<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          U.S. forces hold 70% of Fallujah
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-11-10 15:23

          U.S. Marines said American forces had taken control Wednesday of 70 percent of Fallujah in the third day of a major offensive to retake the insurgent stronghold.

          Major Francis Piccoli, of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, said enemy fighters were bottled up in a strip of the city flanking the major east-west highway that splits Fallujah.

          Army and Marine units had pushed south to the highway overnight, Piccoli said.

          "There's going to be a movement today in those areas. The heart of the city is what's in focus now," he said.

          A tank fires a round into a building in this TV image as U.S. troops, along with Iraqi forces, powered their way into the center of the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah, Iraq, on Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2004, overwhelming small bands of guerrillas with massive force, searching homes along the city's deserted, narrow passageways and using loudspeakers to try to goad militants onto the streets. [AP]
          A tank fires a round into a building in this TV image as U.S. troops, along with Iraqi forces, powered their way into the center of the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah, Iraq, on Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2004, overwhelming small bands of guerrillas with massive force, searching homes along the city's deserted, narrow passageways and using loudspeakers to try to goad militants onto the streets. [AP]
          The military said at least 71 militants were killed in intense urban combat in the city's deserted and narrow lanes, but the number was expected to rise sharply once U.S. forces account for those killed in airstrikes.

          As of Tuesday night, 10 U.S. troops and two members of the Iraqi security force had been killed, a toll that already equaled the number of American troops who died when Marines besieged the city for three weeks in April.

          Marine reports Wednesday said 25 American troops and 16 Iraqi soldiers were wounded.

          As the American forces crossed the highway that split Fallujah, armored Army units stayed behind to guard the thoroughfare.

          The military reported no heavy fighting overnight, but a U.S. attack helicopter wiped out an insurgent rocket launcher southwest of Fallujah.

          Earlier, as many as eight attack aircraft — including jets and helicopter gunships — blasted guerrilla strongholds and raked the streets with rocket, cannon and machine-gun fire ahead of U.S. and Iraqi infantry who were advancing only one or two blocks behind the curtain of fire.

          Small groups of guerrillas, armed with rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and machine guns, engaged U.S. troops, then fell back. U.S. troops inspected houses along Fallujah's streets and ran across adjoining alleyways, mindful of snipers.

          A psychological operations unit broadcast announcements in Arabic meant to draw out gunmen. An Iraqi translator from the group said through a loudspeaker: "Brave terrorists, I am waiting here for the brave terrorists. Come and kill us. Plant small bombs on roadsides. Attention, attention, terrorists of Fallujah."

          Faced with overwhelming force, resistance in Fallujah did not appear as fierce as expected, though the top U.S. commander in Iraq said he still expected "several more days of tough urban fighting" as insurgents fell back toward the southern end of the city, perhaps for a last stand.

          Some U.S. military officers estimated they controlled about a third of the city. Commanders said they had not fully secured the northern half of Fallujah but were well on their way as American and Iraqi troops searched for insurgents.

          U.S. and Iraqi troops captured two key landmarks Tuesday — a mosque and neighboring convention center that insurgents used for launching attacks, according to a Los Angeles Times reporter embedded with U.S. forces.

          "I'm surprised how quickly (resistance) broke and how quickly they ran away, a force of foreign fighters who were supposed to fight to the death," Lt. Col. Pete Newell, a battalion commander in the 1st Infantry Division, told CNN.

          Newell was quoted on CNN's Web site as saying his battalion had killed or wounded 85 to 90 insurgents.

          The move against Fallujah prompted influential Sunni Muslim clerics to call for a boycott of national elections set for January. A widespread boycott among Sunnis could wreck the legitimacy of the elections, seen as vital in Iraq's move to democracy. U.S. commanders have said the Fallujah invasion is the centerpiece of an attempt to secure insurgent-held areas so voting can be held.

          Prime Minister Ayad Allawi declared a nighttime curfew in Baghdad and its surroundings — the first in the capital for a year — to prevent insurgents from opening up a "second front" to try to draw American forces away from Fallujah. Clashes erupted in the northern city of Mosul and near the Sunni bastion of Ramadi, explosions were reported in at least two cities and masked militants brandished weapons and warned merchants to close their shops.

          In Fallujah, U.S. troops were advancing more rapidly than in April, when insurgents fought a force of fewer than 2,000 Marines to a standstill in a three-week siege. It ended with the Americans handing over the city to a local force, which lost control to Islamic militants.

          This time, the U.S. military has sent up to 15,000 U.S. and Iraqi troops into the battle, backed by tanks, artillery and attack aircraft. More than 24 hours after launching the main attack, U.S. soldiers and Marines had punched through insurgent strongholds in the north and east of Fallujah and reached the major east-west highway that bisects the city.

          "The enemy is fighting hard but not to the death," Lt. Gen. Thomas Metz, the multinational ground force commander in Iraq, told a Pentagon news conference relayed by video from Iraq. "There is not a sense that he is staying in particular places. He is continuing to fall back or he dies in those positions."

          Metz said Iraqi soldiers searched several mosques Tuesday and found "lots of munitions and weapons."

          Although capturing or killing the senior insurgent leadership is a goal of the operation, Metz said he believed the most wanted man in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, had escaped Fallujah.

          It was unclear how many insurgents stayed in the city for the fight, given months of warnings by U.S. officials and Iraqis that a confrontation was in the offing.

          Metz said troops have captured a very small number of insurgent fighters and "imposed significant casualties against the enemy."

          Before the major ground assault that began Monday night, the U.S. military reported 42 insurgents killed. Fallujah doctors reported 12 people dead. Since then, there has been no specific information on Iraqi death tolls.

          The latest American deaths included two killed by mortars near Mosul and 11 others who died Monday, most of them as guerrillas launched a wave of attacks in Baghdad and southwest of Fallujah. It was unclear how many of those died in the Fallujah offensive, but the 11 deaths were among the highest for a single day since last spring.

          But the toll in Fallujah could have been higher. Early Tuesday, a helicopter gunship destroyed a multiple rocket launcher aimed at the main American camp outside of the city.

          "That saved our lives," Col. Michael Formica, commander of the 1st Cavalry Division's 2nd Brigade, told the crew. "We have no idea how many soldiers here were saved by your good work."

          U.S. commanders said the operation was running on or ahead of schedule, and Iraqi officials designated an Iraqi general to run the city once resistance is broken.

          However, the American command said the insurgents were massing in the southern half of the city, from which U.S. troops were receiving mortar fire. Some U.S. units were reported advancing south of the main highway but not in strength.

          Formica said the security cordon around the city will be tightened to ensure insurgents don't slip out.

          "My concern now is only one — not to allow any enemy to escape. As we tighten the noose around him, he will move to escape to fight another day. I do not want these guys to get out of here. I want them killed or captured as they flee," Formica said.

          U.S. officials said few people were attempting to flee the city, either because most civilians had already left or because they were complying with a round-the-clock curfew. A funeral procession, however, was allowed to leave, officials said.

          Anger over the assault grew among Iraq's Sunni minority, and international groups and the Russian government warned that military action could undermine elections in January. The U.N. refugee agency expressed fears over civilians' safety.

          The Sunni clerics' Association of Muslim Scholars called for a boycott of the elections. The association's director, Harith al-Dhari, said the Sunnis could not take part in an election held "over the corpses of those killed in Fallujah."

          The call is expected to have little resonance within the rival Shiite Muslim community, which forms about 60 percent of Iraq's 26 million people.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Nation likely to be 3rd largest trading power

           

             
           

          Nutritional imbalance plagues people

           

             
           

          Mine blast kills 33, injures 6 in Henan

           

             
           

          Coal mining: Most deadly job in China

           

             
           

          Shen and Zhao win Cup of China

           

             
           

          Consumer price remains stable in October

           

             
            Police lose control of Mosul amid uprising
             
            Arafat buried in Chaotic scenes in West Bank
             
            U.S. may use Iraq meeting to engage Iran
             
            Bush vows second-term push for Palestinian state
             
            Dutch to withdraw troops from Iraq in March
             
            Haiti PM orders arrest warrant against Aristide
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          US forces push into Fallujah; 10 GIs killed
             
          US-led forces advance towards heart of Falluja
             
          U.S. helicopter shot down in Falluja - witness
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 人人妻人人做人人爽夜欢视频 | 国产精品久久久久aaaa| 亚洲人妻中文字幕一区| 无码国产精成人午夜视频一区二区 | 国产乱人激情H在线观看| 亚洲熟妇激情视频99| 亚洲熟女精品一区二区| 亚洲av噜噜一区二区| 人妻系列中文字幕精品| 中国小帅男男 gay xnxx| 亚洲国产成人久久精品不卡| 色伦专区97中文字幕| 中国少妇人妻xxxxx| 亚洲天堂av在线一区| 人人澡人人妻人人爽人人蜜桃| 国产视频区一区二区三| 亚洲偷自拍国综合| 欧美产精品一线二线三线| 中文字幕日韩有码国产| 国产理论片在线观看| 国产亚洲无线码一区二区| 亚洲中文字幕系列第1页| 亚洲区一区二区三区精品| AVtt手机版天堂网国产| 香蕉乱码成人久久天堂爱| 高清性欧美暴力猛交| 18禁无遮挡啪啪无码网站| 亚洲亚洲人成综合网络| 国产一区二区亚洲一区二区三区 | 国产精品天干天干综合网| 国产色婷婷免费视频| 啦啦啦视频在线日韩精品| 国产精品一区二区久久沈樵| 91久久夜色精品国产网站| 亚洲欧美一区二区三区图片| 国产精品任我爽爆在线播放6080| 亚洲熟妇自偷自拍另类| 色噜噜亚洲黑人www视频| 717午夜伦伦电影理论片| 老太大性另类xxxⅹ| 97久久超碰亚洲视觉盛宴|