<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Tsunami aid near $4b, summit to open
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-06 08:04

          World leaders gathered in Jakarta for an emergency summit with the United Nations saying aid pledges since the Asian tsunami disaster were near four billion dollars as the International Monetary Fund offered US$1 billion in aid.

          Almas, a twelve-year-old Indian girl, rests at her relatives' house in Port Blair January 5, 2005 after she was rescued by soldiers on Monday on the remote Indian island of Nacowrie in the southern part of the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago. Almas said that her parents and sister were swept away by the killer waves December 26.
          Almas, a twelve-year-old Indian girl, rests at her relatives' house in Port Blair January 5, 2005 after she was rescued by soldiers on Monday on the remote Indian island of Nacowrie in the southern part of the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago. Almas said that her parents and sister were swept away by the killer waves December 26. [Reuters]
          Nearly 150,000 people have been confirmed dead in the four hardest hit nations -- Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

          "We are recording now pledges between three and four billion dollars," said Jan Egeland, the UN's emergency relief coordinator in New York. "It is indeed the world coming together in a manner we've never, ever seen before."

          U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan (L) arrives at the Jakarta Convention Centre where a tsunami summit is being held in Jakarta on January 6, 2005. Global leaders are gathering in Jakarta to discuss the tsunami that devastated countries around the Indian Ocean. [Reuters]
          U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan (L) arrives at the Jakarta Convention Centre where a tsunami summit is being held in Jakarta on January 6, 2005. Global leaders are gathering in Jakarta to discuss the tsunami that devastated countries around the Indian Ocean. [Reuters]
          His announcement came after what he called "just incredible" pledges from Australia (US$764 million) and Germany (US$668 million).

          He said it was barely possible to keep track of all the money coming in, and hoped the UN coordination of the relief would show "that we could and we did what we're put (here) to do by the community of nations."

          International Monetary Fund director general Rodrigo Rato said separately: "The IMF stands ready to provide financial assistance to affected countries, in the first instance through our Emergency Natural Disaster Assistance facility.

          "This financing, which could be on the order of one billion dollars US for the most affected countries, could be made available quickly and without an IMF program," Rato said.

          In Japan, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Hosoda, the government spokesman, suggested Tokyo might also give more than 500 million dollars it has already promised, noting that damage was greater than first estimated.

          Earlier US Secretary of State Colin Powell visiting Banda Aceh, capital of Indonesia's Aceh province, said Wednesday that the tsunamis had been more devastating than anything he had ever seen.

          Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (L) greets Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao for a meeting at the Presidential palace in Jakarta, January 5, 2005. Global leaders gathering in Jakarta to discuss the tsunami that devastated countries around the Indian Ocean will try to draw lesson from disaster, including looking at a future warning system.
          Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (L) greets Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao for a meeting at the Presidential palace in Jakarta, January 5, 2005. Global leaders gathering in Jakarta to discuss the tsunami that devastated countries around the Indian Ocean will try to draw lesson from disaster, including looking at a future warning system. [Reuters]
          Powell toured Aceh a day ahead of the Jakarta summit with donations for victims of the December 26 disaster, which hit 11 Indian Ocean nations, mounting fast.

          On a helicopter tour of Aceh where whole villages were swept away by the tsunami triggered by a powerful underwater earthquake off Sumatra, Powell said he gained a better grasp of the needs of countries hit by the tragedy.

          "In the course of my career I've been in war and I've been through a number of hurricanes, tornadoes and other relief operations but I have never seen anything like this," the soldier turned diplomat told reporters.

          "I cannot begin to imagine the horror that went through the families and all of the people who heard this noise coming and then had their lives snuffed out by these waves," he said.

          An array of US warships, planes and helicopters, along with 13,000 military personnel, have been sent to the Indian Ocean, with the effort credited with bringing food and water to many stricken people.

          Australia announced a massive one billion Australian dollars (764 million US) aid package for Indonesia, while German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder pledged a whopping 500 million euros (668 million dollars) for tsunami-ravaged nations.

          The twin pledges made Australia and Germany the world's top two contributors, well ahead of Japan and the United States, which have confirmed donations of 500 million dollars and 350 million dollars respectively.

          "It will involve the largest single aid package in Australia's history, one billion Australian dollars," Prime Minister John Howard said in Jakarta.

          Howard was due to attend the emergency one-day summit Thursday along with Powell, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi and the leaders of China, the European Union and fellow Southeast Asian nations.

          The tsunamis in the politically strategic region have been unprecedented in the number of nations affected, with 52 countries reporting dead or missing citizens.

          North Korea on Wednesday donated 150,000 dollars to the fast-growing pool of cash to feed, clothe and rehabilitate tsunami victims.

          But survivors were not always receiving what they needed. The worst-hit district in south India told aid agencies to halt oversupply of cooked food, old clothes and water containers.

          Sri Lanka, the second hardest-hit country with more than 30,000 dead, sounded a more upbeat note, with its disaster management chief saying the country was now on top of the crisis, despite up to 25 percent of those affected yet to be reached by relief workers.

          "I think we're on top of the disaster," Tara de Mel, director of the government's Centre for National Operations, told AFP. "We at least know where the gaps are and what to do to fill those gaps."

          Helicopters airdropped food and medical supplies to the eastern seaboard of the battered island.

          In neighbouring India's remote Andaman and Nicobar islands, which were close to the subsea quake's epicentre, rescuers using heavy equipment shifted mountains of debris in an effort to find bodies.

          The number of people killed in the tsunamis edged up Wednesday towards 146,000, with Indonesia confirming 94,200 deaths and 6,700 still missing, as decomposing bodies were still being found along ravaged shorelines.

          Europe, which suffered hundreds if not thousands of fatalities in the disaster, fell silent for three minutes to pay tribute to the victims, with flags flying at half mast across the continent.

          At least 2,510 foreigners died in Thailand when its packed beaches were submerged the day after Christmas by the giant waves.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Wen: We'll give more and keep promises

           

             
           

          Beijing greets 1.3 billionth mainland baby

           

             
           

          China targets 15% money supply growth

           

             
           

          Alert on charity scam while lending a hand

           

             
           

          North Korea issues wartime guidelines

           

             
           

          Suicide car bombings kill 25 in Iraq

           

             
            Tsunami aid near $4b, summit to open
             
            US democrat lays out case against Bush's Ohio win
             
            Suicide car bombings kill 25 in Iraq
             
            U.S. wants North Korea reply on nuke talks by February
             
            Ukraine's court considers Yanukovych appeal
             
            Bush personally gives $10K in tsunami aid
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 疯狂做受XXXX高潮国产| 亚洲精品成人片在线观看精品字幕| 视频女同久久久一区二区三区| 性欧美videofree高清精品| 最新亚洲人成网站在线影院| 一本一本久久a久久精品综合| 日本一码二码三码的区分| 手机精品视频在线观看免费| 综合色综合色综合色综合| 日韩成人一区二区三区在线观看 | 天堂在线最新版在线天堂| 偷窥盗摄国产在线视频| 污网站在线观看视频| 久久国产福利播放| 日日碰狠狠添天天爽| 鲁丝片一区二区三区免费| 成年午夜精品久久精品| 国产精品系列在线免费看| 人人妻人人做人人爽| 成人无码区免费视频网站| 国产成人无码免费视频麻豆| 亚洲欧洲精品日韩av| 99无码中文字幕视频| 国产国拍精品av在线观看| 色伦专区97中文字幕| 网友自拍人妻一区二区三区三州| 日韩精品人妻黄色一级片| 国产精品人妻熟女男人的天堂| 成在线人午夜剧场免费无码| 精品无码国产日韩制服丝袜| 97无码人妻福利免费公开在线视频| 国产精品丝袜在线不卡| 亚洲欧美日韩愉拍自拍美利坚| 不卡午夜视频| 久久精品国产亚洲av麻豆不卡| 亚洲国产午夜精品福利| 激情综合色区网激情五月| 疯狂做受xxxx高潮欧美日本| 日韩精品成人区中文字幕| 精品国产熟女一区二区三区| 91青青草视频在线观看|