<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Battered Florida counts the cost after Frances
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-09-08 11:04

          Floridians began mopping up on Tuesday and counting the cost of Hurricane Frances' long, destructive path through the state, and thousands of people joined long lines for ice, water and fuel.

          Power outages affected 2 million homes and businesses -- about a quarter of the state's 16 million people -- and topped a list of concerns. Tanker loads of gasoline arrived but could not be pumped because there was no electricity at many gas stations.


          An aerial view shows a mobile home park surrounded with debris September 7, 2004 after Hurricane Frances hit Vero Beach, Florida on September 4. The U.S. Congress on Tuesday passed $2 billion in emergency spending to help hurricane victims in Florida, a crucial battleground state in the upcoming presidential and congressional elections. [Reuters]
          Nearly 400,000 customers of Georgia Power, in Florida's neighbor state, were also without electricity, including about 270,000 in the Atlanta area.

          "Right now our big, big thing is life safety and getting water and ice to people. Once we get that under control, then we'll start looking at the long-term issue of recovery," said Joan Heller, a spokeswoman for Brevard County, one of the hardest hit areas on Florida's Atlantic coast.

          Heller said distribution centers for water and ice had yet to open, but people having to cope without air conditioning in the state's subtropical heat were already waiting in line.

          Frances, which at one point last week reached Category 4 strength with 145 mph winds as it roared through the Bahamas and bore down on Florida, petered out over Georgia and Alabama on Monday night after drenching the Florida Panhandle.

          The storm killed at least 10 people -- two in the Bahamas, four in Florida and four in Georgia -- smashed boats, tore roofs off houses, ripped away carports, tiles and patios, snapped trees, and downed power lines.

          'LOST EVERY SINGLE THING'

          Hundreds of Bahamians remained in storm shelters on Tuesday after Frances stalled over Grand Bahama in the 700-island chain and battered it with 105 mph winds last Friday.

          "We lost every single thing," said 70-year-old Grand Bahama island resident Rowena Saunders, standing ankle-deep in water outside her home. "We couldn't save anything at all. All my china, furniture -- everything is just gone."

          Florida's chief financial officer, Tom Gallagher, said initial estimates of the insured damage from Frances ranged from $2 billion to $4 billion for the state.

          That was less than the $7.4 billion in insured damages caused by the smaller but more powerful Hurricane Charley after it came ashore Aug. 13 on Florida's southwest coast.

          But Florida Agriculture Commissioner Charlie Bronson said Frances may have done more harm to the $9.1 billion citrus industry than Charley, which caused at least $150 million in damages after uprooting trees and knocking down fruit.

          The storm shut down large areas of the state over the three-day Labor Day weekend that normally represents a shopping and tourism bonanza for retailers and hotels.

          Economists said the blow to the state's economy would be swiftly overcome.

          Just over 100 shelters remained open, housing about 13,000 -- sharply lower than the day before as people made for home.

          Congress on Tuesday night approved $2 billion in emergency aid for the state run by President Bush (news - web sites)'s brother, Gov. Jeb Bush, and the president announced he would visit Florida on Wednesday.

          Florida Sen. Bill Nelson (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat, warned that his state may need around $4.5 billion in aid. "I want to remind my colleagues that we're not through yet," he said.

          Many in Florida began to warily turn their attention to a new storm, Hurricane Ivan, which was in the far eastern Caribbean on Tuesday.

          Gov. Bush said it was safe for people to head home. "We'll have a chance to prepare for the next one," he told reporters. (Additional reporting by Michael Peltier in Tallahassee, Karen Jacobs in Atlanta, Anna Willard in Washington, Michael Connor in Miami, Scott DiSavino in New York and John Marquis in Nassau)



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Floods kill at least 100 in southwest China

           

             
           

          Funding to ensure pension payments

           

             
           

          CPC plenum to focus on ruling capacity

           

             
           

          `Super rice' set to increase output

           

             
           

          US military deaths in Iraq pass 1,000

           

             
           

          Shanghai no longer encourages DINK family

           

             
            US military deaths in Iraq pass 1,000
             
            Italian government holds crisis meeting following Iraq hostage-taking
             
            Two arrested in Russia plane Crash Case
             
            14 Palestinian militants killed in Gaza
             
            Fierce clashes in Iraq kill 34 people
             
            Russian forces detain Chechen rebel kin
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Frances floods Florida, leaves three dead
             
          Bush vows rapid aid to hurricane victims
             
          Florida cleans up after Charley kills 16
             
          Hurricane kills at least 15 in Florida
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 婷婷综合缴情亚洲| 疯狂做受xxxx高潮欧美日本| 人人超人人超碰超国产| 伊人久久综在合线亚洲91| 一区二区三区四区五区自拍| 蜜桃av一区二区高潮久久精品| 午夜免费福利小电影| 无码人妻丰满熟妇区五十路在线| 午夜福利波多野结衣人妻| 国产成人午夜福利院| 一区二区欧美日韩高清免费| 丰满高跟丝袜老熟女久久| 亚洲精中文字幕二区三区| 四虎网址| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕视频 | 久久综合九色综合97婷婷| 国产欧美日韩专区发布| 韩国三级+mp4| 欧美成人精品一区二区三区免费| 最近中文字幕在线视频1| 国内精品自线在拍| 在线观看国产精品日本不卡网 | 试看120秒做受| 亚洲国产精品一二三区| 国产另类ts人妖一区二区| 亚洲高清WWW色好看美女| 日韩av一区免费播放| 新久久国产色av免费看| 在线国产综合一区二区三区| 视频一区二区不中文字幕| 少妇被多人c夜夜爽爽av| 国产亚洲精品久久久久婷婷图片| 国产 另类 在线 欧美日韩| 日韩人妻无码一区二区三区| 免费人成视频在线观看网站| 熟妇人妻中文字幕| 久久这里有精品国产电影网| 成人无码无遮挡很H在线播放| 国产成人精品无码播放| 九九久久自然熟的香蕉图片| 国产黄色三级三级看三级|