<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Americans sentenced in Afghan torture
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-09-16 08:37

          Three Americans — led by a former Green Beret who boasted he had Pentagon support — were found guilty Wednesday of torturing Afghans in a private jail and were sentenced to prison.

          After a 7 1/2-hour session in a stuffy Kabul courtroom, the three-judge panel was unanimous in convicting the former soldier, Jonathan Idema, and his right-hand man, Brent Bennett, on charges of entering Afghanistan illegally, making illegal arrests, establishing a private jail and torturing their captives. They were sentenced to 10 years.

          US citizens Jonathan Idema (L) and Edward Carabello (R) talk to each other as Brent Bennett listens at a district court in Afghan capital Kabul, September 15, 2004.[Xinhua]
          US citizens Jonathan Idema (L) and Edward Carabello (R) talk to each other as Brent Bennett listens at a district court in Afghan capital Kabul, September 15, 2004.[Xinhua]

          Edward Caraballo, a cameraman who said he was making a film about America's war on terrorism, received an eight-year term. Four young Afghan accomplices were sentenced to terms ranging from one to five years; one of them burst into tears with the verdict.

          Idema, who has a previous fraud conviction, claimed to have had high-level support from the Pentagon and Afghan officials in his group's efforts to hunt down terrorists, but the US military says the men were freelancers operating outside the law and without its knowledge.

          A judge sentences three Americans to between eight and 10 years in prison for illegally running a private jail and torturing suspects at a district court in Afghan capital Kabul, September 15, 2004.[Xinhua]
          A judge sentences three Americans to between eight and 10 years in prison for illegally running a private jail and torturing suspects at a district court in Afghan capital Kabul, September 15, 2004.[Xinhua]

          Judge Abdul Baset Bakhtyari dismissed a string of video clips showing Idema talking with Afghan leaders, purported US intelligence officials and NATO troops and said they were operating alone.

          Idema, who wore sunglasses and khaki fatigues bearing an American flag throughout the trial, denounced the trial as a throwback to the times of the hard-line Islamic Taliban movement.

          "It's the same sick Taliban judges, the same sick sense of justice," Idema said as he was led, handcuffed, out of the courtroom. "I knew that the American government wasn't going to help me."

          The lawyers for Idema and Caraballo said they would appeal. It was unclear whether Bennett, who represented himself, would do so.

          Idema spent three years in jail in the 1980s for bilking 60 companies out of more than US$200,000. He and Bennett are from Fayetteville, N.C.; Caraballo is from New York.

          The group was arrested July 5 after Afghan security forces raided a house in Kabul and discovered eight Afghans who said they had been detained and tortured by the Americans. Several of them testified they were beaten, burned with scalding water and deprived of food and sleep.

          Idema said the prisoners were subjected to "standard interrogation techniques" but no abuse.

          Idema claimed to have unearthed a plot to bomb the main American military base north of Kabul and assassinate Afghan leaders. In an interview with The Associated Press, he also claimed to be hot on the trail of Osama bin Laden.

          The US military in Afghanistan has admitted receiving a prisoner from Idema and holding him for about two months. NATO forces cooperated briefly with the three, sending explosives experts to assist in three arrest raids in the Afghan capital. They found traces of explosives and suspect electronic components in one raid.

          But Idema has since been denounced by the alliance and the American military as an impostor, and disowned by Afghan leaders and the Pentagon. The US military had no comment on the convictions.

          The trial was marked by chaotic procedures, dismal translation and constant outbursts from Idema.

          A non-Muslim, Idema asked to swear on the Quran before testifying Wednesday. He kissed a copy of Islam's holy book, prompting one of his former prisoners, an Afghan Supreme Court official with a long black beard, to jump to his feet and acclaim Idema as a convert.

          Some in the courtroom audience cried "God is great!" three times in response, moving Idema and his former inmate to exchange smiles.

          Later, the defendants and their lawyers appeared stunned by the verdict, which came even though the defense was given no chance to cross-examine witnesses.

          Instead, two American defense attorneys drew heavily on several videotapes shot by Caraballo. They showed Idema meeting a man identified as a US Army captain coordinating counterterrorism operations in Kabul, and speaking by phone to officials Idema said were at the Defense Department and the main US military base in Afghanistan.

          The supposed captain said on tape that Idema's group was "rolling up AQ (al-Qaida) like it's nobody's business."

          Idema and his lawyer identified Lt. Gen. William Boykin, the deputy undersecretary of defense for intelligence, as his alleged Pentagon sponsor. Pentagon officials said Boykin would not comment on the matter.

          Other footage showed Idema being greeted at Kabul's airport by its director and the city police chief, and meeting with commanders of the Afghan government's militia.

          Idema said the FBI was holding his and Bennett's passports. He said he had a "non-expirable Afghan military visa" from a spell in Afghanistan around the end of 2001, when he says he fought against the Taliban.

          Caraballo's passport had an entry stamp but no visa, but Idema said their arrival in Afghanistan was arranged by its ambassador to India.

          "It's ridiculous to claim they entered illegally under these circumstances," said Robert Fogelnest, Caraballo's attorney.

          The judge said the videos only showed they had "private" contacts with Afghan leaders and failed to demonstrate official links to the American military.

          Fogelnest said the Afghan legal system was unfit to carry out the trial, and suggested U.S. officials had sacrificed his clients to avoid a scandal.

          The U.S. Embassy disagreed: "The government held the trial fairly and in accordance with the Afghan law," said spokeswoman Beth Lee.

          In Washington, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher, asked about the fairness of the proceedings, said: "The Afghan government held the trial in accordance with Afghan law. Their decision was handed down by an Afghan court after a full trial had been conducted."

          US and Afghan officials have left open whether the men might be able to serve any final sentence in an American jail, or if the US government will bring more charges against them at home.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Rally marks 50th anniversary of NPC

           

             
           

          UN rejects Taiwan's representation proposal

           

             
           

          Chen's separatist moves heighten tension

           

             
           

          Sharp rise of FDI shows confidence

           

             
           

          Three beheaded bodies found in Iraq

           

             
           

          Second Beijing airport likely

           

             
            IAEA to send second inspection team to South Korea
             
            Sudan rejects revised UN resolution on Darfur
             
            US maintains hard line on Iran
             
            Hunting protestors burst into UK Commons
             
            Americans sentenced in Afghan torture
             
            Israel kills 10 in W. Bank's deadliest day
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          US denies Guantanamo detainee torture accusations
             
          US rejects torture charges, Afghan government faces factional strife
             
          Reducing practice of extortion of confessions by torture
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 老鸭窝在线视频| 又爽又黄又无遮挡网站| 伊人蕉久影院| 欧美FREESEX黑人又粗又大| 国产亚洲综合一区二区三区| 亚洲最大福利视频网| 国产精品久久久久影院嫩草| 夜夜春久久天堂亚洲精品| 色窝窝免费一区二区三区| 丝袜老师办公室里做好紧好爽| 视频一区视频二区制服丝袜 | 女人与牲口性恔配视频免费| 亚洲国产成人无码电影| 高清自拍亚洲精品二区| 国产欧美日韩中文字幕| 国产精品一区二区三区日韩| 欧洲性开放老太大| 韩国精品一区二区三区在线观看| 国产超高清麻豆精品传媒麻豆精品| 成人字幕网视频在线观看| 国产精品中文av专线| 亚洲av伦理一区二区| 国产最大的福利精品自拍| 最近2019中文字幕免费看| 久久国产乱子伦免费精品无码 | 亚洲人成网站免费播放| av一区二区中文字幕| 亚洲大尺度视频在线播放| 少妇xxxxx性开放| 国产深夜福利在线免费观看| 免费一区二三区三区蜜桃| 亚洲综合无码一区二区痴汉| 啪啪av一区二区三区| 99热这里只有成人精品国产 | 亚洲AV国产福利精品在现观看| 日韩中文字幕精品一区在线| 亚洲小说乱欧美另类| 极品无码国模国产在线观看| av午夜福利一片看久久| 国产亚洲制服免视频| 色欲国产精品一区成人精品|