headscarf ban, without saying what would happen to the two Frenchmen if it failed to comply.

          France has scrambled to save Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot, both of whom spoke on the video tape.

          "I call on President (Jacques) Chirac to... retract the veil ban immediately and I call on French people to protest the veil ban. It is a wrong and unjust law and we may die at any time," Chesnot said, according to Al Jazeera's translation into Arabic.

          Chesnot and Malbrunot appeared calm in the video, seemed to have been shot in a room flooded with daylight.

          "I appeal to the French people and each French citizen who values life to hold protests for this law on the veil ban to be canceled, because our life is in danger and we might die at any moment if the law doesn't get banned," Malbrunot said.

          Thousands of people took to France's streets to call for the newsmen's release on Monday, many of them Muslim women in headscarves. Foreign Minister Michel Barnier visited Egypt as part of a mission to rally support in Iraq and the region.

          MUSLIM GROUPS URGE RELEASE

          "We will continue, come what may, to follow all contacts ... with civil and religious personalities to explain the reality of the French republic... and obtain the release of these people," he said in Cairo.

          Iraqi Sunni and Shi'ite Muslim groups and Islamic groups outside Iraq urged the kidnappers to release the two, noting France's opposition to the U.S.-led Iraq war and saying journalists were not combatants.

          The crisis stunned France, which campaigned against the 2003 invasion of Iraq and so had considered itself relatively safe from militant attack. France also opposed the 1990-2003 economic sanctions on Iraq.

          Chesnot, of Radio France Internationale, and Malbrunot, who writes for the dailies Le Figaro and Ouest France, disappeared on Aug. 20 on their way from Baghdad to Najaf, the day after Baldoni was seized.

          "Their kidnapping is incomprehensible to all those who know that France... is a land of tolerance and of respect for others," Barnier said, before meeting Arab League chief Amr Moussa and Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit.

          "I urge everyone who has power, or has the capabilities, to set the journalists free as soon as possible so that the situation does not become more complicated," Moussa said.

          Barnier said Foreign Ministry Secretary-General Hubert Colin de Verdiere arrived in Baghdad on Monday for crisis talks.

          Islamic groups in Iraq expressed sympathy for the hostages.

          "France's position toward Iraq is good. But we also are against kidnapping all journalists," said Sheikh Abdel Sattar Abdel Jabbar, a top official in the Muslim Clerics Association. "We call on the kidnappers to release them immediately."

          SYMPATHY FOR THE FRENCH

          Outside Iraq, Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, the Arab world's largest Islamist organization, and the Federation of Arab Journalists spoke out against the kidnapping.

          Cairo's prestigious Sunni seat of learning, al-Azhar, and Lebanon's top Shi'ite cleric Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah also condemned the action.

          French critics and defenders of the ban on headscarves united in condemning the kidnappers. Leaders of France's five-million strong Muslim community have denied any link with the militant Islamic Army in Iraq.

          Fouad Alaoui, secretary-general of an Islamic group that had previously urged schoolgirls to defy the ban, recommended on Monday they refrain from flouting the law.

          France passed the law in March in reaction to the growing influence of Islamist activists and tensions between Muslim and Jewish youths in schools. The law also bans Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Wen calls for support of non-State business

           

             
           

          Beijing to upgrade subway lines, systems

           

             
           

          Trade unions needed to protect workers

           

             
           

          Diplomats told to make friends

           

             
           

          China trying to diversify energy supply

           

             
           

          Jiang urges improving military equipment

           

             
            Kidnappers extend deadline for French hostages
             
            Singapore rejects US sex slavery charges
             
            Philippine flood kills 29, survivors hunt rats
             
            Bush tempers all-out terrorism victory
             
            France races against clock in Iraq hostage crisis
             
            India test fires nuclear-capable missile
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          France races against clock in Iraq hostage crisis
             
          Chirac sends FM to Mideast to win Iraq hostage release
             
          Allawi talks to Iraqi insurgents on amnesty -report
             
          Iraqi gov't team meets Sistani in battered Najaf
            News Talk  
            American "democracy" under the microscope...  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲 制服 丝袜 无码| 无码人妻丰满熟妇啪啪| 日韩东京热一区二区三区| 亚洲中文字幕一区久久| 伊人成人在线视频免费| 国产三级黄色的在线观看| 国产性生大片免费观看性| 国产一区日韩二区三区| 性色a∨精品高清在线观看| 日韩深夜福利视频在线观看| 国产一区二区精品福利| 亚洲欧洲综合| 国产精品毛片在线完整版| 国产成人午夜福利精品| 婷婷开心深爱五月天播播| 欧美精品一区二区三区中文字幕| 国产精品多p对白交换绿帽| 色妺妺视频网| 国产中文三级全黄| 亚洲一二区在线视频播放| 人妻少妇偷人无码视频| 狂躁女人双腿流白色液体| 亚国产欧美在线人成| 亚洲精品国产成人无码区a片| 国产精品毛片一区二区| 美国又粗又长久久性黄大片| 国产成人精品无码播放| 美女视频黄频大全视频| 老色鬼在线精品视频在线观看| 顶级嫩模精品视频在线看| 国精品91人妻无码一区二区三区| 久久综合老鸭窝色综合久久| 亚洲欧美日韩成人综合一区| 欧洲精品色在线观看| 国产老妇伦国产熟女老妇高清| 成人免费无码视频在线网站| av午夜福利一片看久久| 国产高清在线不卡一区| 欧美国产综合视频| 久久久久无码国产精品不卡| 麻花传媒在线观看免费|