<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Jeanne tears across Bahamas toward Florida
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-09-26 09:13

          Hurricane Jeanne got stronger, bigger and faster as it battered the Bahamas and bore down on Florida Saturday, forcing hundreds of thousands more residents to hurriedly shutter their homes ahead of its anticipated devastating punch.

          About 2 million people, from near the state's southern tip to the Georgia border, were urged to evacuate as Jeanne strengthened to 115 mph from 105 mph earlier in the day. It was expected to come ashore late Saturday or early Sunday somewhere on the state's central Atlantic coast and take a last-minute turn to the north that could devastate east and central Florida.


          Waves caused by Hurricane Jeanne crash behind the lighthouse at the Nassau harbour entrance as Jeanne passed through the island of New Providence, Bahamas on Saturday Sept. 25, 2004. Jeanne's eye made a direct hit on the northwestern island of Abaco Saturday morning and its sustained winds strengthened to 115 mph (185 kph), making it the sixth major hurricane of the season. Forecasters said further strengthening was possible as Jeanne headed toward southeast Florida. [AP]

          "Yesterday I was hoping we wouldn't lose power again," said Lynn Tarrington of Lake Worth, who was leaving her home near the water early Saturday. "Now I'm hoping I have a house left when I come back."

          As it made its way toward Florida, Jeanne tore across the Bahamas, leaving some neighborhoods submerged under 5 feet of water. No deaths or serious injuries were reported there, but the storm was earlier blamed for more than 1,500 deaths in floods in Haiti.

          The Category 3 storm's outer bands started lashing Florida Saturday morning with steadily increasing rain and wind. Waves of 24 feet were reported ahead of Jeanne and were moving toward the coast.

          It will be the state's fourth hurricane in six weeks — a scenario unmatched in more than a century.

          Jeanne was expected to hit near where Hurricane Frances came ashore three weeks ago, leaving behind piles of debris that officials feared would turn into deadly, home-destroying missiles in Jeanne's wind.

          "I really can't believe it's happening all over again — and right in the same place," said Charity Brown, who moved to West Palm Beach from Chicago three months ago with her children, ages 5 and 3. They hid in a closet as Frances tore the roof off their apartment. That hole is now covered by a tarp, so the family took shelter Saturday at an elementary school that was filling with evacuees.

          "I'm going to get out of (Florida). It's scary. It's crazy."

          Not since Texas in 1886 has one state has been struck by four hurricanes in a season. Jeanne follows Charley, which struck Aug. 13 and devastated southwest Florida; Frances, which struck Labor Day weekend; and Ivan, which blasted the western Panhandle when it made landfall in nearby Alabama on Sept. 16. The storms caused billions of dollars in combined damage and killed at least 70 people in Florida alone.

          Gov. Jeb Bush warned Floridians not to let storm fatigue get the best of them, "even though we're weary and even though this is a painful process."

          "They must treat this hurricane as if it's the only hurricane they've ever been through," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. "This has the potential to cause loss of life."

          Officials ran out of time to remove piles of debris left over from Frances — some taller than adults — that still sit in neighborhoods. Some people took to burning the downed trees, housing material and other debris that could become airborne, banging into homes and endangering anyone who ventures outside. If debris penetrates a home's window or wall, that would allow Jeanne's winds to get inside and push off the roof.

          At a mobile home park on the Intracoastal Waterway, George MacArthur's home was one of the few that remained intact amid mounds of twisted metal, smashed furniture, broken tiles and garbage bins filled with trash. He feared his home was about to be smashed by all the debris Jeanne flings about.

          "All the ones in the front got it last time. Now it's my turn," MacArthur said.

          The storm will make the already formidable job of keeping the lights on in Florida even more difficult — especially if Jeanne follows in Frances' path, giving its wind piles of ammunition to topple power lines.

          Electric company officials feared Hurricane Jeanne could leave millions of customers without power, some for three weeks or more. An estimated 6 million people were affected by outages caused by Hurricane Frances.

          About 12,000 customers already were without power in South Florida on Saturday. In the Panhandle, more than 81,000 homes and business remained without electricity because of Hurricane Ivan.

          Florida Power and Light, the state's largest power company, had recruited 2,500 workers from around the country to help with the impending restoration effort, and was trying to recruit more, company president Armando Olivera said.

          Gas stations and businesses were boarded up and deserted Saturday afternoon, and law enforcement took to the radio airwaves, saying that anyone who was outside their homes after the 6 p.m. curfew would end up in jail.

          It was unknown how many of the 2 million people urged to evacuate actually did, but Judy and Terry Smith, their daughter and son-in-law were among them.

          They were driving from their home on Merritt Island inland to a hotel in Orlando, bringing their one dog and five cats with them. Their house was spared by Frances, but they weren't taking any chances with Jeanne.

          "What can you do?" Judy Smith asked. "You've got your house insurance, and everything in it can be replaced. Everything I care about is right here," she said, motioning to her family, her eyes filling with tears.

          State officials said more than 31,000 people were housed in shelters Saturday. Many of them have homes that were damaged by Hurricane Frances.

          LaTrease Haliburton reluctantly checked into a West Palm Beach shelter with her 6-year-old daughter, who has had nightmares since Frances caved in the bathroom ceiling in her family's apartment.

          "I don't want to be here, but what else can I do," Haliburton said. "I want to make sure my daughter isn't as scared this time. ... I'm hoping this is easier on her."

          Others were trying to ride out the storm. Behind a fire station in Titusville, a pile of sand, bags and shovels were open to all. Alfred Grace was filling sandbags to put on his roof to hold down the tarps covering damage from the last hurricane.

          Johnny Curry, 50, a Kennedy Space Center engineer, wanted sandbags to keep water away from the back of his house. Water almost got into his patio door during Frances.

          "I can't do anything about this until I retire," said Curry, who ultimately plans to move to Georgia. "This is getting a little old."

          At 5 p.m. EDT, Jeanne was centered about 105 miles east-southeast of Vero Beach and was moving west and slightly north at 14 mph, slightly faster than Friday.

          Jeanne was expected to turn north over central Florida and stay inland over Georgia and the Carolinas through Tuesday. Rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches were expected in the storm's path, and flooding could be a major concern because previous hurricanes have already saturated the ground and filled canals, rivers and lakes.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          CPC central committee to give reforms boost

           

             
           

          Premier pushes for stronger Russian ties

           

             
           

          High quote blocking Hisense-BSH dispute

           

             
           

          Iran says it tested 'strategic missile'

           

             
           

          DPRK missile site movements said continuing

           

             
           

          Chinese economy grows at 9% this year

           

             
            Iran successfully launched long-range missile
             
            Internet site offers clients after-death e-mail service
             
            Web posting claims British hostage killed
             
            Seven Iraqis killed, 11 wounded as US forces pound Fallujah
             
            Australian PM warned off Iraq by weapons expert
             
            Eight hostages seized as nationwide polls cancelled
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲午夜精品久久久久久抢| 99热成人精品热久久66| 99在线精品国自产拍中文字幕| 97久久综合亚洲色hezyo| 国产在线观看网址不卡一区| 亚洲av影片在线观看| 加勒比中文字幕无码一区| 好男人好资源WWW社区| 无码国产精品一区二区免费式直播| 亚洲精品日本久久一区二区三区| 动漫av网站免费观看| av在线播放国产一区| av中文无码乱人伦在线观看| 成年在线观看免费人视频| 久久久av男人的天堂| 精品一精品国产一级毛片| 樱花草在线社区WWW韩国| 日本又黄又爽gif动态图| 久久精品亚洲精品国产色婷| 做暖暖视频在线看片免费| 国语对白爽死我了| 亚洲欧美精品一中文字幕| 亚洲自偷自偷在线成人网站传媒| 亚洲免费日韩一区二区| 亚洲黄日本午夜一区二区| 亚洲精品国产av一区二区| 99er久久国产精品先锋| 亚洲激情一区二区三区视频| 国产日韩精品欧美一区灰 | 久久精品国产91精品亚洲| 日夜啪啪一区二区三区| 国内精品久久人妻无码妲| 97久久超碰亚洲视觉盛宴| 韩国午夜理论在线观看| 亚洲av中文乱码一区二| 四虎永久在线精品免费视频观看| 91精品国产色综合久久不| 国产在线精品第一区二区| 日本高清在线观看WWWWW色| 国产午夜福利视频一区二区| 扒开粉嫩的小缝隙喷白浆视频 |