<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Istanbul's Jews re-open synagogue after bombing
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-10-12 16:48

          Shielded by police and steel doors, hundreds of Turkish Jews celebrated the re-opening of Istanbul's main synagogue on Monday, nearly a year after suicide bombers shattered the tiny community's relative peace.

          In Turkish, Hebrew and their Ladino dialect, they prayed for peaceful co-existence with their Muslim neighbours -- and for a new temple where they might worship in greater safety.

          Police cordoned off streets leading to the Neve Salom synagogue, which means "oasis of peace" in Hebrew, and visitors entered the temple through a series of thick steel doors.

          Chief Rabbi Isak Haleva carried the Torah scrolls into the hall after the plaintive call of the Shofar, or ram's horn.

          "In every part of the world and in every cultural setting... houses of worship have been spared acts of violence," Haleva told the crowd, which included members of the Islamist-leaning government and Muslim and Christian leaders.

          "The few exceptions are rare acts (and) have always been condemned, sometimes by justice, sometimes by history, but always by the collective conscience. That this remains so is of the utmost importance for the future of mankind."

          Twenty-four people, mainly Muslim passers-by, were killed when truck bombs struck Neve Salom and the Beit Israel synagogue across town almost simultaneously on Nov. 15, 2003. Five days later, two suicide bombers killed 33 people at the British consulate and the offices of the London-based HSBC bank.

          A Turkish cell with links to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network claimed responsibility for the four attacks, and 69 people have gone on trial for their suspected roles in the bombings, one of peacetime Turkey's worst episodes of violence.

          Muslim yet constitutionally secular, Turkey's strong military and diplomatic ties with the United States and Israel have made it a target for Islamic extremists, observers say.

          Fewer than 25,000 Jews remain in Turkey today, mainly the descendants of Sephardim who fled the Spanish Inquisition half a millennium ago for the multi-ethnic Ottoman Empire.

          Thousands left amid economic and political instability after the secular Turkish Republic was formed in 1923. Those whose families stayed behind are now among Turkey's most prosperous, including businessmen, professors and artists.

          "The re-opening of this synagogue, made world famous by terrorist attacks, is a valuable symbol of the vitality of this small community," said columnist Sami Kohen, who is Jewish.

          Kohen grew up near Neve Salom in Istanbul's ancient Galata district, once the Jewish quarter but now a dilapidated zone. The rabbinate has difficulty preserving the area's handful of synagogues, and security is poor in the maze of narrow streets.

          Neve Salom had been attacked twice before. In 1986, Arab gunmen stormed the synagogue and killed 22 Jews, and six years later Turkish bombers bungled an attempt to blow up the temple.

          Silvyo Ovadya, president of the Jewish community, reminded the government of the promise it made following the bombings to provide land for a new synagogue. "Realities demonstrate that we urgently need a new synagogue and community centre," he said.

          In its quest to join the European Union, Turkey this year eased restrictions on opening houses of worship other than mosques to enable some religious minorities to establish the first new churches or temples in a half century.

          "Turkey's Jews are the linchpin in the EU bid," said one diplomat at Monday's service. "The government's response as they seek a new synagogue will serve as a a test of the reforms."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China to lobby for 4th round six-party talks

           

             
           

          Tax revenue growth slows down

           

             
           

          China to amend Criminal Procedure Law

           

             
           

          US urged to abide by one-China principle

           

             
           

          President pledges support to UN, Annan

           

             
           

          Beijing to get water from Hebei, Shanxi

           

             
            Saddam said to have undergone operation
             
            U.S. Shuttles may resume ISS flights in May
             
            Helicopter crash delays vote count
             
            US steps up attacks on Iraq insurgents
             
            Gunmen kill Iraqi local official in Mosul
             
            Istanbul's Jews re-open synagogue after bombing
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Istanbul bombs kill two, Qaeda claims attacks
             
          Blasts hit Istanbul, 15 dead - TV
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久精品国产99国产精品严洲| 国产成人精品亚洲资源| 国产成人精品2021欧美日韩| 熟女人妻aⅴ一区二区三区电影| 67194亚洲无码| 亚洲国产精品人人做人人爱| 午夜综合网| 精品国产一区二区三区麻豆| 丰满人妻一区二区三区视频| 日韩精品中文字幕人妻| 中文字幕亚洲制服在线看| 精品国产粉嫩一区二区三区| 亚洲综合精品一区二区三区| 国产精品成人网址在线观看| 丰满少妇呻吟高潮经历| 九九成人免费视频| 在线中文字幕亚洲日韩2020| 亚洲色无码专区在线观看精品| 无套内谢少妇毛片在线| 欧美牲交videossexeso欧美| 内地偷拍一区二区三区| 亚洲人成影网站~色| 成人午夜免费一区二区三区| 最新精品国偷自产在线美女足| 国产色婷婷亚洲99精品小说| 欧美成人精品三级网站| 久久精品av国产一区二区| 婷婷综合久久狠狠色成人网| 7777精品久久久大香线蕉| 又黄又硬又湿又刺激视频免费| 亚洲国产香蕉视频欧美| 无套内谢少妇一二三四| 一炕四女被窝交换啪啪| 国产国拍亚洲精品永久软件| 国产爆乳美女娇喘呻吟| 翘臀少妇被扒开屁股日出水爆乳| 99久久精品久久久久久婷婷| 丰满人妻被黑人猛烈进入| 欧美日韩综合网| 亚洲国产精品一区二区第一页| 亚洲AV无码国产在丝袜APP|