<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Britain shocked by death of Iraq hostage
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-10-09 09:56

          Washington's closest ally in Iraq was horrified by the beheading of a British hostage there and Prime Minister Tony Blair urged Britons not to let it undermine their support for continued involvement in the country.


          File TV grab taken from a videotape broadcast on Qatar-based satellite news channel al-Jazeera shows British hostage in Iraq, Kenneth Bigley huddled in a cage. Bigley, kidnapped in Baghdad last month, has been killed, Sky News television reported, quoting government sources. [AFP]

          Blair's government, which for three weeks refused to bargain with Kenneth Bigley's kidnappers even after they killed his two American colleagues, revealed that it had opened secret contacts with them in the days before his death on Thursday.

          But on Friday a Reuters journalist saw a video in Baghdad in which the 62-year-old construction engineer made a final despairing plea for his life before militants suspected of fostering ties to al Qaeda severed his head with a knife.

          British and Iraqi officials denied that Bigley died after a failed attempt to rescue him somewhere in rebel-held Sunni Muslim territory west or south of Baghdad but declined comment on a report from a Western security source that he was killed after making an attempt to escape with help from an insider.

          "I feel a strong sense, as I hope others do, that the actions of these people whether in Iraq or elsewhere should not prevail over people like Kenneth Bigley, who after all, only wanted to make Iraq and the world a better place," Blair said.

          The video scene was familiar from tapes of the deaths of Americans Eugene Armstrong and Jack Hensley, seized with Bigley from their Baghdad home on Sept. 16, and of other killings by a group led by Jordanian Islamist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

          Abu Dhabi television said it had the tape but would not broadcast it, refusing to serve as a "mouthpiece" for one of many groups that have severely restricted movement by foreigners in Iraq and hampered U.S.-led efforts to rebuild infrastructure.

          Reuters Iraqi cameraman Maher Nazih, who saw the video but has only a limited command of English, said Bigley, unshaven and clad in an orange, prison-style jumpsuit, had spoken before he died. He said something along the lines of: "I need help. I need my government's help. I am a simple man. I want to live."

          Pressure on Blair

          Iraq's Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi told Reuters he believed Zarqawi had intended to kill all his hostages from the start and was never serious in its demand that the United States free female prisoners in Iraq. Washington says it holds only two women, both weapons scientists under Saddam Hussein.

          "This is a horrible, barbaric act," said Allawi, who is relying on U.S. and British military support to stabilize the country sufficiently to hold elections in January.

          "We are determined to pursue those terrorists who killed Mr Bigley and put them on trial as soon as possible."

          Blair has faced fierce criticism at home since joining the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam last year and was put under further pressure this week when U.S. inspectors concluded that Saddam had had none of the banned weapons on which Blair had based his decision to take Britain to war.

          Though his center-left Labour party is still favorite to win a third term at an election expected next year, analysts said Bigley's death would hamper Blair's efforts to turn public debate away from the difficulties in Iraq.

          Bigley had appeared in two previous videos pleading directly with Blair to save his life. After Italy, which also has troops in Iraq, as widely assumed to have paid a ransom for two women aid workers last week, Britain insisted that negotiating with the hostage-takers would only put other Britons at risk.

          "I feel utter revulsion at the people who did this, not just at the barbaric nature of the killing but the way frankly they played with the situation over the past few weeks," Blair said.

          Last-ditch Contacts

          Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said messages between London and the kidnappers began after a man approached the British embassy in Baghdad four days earlier "presenting himself as a potential intermediary." There was no negotiation, he said, but an attempt to "dissuade them from carrying out their threat."

          "I don't believe there was or could have been anything further we could have done," Straw said.

          One of Bigley's brothers praised the government's efforts but another, Paul Bigley, urged Blair to end the war in Iraq, and said: "Mr Blair has blood on his hands."

          Some 30 foreign hostages are thought to have been killed in Iraq. Two Westerners are still being held -- French journalists Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot. They were seized in August by a different group, the Islamic Army in Iraq.

          U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan called Bigley's killing a revolting public display and urged "the immediate and unconditional release of all civilian hostages in Iraq..."

          In somewhat more positive news for the interim government's efforts to end fighting with armed groups that control several parts of the country, Defense Minister Hazim al-Shalaan said Iraqi officials and residents of Falluja had reached an agreement meant to halt bloodshed in the rebel-held city.

          Shalaan told the London-based Asharq al-Awsat newspaper the agreement included a three-day cease-fire of strikes on Falluja, the entry of Iraqi forces into the city and disarming its people of heavy weapons. He did not say when this would begin.

          Zarqawi's group is believed to have bases in Falluja, 30 miles west of the capital. Sources among militants there said Bigley was killed at Latifiya, to the south of Baghdad.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          ASEM calls for UN role in war on terrorism

           

             
           

          Viet Nam vows to honour commitments

           

             
           

          Britain shocked by death of Iraq hostage

           

             
           

          Year of events brings a lot of France to China

           

             
           

          Russia denies cutting oil exports to China

           

             
           

          Psychological problems on the rise

           

             
            Afghans set for historic vote under militant threat
             
            Iraq, jobs on agenda for Bush-Kerry debate
             
            Bush to aid 'moderate' parties in Iraq election
             
            Video shows British hostage beheaded
             
            Major quake shakes Manila
             
            Israeli official blames al-Qaida in blasts
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产女主播白浆在线观看| 丰满人妻熟妇乱又伦精品app | 狠狠亚洲色一日本高清色| 欧美成人a在线网站| 久久日韩精品一区二区五区| japanese人妻中文字幕| 欧美牲交a欧美牲交aⅴ免费真| 永久免费AV无码国产网站| 国产日产欧洲无码视频无遮挡| 亚洲精品免费一二三区| 久久免费精品视频| 欧美一本大道香蕉综合视频| 性视频一区| 中文字幕久久六月色综合| 手机成人午夜在线视频| 久久狠狠一本精品综合网| 久久这里只有精品免费首页| 免费国产高清在线精品一区| 精品国产成人三级在线观看| 一区二区三区精品偷拍| 午夜自产精品一区二区三区| 狠狠久久亚洲欧美专区| 人妻日韩精品中文字幕| 福利一区二区在线播放| 亚洲av永久无码精品网站| 无码专区男人本色| 国产精品v片在线观看不卡| 99视频九九精品视频在线观看| 日本视频一区二区三区1| 亚洲av高清一区二区三| 中文字幕人妻av第一区| 国产日韩欧美一区二区东京热| 国产自拍一区二区三区在线| japanese无码中文字幕| 精品国产一国产二国产三| 中文字幕人妻中出制服诱惑| 看免费的无码区特aa毛片| 99精品高清在线播放| 久久精品免视看国产成人| 人成午夜免费大片| 久久青青草原精品国产app|