<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Falluja attack looms, civilians urged to flee
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-11-06 08:15

          U.S. air and artillery strikes shook rebel-held Falluja late on Friday after troops, using leaflets and loudspeakers, urged Iraqi civilians to leave.

          U.N. chief Kofi Annan warned a widely predicted all-out offensive to take the city could threaten national elections due in January.


          Soldiers of the New Iraqi Army jump out of a vehicle during training at a base near the city of Falluja in western Iraq, November 5, 2004. U.S. troops urged civilians to flee Falluja on Friday and launched air strikes on the rebel city ahead of an assault seen as critical to attempts to pacify Iraq before January elections. The U.S. military says the assault on Falluja will succeed where an April one failed because this time it will be ordered by an Iraqi government and Iraqi forces will be involved. In April, Iraqi units refused to fight with U.S. troops. [Reuters]
          The latest bombardment was the heaviest in months and shook the entire city, locals said. There was no immediate word on casualties but hospital officials said strikes the night before killed at least three people.

          Insurgents also killed one U.S. soldier by firing on positions near the city.

          U.S. troops sealed all roads to Falluja and urged women, children and non-fighting age men to flee, but said they would arrest any man under 45 trying to enter or leave the city.

          Most of the Sunni Muslim city's 300,000 people have already fled after weeks of intensive air and ground bombardments.

          A bloody offensive would further anger Iraqis and threaten the poll that has been set for Jan. 27, Annan warned in letters to President Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi.

          Allawi and his U.S.-led backers say Falluja is the center of the insurgency in Iraq whose capture is crucial to ensuring the election goes ahead on time and is free and fair.

          Annan's comments highlight longstanding differences with Washington over how best to restore peace in Iraq.

          "The threat or actual use of force not only risks deepening the sense of alienation of certain communities, but would also reinforce perceptions among the Iraqi population of a continued military occupation," he wrote in the letters, seen by Reuters.

          He said now was the time to boost efforts "to break the cycle of violence and open a new chapter of inclusiveness and national reconciliation."

          'IT WILL BE SOON'

          But his appeal won little response as U.S. warplanes and artillery continued to bomb Falluja, 30 miles west of Baghdad.

          "We are making last preparations (to attack). It will be soon. We are just awaiting orders from Prime Minister Allawi," Marine Corps Colonel Michael Shupp told Reuters near Falluja.

          Allawi met European Union leaders in Brussels on Friday and was expected to return to Iraq after that.

          He secured a modest $21 million package from the bloc to support the elections and to help fund a possible U.N. protection force for the voting.

          The United States and Britain hope a successful election will help defuse the increasingly bloody insurgency that has blighted their success in toppling Saddam Hussein last year.

          The United Nations, cautious about committing foreign staff since 22 people died when its Baghdad headquarters were bombed in 2003, plans to field up to 25 election staff soon.

          "We will provide adequate resources to get our work done," Annan told reporters.

          The U.S. military says about 1,000 to 6,000 Saddam loyalists and militants led by Jordanian al Qaeda ally Abu Musab al-Zarqawi are holed up in Falluja.

          Zarqawi's fighters have claimed responsibility for hostage beheadings and some of Iraq's bloodiest bombings.

          His group urged other militants holding an Iraqi-British woman hostage, aid worker Margaret Hassan, to free her unless she was a spy, a message posted on an Islamic Web site said.

          The U.S. military says the assault on Falluja will succeed where an April one failed because this time it will be ordered by an Iraqi government and Iraqi forces will be involved. In April, Iraqi units refused to fight with U.S. troops.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Nation likely to be 3rd largest trading power

           

             
           

          Nutritional imbalance plagues people

           

             
           

          Mine blast kills 33, injures 6 in Henan

           

             
           

          Coal mining: Most deadly job in China

           

             
           

          Shen and Zhao win Cup of China

           

             
           

          Consumer price remains stable in October

           

             
            Police lose control of Mosul amid uprising
             
            Arafat buried in Chaotic scenes in West Bank
             
            U.S. may use Iraq meeting to engage Iran
             
            Bush vows second-term push for Palestinian state
             
            Dutch to withdraw troops from Iraq in March
             
            Haiti PM orders arrest warrant against Aristide
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩精品一区二区三区色| 亚洲午夜成人精品电影在线观看| 精品偷拍一区二区三区在| 国色天香中文字幕在线视频| 久久这里只精品国产2| 国产亚洲无日韩乱码| 女同亚洲精品一区二区三| 日本精品不卡一二三区| 四虎成人精品在永久免费| 国产精品一区二区人人爽| 欧美成人综合视频| 国产老熟女视频一区二区| 中文无码日韩欧免费视频| 国产精品国产精品偷麻豆| 精品无码一区二区三区电影| 国产高清一区在线观看| 中文字幕日韩有码国产| 国产成人亚洲精品无码青APP | 一二三三免费观看视频| 欧美成年黄网站色视频| 91蜜臀国产自产在线观看| 亚洲欧美中文日韩v在线97| 天天插天天干天天操| 极品粉嫩小泬无遮挡20p| 在线中文字幕精品第5页| 久久日韩精品一区二区五区| 隔壁老王国产在线精品| 拔萝卜视频播放在线观看免费| 麻豆亚洲精品一区二区| 亚洲中文字幕永久在线全国| 国产老妇伦国产熟女老妇高清| 亚洲欧美日韩另类| 日本视频一区二区三区1| 亚洲乱码一卡二卡卡3卡4卡| 日韩乱码视频一区二区三区| 91网站在线看| 99热久久这里只有精品| 精品国产女同疯狂摩擦2| 青草热在线观看精品视频| 中文字幕日韩一区二区不卡| 日本高清在线播放一区二区三区 |