<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          100 dead as US troops storm rebel-held town
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-10-02 10:10

          At least 100 people were killed and 180 wounded as US and Iraqi troops stormed the rebel-held city of Samarra in a first effort to restore government control before promised elections, while a shocked nation buried 34 children killed by car bombs.


          A Shiite Iraqi, loyal to cleric Moqtada Sadr, weeps over the coffin of his colleague who was killed during clashes against US troops in Baghdad's Sadr City neighborhood. [AFP]
          Iraq's hostage crisis showed no let-up, with Jakarta confirming two nationals were among the 10 latest victims. Al-Jazeera television said the two were seized along with six Iraqis and two Lebanese working for an electrical equipment firm.

          A massive force of 3,000 US troops and 2,000 Iraqi auxiliaries poured into Samarra before dawn and seized the city hall and police stations in the largest joint operation since last year's invasion.

          The armoured assault came just a day after the US-backed interim government vowed to restore control over all insurgent enclaves in the restive Sunni Arab belt north and west of Baghdad by next month in readiness for nationwide polls promised for January.

          "In response to repeated and unprovoked attacks by anti-Iraqi forces (US military terminology for insurgents), Iraqi security forces and multinational forces secured the government and police buildings in Samarra," the US military said.

          A spokesman said 114 insurgents were killed for the loss of just one US soldier. Four more American troops were wounded.

          Samarra's main hospital received 90 dead and 180 wounded, said Dr Khaled Ahmed.

          There was intense fighting between troops and insurgents in the city centre around the gold-domed Imam Ali al-Hadi mausoleum, a revered Shiite Muslim shrine in the midst of this overhwelmingly Sunni Arab city of some 250,000 people.

          Smoke billowed into the sky as the two sides traded fire on the hallowed ground, but the Iraqi army's 36th Commando Battalion secured the area and there was no damage to the mausoleum, the military said.

          A Turkish hostage was freed by US troops in the city, it added.

          By midday (0900 GMT), US forces held the city hall and police stations, while Iraqi troops had won control of key heritage sites, including the renowned spiral minaret of the ninth century Al-Malwiya mosque on Samarra's outskirts.

          Iraqi forces captured 37 insurgents, said National Security Advisor Qassem Daoud.

          The massive offensive came despite mounting talk in recent days of an imminent deal between insurgents and Iraq's interim authorities for a peaceful restoration of government control.

          Only Thursday, provincial governor Hamed Hamud al-Qaissy said a deal was close and cautioned against any resort to force, saying it risked a new spiral of violence in the region.

          The leader of a Samarra political association also expressed dismay at the the offensive.

          "We were in talks with Prime Minister Iyad Allawi about the situation in Samarra, including reaching an agreement to allow Iraqi forces to enter the city. We were surprised by this military offensive," said Khaled Naji al-Samarrai.

          But on Friday night, Iraq's national security advisor insisted municipal, clerical and tribal leaders had asked the government to intervene at a meeting in Baghdad last Sunday.

          "They said frankly please come and help us," said Daoud. "Even if they didn't ask us, we would have still gone into the city."

          The government has come under mounting pressure to reassert control amid mounting expressions of doubt that credible nationwide elections can be held as planned in January amid an escalation of car bombings and other violence across the Sunni Arab belt, which fared relatively well under Saddam's Sunni-dominated regime.

          A double suicide car bombing at a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Baghdad killed 34 children and eight adults on the last day of September, capping one of Iraq's deadliest months that saw nearly 600 people killed, according to an AFP count.

          Adults and children in the poverty-stricken neighbourhood of Al-Amel, where the streets are filled with rubbish and sewage, were gathered for the opening of a brand new water pump station built by the US military.

          On Friday, the working-class Baghdad neighbourhood was burying its dead and still finding parts of children's bodies at the scene of the blasts.

          The attacks followed another car bombing west of the capital that killed one US soldier and two Iraqis.

          In a new bid to secure the release of British hostage Kenneth Bigley, 100,000 leaflets from his family appealing for the 62-year-old engineer's release were handed out at Baghdad mosques, some of them in areas loyal to the insurgents, the British embassy said.

          But an unofficial French mediator acknowledged in Damascus that his bid to secure the release of two captive French newsmen had failed.

          "I was expecting the journalists to return today, but that hasn't happened for security reasons and because other people claiming to speak for the French government have said they could come up with large amounts of cash," said French MP Didier Julia.

          French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin refused to be downcast, saying the information coming out of Iraq was "not complete" and that the government still had "a favourable outlook" about the prospects for a happy ending.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          President Hu joins park revellers on National Day

           

             
           

          Bush, Kerry poles apart on North Korea

           

             
           

          Weapon sales to Taiwan opposed

           

             
           

          After debate, Bush ridicules Kerry, France

           

             
           

          Crude settles above $50 for first time

           

             
           

          Companies protest against US sanctions

           

             
            100 dead as US troops storm rebel-held town
             
            Police find Utah woman's body in landfill
             
            Zawahri urges Muslims to hit US allies' interests
             
            After debate, Bush ridicules Kerry, France
             
            Mount St. Helens erupts after 18 years
             
            Crude settles above $50 for first time
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          80 killed in U.S. offensive in Iraq
             
          US and Iraqi forces attack insurgents
             
          Two Indonesia nationals kidnapped in Iraq
             
          Baghdad bombings kill 34 children
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 天堂在线最新版在线天堂| 国产精品女同一区二区久| 国产一级特黄aa大片软件| 亚洲国产av无码精品无广告| 国产伦一区二区三区精品 | 久久青青草原亚洲AV无码麻豆| 国产av亚洲精品ai换脸电影 | 热久久美女精品天天吊色| 久艾草在线精品视频在线观看| 九九热在线视频| av永久免费网站在线观看| 亚洲av成人精品免费看| 色偷偷www.8888在线观看| 美女把尿囗扒开让男人添| 国产精品中文字幕久久| 日韩国产精品无码一区二区三区| 人妻被猛烈进入中文字幕| 国产热A欧美热A在线视频| 亚洲女同精品一区二区久久| 国产亚洲美女精品久久| 黑人巨大亚洲一区二区久| 国产精品十八禁一区二区| 日本久久99成人网站| 亚洲AV蜜桃永久无码精品| 久久99国产精品久久99软件| 一区二区三区精品不卡| 边添小泬边狠狠躁视频| 色综合久久一区二区三区| 无套内射视频囯产| 秋霞A级毛片在线看| 国产内射性高湖| 青青青视频91在线 | 日本女优在线观看一区二区三区 | 亚洲免费视频一区二区三区| 国产精品一区二区三粉嫩| 亚洲欧美高清在线精品一区二区 | av中文无码韩国亚洲色偷偷| 国产一区二区三区小说| 免费人妻精品一区二| 婷婷99视频精品全部在线观看 | 在线看a网站|