<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Asia tsunami death toll passes 150,000
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-08 17:32

          Two weeks after a tsunami slammed into coastlines around the Indian Ocean, thousands of bodies were still being pulled out of the mud in remote villages, as the official death toll from the catastrophe rose above 150,000.

          Tsunami survivors pass damaged fishing boats in Nagapattinam, 350 km (219 miles) south of the Indian city of Madras January 7, 2005. [Reuters]
          In a rare positive note, the World Health Organization said no major disease outbreaks have been reported in the crowded camps where millions have sought refuge after losing everything.

          "It is normal after a catastrophe like this nature to have some disease, but they are under control," WHO Director-General Dr. Lee Jong-wook said in Sri Lanka. The U.N. agency has warned that disease could put as many as 150,000 survivors "at extreme risk" — doubling the disaster's toll.

          In Sri Lanka on Saturday, U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan toured the coastal city of Hambantota, where hundreds of shoppers at an outdoor market were swept to their deaths when the massive waves hit on Dec. 26. The U.N. chief told reporters he was formulating ideas on how to respond to the disaster.

          Sir Lanka, where more than 30,000 people were killed and 800,000 are homeless, was the second stop on Annan's tour of nations afflicted by the worst natural calamity in modern times.

          "I have never seen such utter destruction mile after mile," he said after a helicopter flight Friday over the western coast of Indonesia's Sumatra island. "You wonder where are the people? What has happened to them?"

          Indonesia on Saturday raised its estimated death toll by more than 2,700 to 104,055, pushing the overall count to 150,578. Indonesia's toll has risen sharply in recent days as teams of rescuers recover bodies from previously inaccessible regions, many on the western coast of northern Sumatra, close to the epicenter of the magnitude-9.0 quake.

          Indonesia's Ministry of Social Affairs also raised its number of those left homeless by more than 100,000 to 655,000.

          The toll of those missing was on the rise as well: close to 5,000 in Sri Lanka and 10,000 in Indonesia. Officials said some people trying to find loved ones were only now reporting them as missing.

          "First the people tried to find them among the dead, then went around the hospitals. Now they are coming to us," said K.G. Wijesiri at Sri Lanka's National Disaster Management Center.
          U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan is escorted by Indonesian soldiers as he arrives at an airport in the tsunami-hit city of Banda Aceh on the Indonesian island of Sumatra January 7, 2005. [Reuters]

          World governments, led by Australia and Germany, have pledged nearly $4 billion in aid — the biggest ever relief package. The world's richest nations have also agreed that debt repayments for tsunami-devastated countries should be frozen, Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown said. The seven leading industrial nations, or G-7, will seek agreement from all creditors at the next meeting of the Paris Club on Wednesday.

          Coordinating the aid was becoming a challenge, with some humanitarian groups in Indonesia's hard-hit Aceh province saying that the stream of dignitaries flying into the tiny airport was hampering aid deliveries.

          "It slows things down," said Maj. Murad Khan, a spokesman for Pakistan's Tsunami Relief Task Force. A 220-person team of Pakistani military doctors and civilian engineers was rerouted to the east Sumatran city of Medan, where they hired trucks to make the 15-hour drive to Banda Aceh — only to be turned back by the Indonesian army.

          "In Medan we were hearing that (Secretary of State) Colin Powell was there and that's why we couldn't get here," Khan said.

          Singapore, for its part, flew a mobile air traffic control tower to Banda Aceh's airport to help speed up deliveries of emergency supplies.

          Around the devastated Indonesian town of Lhok Nga, convoys of trucks were dumping debris and rubble from the town in a previously upscale neighborhood and soldiers continued to pick through the wreckage hunting for bodies. An elephant also was helping move the debris.

          Rice farmer Mohamed Amin, 45, was walking along the road with his wife and one of his daughters with sacks of rice and noodles on their heads — after traveling for three days on foot from their shattered village to pick up food. They said there was nowhere for relief helicopters to land in their village.

          Near the road a huge barge, about the size of a football field, was lying on its side 500 feet from the coast. Close to it were tugs that apparently were pulling it when the wave struck.

          On the road along the Sumatran coast, dozens of Indonesian soldiers were heading to a military base amid fears that Aceh rebels could get their hands on weapons left there as soldiers fled from the tsunami. Rebels have been fighting since 1976 for an independent homeland in Aceh, leaving thousands dead.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Asia tsunami death toll passes 150,000

           

             
           

          Indonesia praises Chinese aid, commitment

           

             
           

          US relaxes visa requirements for biz, tourism

           

             
           

          Koizumi's party calls for continued shrine visit

           

             
           

          Beijing population tops 15 million

           

             
           

          No change for residential power prices

           

             
            Death toll from tsunami climbs to 147,000
             
            7,000 more bodies discovered in Indonesia
             
            Italy train crash kills about 10 - Police
             
            Eight die, 240 hurt in US train crash
             
            Annan horrified by destruction
             
            Iraq's Allawi warns of more violence
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日本国产亚洲一区二区| 精品系列无码一区二区三区| 国产成人午夜福利在线观看 | 无码高潮少妇毛多水多水免费| 色综合人人超人人超级国碰| 成全我在线观看免费第二季| 国产啪视频免费观看视频| 欧美精品在线观看视频| 精品 日韩 国产 欧美 视频 | 青青草视频华人绿色在线| 国产午夜A理论毛片| 亚洲大尺度视频在线播放| 国产草草影院ccyycom| 亚洲 欧洲 自拍 另类 校园| 国产一区二区三区精品片| 伊人久久大香线蕉网av| 欧美国产日韩在线三区| 国产精品无码午夜福利| 精品素人AV无码不卡在线观看| 精品午夜福利在线观看| 爱豆传媒md0181在线观看| 在线 欧美 中文 亚洲 精品| 欧美成人免费看片一区| 久热伊人精品国产中文| 一面上边一面膜下边的免费| 亚洲人成电影网站 久久影视| 国产成人精品日本亚洲第一区 | 成人亚洲精品一区二区三区| 无码人妻aⅴ一区二区三区有奶水| 一区二区三区四区精品黄| 久久成人国产精品免费软件| 大又大又粗又硬又爽少妇毛片| 欧美精品亚洲精品日韩专| 国产免费播放一区二区三区| 日韩精品永久免费播放平台| 色优久久久久综合网鬼色| 天天拍夜夜添久久精品大| 99国产亚洲精品美女久久久久| 国产精品普通话国语对白露脸| 妇女自拍偷自拍亚洲精品| 欧美和黑人xxxx猛交视频|