<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          EU ends 12 years of Libya sanctions
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-10-12 08:50

          The European Union on Monday ended 12 years of sanctions against Libya and eased an arms embargo to reward the North African country for giving up plans to develop weapons of mass destruction.

          The decision by the EU foreign ministers brought the 25-nation bloc in line with a U.N. decision last year and reflected a significant warming of relations in recent months.

          "This is a turning point in relations with Libya," French European Affairs Minister Claudie Haignere said.

          The U.N. sanctions were imposed in 1992 to force Tripoli to hand over two Libyans indicted for the 1988 bombing of an American airliner over the Scottish town of Lockerbie. A year later, they were expanded to include a freeze on Libyan assets in foreign bank accounts and a ban on buying oil equipment.

          The Security Council suspended the sanctions after the two Lockerbie suspects were delivered for trial in 1999, and abolished them last year after Libya agreed to compensate the families of the Lockerbie victims as well as those of the 1989 bombing of a French airliner over Niger.

          The EU, like the United States, wants to improve relations with Libya now that Tripoli has scrapped its program to develop weapons of mass destruction.

          Britain was pushing for a complete normalization of relations between the 25-nation EU and Libya and a full lifting of a separate arms embargo, according to a senior British official in London.

          But friction remains over a Libyan court's conviction of five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor accused of deliberately infecting more than 400 Libyan children with the AIDS virus. They were sentenced to death in May after allegedly infecting the children as part of an experiment to find a cure for AIDS.

          Human rights groups allege Libya concocted the experiment story to hide unsafe practices in its hospitals and clinics. Bulgaria has close ties with the EU and is to become a full member in 2007.

          "We are very concerned about the situation of the Bulgarian citizens," said Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos. He said the EU wants that court ruling to be reversed.

          The Europeans are eager to invest in Libya's substantial oil reserves and obtain its cooperation in stopping the flow of illegal immigrants into Europe.

          Separately, the foreign ministers approved an Italian request to ease the EU's own arms embargo imposed on Libya in 1986. This will enable Libya to buy high-tech equipment to prevent the flow of illegal African migrants through Libya into Europe.

          An EU "technical mission" will likely visit Libya in November to assess Libya's need for equipment to monitor illegal migration.

          Italy wants to sell equipment such as night-vision binoculars and helicopters, but has not been able to do so because of the arms embargo.

          The United States lifted most of its commercial sanctions in April after Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi abandoned his banned weapons programs.

          As a sign of warming relations, Gadhafi went to the EU's Brussels headquarters in April on his first trip outside the Mideast or Africa in 15 years.

          European Commission President Romano Prodi has visited Libya several times to meet Gadhafi to discuss ways for Libya to sign up to an EU aid and trade pact it has with North African and Middle Eastern nations.

          To join up to that pact, Libya will have to sign declarations renouncing terrorism as well as committing to implement democratic reforms and respect human rights.

          Also Monday, Gadhafi received a delegation of Italian Jews for talks on possible compensation of Libyan Jews expelled after the 1967 Middle East war, a representative of one of Gadhafi's sons said.

          It was believed to be the first meeting in Libya with representatives of the 6,000 Libyan Jews who fled an anti-Jewish backlash following Israel's victory.

          Saadi Gadhafi, a professional soccer player in Italy, played a key role in setting up the meeting, according to Nicola Ravarini from a Milan public relations firm representing the son. In Libya, officials did not comment.

          Three weeks ago, the elder Gadhafi for the first time spoke about the possibility of compensation. "We have to separate between the Jews and Zionism, therefore the Jews who were in Libya and whose properties were unjustly confiscated should be compensated ... but those Jews who seized properties from Palestinians in Israel do not deserve compensation," he said.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Annan applauds China's role in United Nations

           

             
           

          Talks ongoing to free kidnapped Chinese

           

             
           

          WHO report highlights traffic safety in China

           

             
           

          China issue rules on overseas investment

           

             
           

          Trade unions launch Beijing Consensus

           

             
           

          Bus crash kills 21 in Southwest China

           

             
            Kerry opens three-point lead on Bush
             
            Norwegian, American win economics prize
             
            Nigeria faces general strike
             
            Mount St. Helens shoots out more steam
             
            Car bombs kill 11 as Rumsfeld visits Iraq
             
            Panel to probe fraud claims in Afghan vote
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          EU agrees to lift arms embargo on Libya
             
          UK hails US lifting of sanctions against Libya
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲熟女乱色一区二区三区| 亚洲AV成人午夜福利在线观看| 精品一区二区三区乱码中文| 亚洲国产日韩在线精品频道| 色哟哟www网站入口成人学校| 蜜臀人妻精品一区二区免费| 国产精品电影久久久久电影网 | 日韩精品亚洲国产成人av| 小嫩批日出水无码视频免费| 日韩人妻无码精品久久| 丰满熟女人妻大乳| 中文字幕手机在线看片不卡| 欧美高清狂热视频60一70| 青青草原国产精品啪啪视频| 美女一区二区三区亚洲麻豆| 精品国产欧美一区二区三区在线| 99精品日本二区留学生| 无码国产精品一区二区免费3p| 亚洲制服丝袜系列AV无码| 亚洲日本精品一区二区| 在线观看国产小视频| 中文字幕国产精品一区二| 狠狠v日韩v欧美v| 久久精品国产亚洲精品色婷婷| 国产一级区二级区三级区| 樱花草在线社区WWW韩国| 精品一区二区三区在线观看l| 国产精品v片在线观看不卡| 国产无遮挡无码视频在线观看 | 国产福利社区一区二区| 国产xxxxx在线观看免费| 国产激情一区二区三区四区| 四虎在线成人免费观看| 国产精品精品一区二区三| 少妇被粗大的猛烈进出动视频 | 亚洲情色av一区二区| 国产办公室秘书无码精品99| 欧美熟妇xxxxx欧美老妇不卡| 亚洲伊人精品久视频国产| 中文字幕乱码中文乱码毛片| 国产特级毛片aaaaaa毛片|