<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Eight hostages seized as nationwide polls cancelled
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-09-25 11:31

          Eight telecom workers became the latest victims of kidnappers determined to drive foreigners out of Iraq, as Prime Minister Iyad Allawi asked world leaders to back upcoming elections in Iraq, amid confusion over whether the vote would take place as scheduled in January.


          Eight telecom workers became the latest victims of kidnappers determined to drive foreigners out of Iraq, as Prime Minister Iyad Allawi asked world leaders to back upcoming elections in Iraq.[AFP]
          Three people died and 14 were wounded in an explosion in a central Baghdad square, medics said. The cause of the blast was not immediately clear.

          The blast was in front of a restaurant and a courthouse on the east bank of the Tigris which flows through the capital.

          At the United Nations, Allawi made an impassioned appeal for international support, particularly in the fight against the terrorists he said were trying to wreak havoc in Iraq after the ouster of Saddam Hussein a year and a half ago.

          "Our struggle is your struggle, our victory will be your victory. And if we are defeated, it will be your defeat," he said in a speech at UN headquarters.

          In Washington, the US State Department number-two said every effort would be made to ensure that all eligible Iraqi voters take part.

          "Is it going to be messy? Yes, it will," Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said in congressional testimony.

          "But it's going to be fair and transparent."

          However, Allawi had earlier met with US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who said that more US troops may have to be sent to Iraq to provide security for elections, and that a vote may not be held in all parts of the country if there is too much violence.

          In Iraq's kidnapping epidemic, the fate of British engineer Kenneth Bigley, the sole surviving member of a trio of Western hostages threatened with death, remained unknown, as did that of two Italian women aid workers seized earlier this month.

          Two Egyptian engineers named as Mustafa Abdel Latif and Mahmud Turki, working for Egyptian telecom giant Orascom, were snatched at gunpoint from their central Baghdad office late Thursday, an interior ministry spokesman said.

          Six other employees of the company -- four Egyptians and two Iraqis -- were seized near the troubled Syrian border town of Qaim on Wednesday, an expatriate employee of the company told AFP.

          Cairo confirmed the abduction of those four nationals.

          The Egyptian mission in Baghdad was in touch with "different circles with which it has strong ties in order to guarantee the release of the Egyptian hostages," a statement released in Cairo said.

          The abductions were the latest in close to 150 kidnappings of foreigners reported in Iraq since April. At least two Egyptian hostages have been executed in recent weeks and two others released.

          A video of the 62-year-old Bigley pleading with British Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) to meet his Al-Qaeda-linked captors' demands for the release of Iraqi women prisoners was aired on Thursday but there was still no word on the Englishman's fate.

          A group of Iraqis started distributing 50,000 pamphlets with Bigley's picture in the upmarket Mansur neighborhood of Baghdad where he was kidnapped last week, together with two US colleagues.

          The Unity and Holy War group of alleged Al-Qaeda operative Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi -- the most-wanted man in Iraq -- already beheaded the two Americans after the coalition refused to release the two Iraqi women it detains.

          US artillery and aircraft pounded southern sectors of the Sunni Arab insurgent enclave of Fallujah, residents said.

          The military confirmed it had fired artillery at suspected insurgents but said there were no air strikes.

          The US military has intensified strikes on Fallujah this month, targeting alleged hideouts of Zarqawi.

          The city poses the most serious obstacle to the holding of nationwide elections as planned in January, but the US-backed prime minister was adamant during meetings with US officials in Washington Thursday that the vote would go ahead as planned.

          "I know that some have speculated, even doubted, whether this date can be met," Allawi told US lawmakers. "So let me be absolutely clear. Elections will occur in Iraq on time."

          US President George W. Bush acknowledged that "terrorist violence may well escalate as the January elections draw near" and cautioned the Iraqi government and its allies against lowering their guard.

          But Rumsfeld spelled out US misgivings about the possibility of nationwide polls as soon as January.

          "Let's say you tried to have an election and you could have it in three-quarters or four-fifths of the country but some places you couldn't, because the violence was too great. Well, so be it."

          US officials in Baghdad have said that contingency plans exist to defer the polls in the Sunni-dominated province of Al-Anbar, west of Baghdad, where insurgents effectively control some of the bigger population centers.

          Rumsfeld also suggested that US troops could start pulling out of Iraq before the country is completely stabilized.

          "Any implication that that place has to be peaceful and perfect before we can reduce coalition and US forces would obviously be, I think, unwise, because it has never been peaceful and perfect, and it isn't likely to be," he said after meeting Allawi.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Wen: China supports Russia's WTO bid

           

             
           

          Nation gears up for incoming festival, holiday

           

             
           

          36 still missing as search goes on

           

             
           

          Dorm: A room of one's own

           

             
           

          Telecom, Netcom to link wireless services

           

             
           

          Moves to expose dangers of smoking

           

             
            Eight hostages seized as nationwide polls cancelled
             
            Pakistan, India leaders vow to seek peace
             
            U.S. officials differ on Iraqi elections
             
            Musharraf 'reasonably sure' Bin Laden is alive
             
            British hostage's family seeks Iraqi help
             
            Panic erupts in flood-ravaged Haiti city
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          U.S. officials differ on Iraqi elections
             
          British hostage's family seeks Iraqi help
             
          Six Egyptians snatched in Iraq
             
          Bush: Terrorists may plan more attacks
             
          Iraq, British won't give in to kidnappers
             
          France pours cold water on Bush's sunny vision of Iraq
             
          Italian women said dead in Iraq, UK hostage pleads
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 男女性高爱潮免费网站| 色哟哟www网站入口成人学校| 亚洲精品国产自在现线最新| 国产乱女乱子视频在线播放| 婷婷无套内射影院| 亚洲男人第一无码av网站| 欧美色a电影精品aaaa| 国产午夜精品一区二区三| 图片区偷拍区小说区五月| 手机无码人妻一区二区三区免费| 久在线精品视频线观看| 国产69精品久久久久人妻| 亚洲国产精品无码一区二区三区| 精品国产乱码久久久久久红粉| 高清日韩一区二区三区视频| 一区二区三区av天堂| 亚洲午夜福利精品一二飞| 国产精品亚洲二区在线播放| 四房播色综合久久婷婷| 精品视频一区二区| 久久精品国产99久久6| 国产精品亚洲А∨天堂免| 国产黄色精品高潮播放| 国产日韩精品中文字幕| 亚洲夜色噜噜av在线观看| 国产gaysexchina男外卖| 国产美女免费永久无遮挡| 国产成人精品永久免费视频| 国产二区三区不卡免费 | 国产一区免费在线观看| 高清有码国产一区二区| 日韩在线观看精品亚洲| 日韩理伦片一区二区三区| 爆乳熟妇一区二区三区| 国产免费午夜福利在线观看| 亚洲人妻一区二区精品| 国产成人精品永久免费视频| 无码国产欧美一区二区三区不卡| 妇女自拍偷自拍亚洲精品| 邻居少妇张开腿让我爽了一夜| 日本女优在线观看一区二区三区|