<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US bomb error kills at least 5 in Iraq
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-09 08:28

          The United States military said it dropped a 500-pound bomb on the wrong house outside the northern city of Mosul on Saturday, killing five people. The man who owned the house said the bomb killed 14 people, and an Associated Press photographer said seven of them were children.


          An Iraqi boy finds his way among the rubble of a destroyed house following an overnight air strike in a village near the city of Mosul, January 8, 2005. A U.S. warplane mistakenly bombed the house in northern Iraq on Saturday, killing several people in an attack likely to inflame anti-American anger ahead of controversial elections due at the end of the month. [Reuters]
          The strike in the town of Aitha, 30 miles south of Mosul, came hours before a senior U.S. Embassy official in Iraq met with leaders of the Sunni Arab community to apply political pressure against their threat to boycott Jan. 30 elections. The Arab satellite broadcaster al-Jazeera said the Sunnis asked the Americans to announce a timetable for a U.S. troop withdrawal.

          Violence also continued, with at least eight Iraqis killed.

          American officials repeatedly have insisted the vote go ahead, but it is an extremely delicate time, with Iraq's government perceived by many as closely tied to the U.S.-led coalition.

          Late Saturday, a U.S. military statement said an F-16 jet dropped a 500-pound GPS-guided bomb on a house that was meant to be searched during an operation to capture "an anti-Iraqi force cell leader."

          "The house was not the intended target for the airstrike. The intended target was another location nearby," the military said in a statement.

          The homeowner, Ali Yousef, told Associated Press Television News that the airstrike happened at about 2:30 a.m., and American troops immediately surrounded the area, blocking access for four hours. The brick house was reduced to a pile of rubble, according to an Associated Press photographer at the scene.

          An Associated Press photographer said from the scene that 14 members of the same family — seven children, four women and three men — were killed, and six people were wounded, including another child in the house and five people from neighboring houses. By evening, all 14 victims had been buried in a nearby cemetery, Yousef said.

          The U.S. military statement said coalition forces went to the area to provide assistance and said five people were killed. It said there was no other damage.

          "Multi-National Force Iraq deeply regrets the loss of possibly innocent lives," the statement said, adding that an investigation was underway.

          American troops recently sent more troops to Mosul, which has seen heavy clashes in recent weeks between insurgents and American forces. U.S. officials acknowledge the area is still too unsafe for the elections to take place there safely.

          The election is the first democratic vote in Iraq since the country was formed in 1932, and the Sunnis are certain to lose their dominance to the Shiites, who comprise 60 percent of Iraq's 26 million people. Sunni leaders have urged the vote be postponed, largely because areas of Iraq where they dominate are far too restive for preparations to begin.

          In particular, the Association of Muslim Scholars, a powerful Sunni Muslim group, has demanded the vote be put off and threatened a boycott. On Saturday, a senior embassy official met in Baghdad with members of the group, U.S. Embassy spokesman Bob Callahan said. He described the surprise meeting as an "exchange of views."

          "A senior officer in the embassy met with them to discuss how participation would benefit the Sunni community," Callahan said.

          He would not identify the American official who participated, but he said it was not Ambassador John Negroponte.

          Earlier, al-Jazeera reported that the Americans met with Harith al-Dhari, the association's general secretary, and several others. It reported that al-Dhari asked the United States to announce a timetable for withdrawing its forces from Iraq.

          Callahan would not say if that was discussed, but it is unlikely the United States would consider such a request. In Washington, President Bush expressed optimism Friday about the Jan. 30 elections, saying they will be "an incredibly hopeful experience," despite rising violence and doubts that the vote will bring stability and democracy.

          Authorities in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit said Saturday that gunmen abducted a deputy governor of a central Iraqi province and two other senior Sunni officials after they met with Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iraq's most prominent Shiite leader, in the holy city of Najaf to discuss the elections. A fourth person also was abducted.

          The officials were kidnapped about 40 miles south of Baghdad on Friday. The area is in the so-called "triangle of death," a string of Sunni-controlled towns that has been the scene of frequent attacks.

          The U.S. military said the delegation was traveling in two cars, one of which escaped the ambush.

          "Those insurgents and terrorists who intimidate and resort to kidnapping public officials are the true enemies of the Iraqi people," U.S. military spokesman Maj. Neal O'Brien said.

          A Shiite Muslim cleric close to al-Sistani said the kidnappings of Tikrit's deputy governor and three other officials meant to "prevent any contacts" between Sunni Muslims and Shiite Muslims. The insurgents are believed to be primarily Sunni.

          "They don't want to see a delegation from Tikrit visiting a Shiite religious leader," Jalaludine al-Saghir said.

          At least eight more people were killed in ambushes and attacks, capping a brutal week of assassinations, suicide car bombings and other assaults. The attacks killed about 100 people, mostly Iraqi security troops, who are seen by the militants as collaborators with the American occupiers.

          Iraq's insurgents repeatedly have targeted police and security forces, which tend to be poorly armed and less trained than their American counterparts, resulting in higher casualty counts.

          A State Department report to Congress this week said despite "considerable progress" in recent months, the performance of Iraqi security forces has been mixed.

          While overall capabilities have improved, "recent insurgent activity has tested Iraqi security forces and their efforts to develop and perform."

          In other violence, insurgents in Baqouba beheaded a translator working with the U.S. Army, police said Saturday. An Iraqi policeman was killed by masked gunmen as he left his house in Baghdad's southern Dora neighborhood.

          A booby-trapped car exploded Saturday at a gas station in Mahaweel, about 35 miles south of Baghdad, killing two people and wounding 19, including two critically, said Dr. Mohemmed Dhia, head of Hilla Surgical hospital.

          In Baghdad's western Khadraa neighborhood, gunmen shot dead Abboud Khalaf al-Lahibi, deputy secretary-general of the National Front for Iraqi tribes — a group representing several Iraqi tribes, said his aide, Ibrahim al-Farhan. A bodyguard was killed and three others also were wounded, he said.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Kofi Annan: 'I have never seen such utter destruction'

           

             
           

          Wen urges Shenzhen to speed up growth

           

             
           

          People's donation via Red Cross tops ¥100m

           

             
           

          CBRC issues risk management regulations

           

             
           

          Asia tsunami death toll passes 150,000

           

             
           

          Children taller than those of a decade ago

           

             
            Kofi Annan: 'I have never seen such utter destruction'
             
            Militants kidnap 3 senior Iraqi officials
             
            Death toll in Italian train crash rises to 14
             
            Large explosion hits western Baghdad - witnesses
             
            Asia tsunami death toll passes 150,000
             
            General warns of 'spectacular' Iraq plots
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲AV永久纯肉无码精品动漫| 99在线国产| 亚洲午夜精品国产电影在线观看| 亚洲欧美人成网站在线观看看| 国厂精品114福利电影免费| 本免费Av无码专区一区| 国产亚洲精品久久久久久大师| 国产成人高清精品免费软件| 亚洲精品成人综合色在线| 亚洲美免无码中文字幕在线| 国产亚洲欧洲AⅤ综合一区| 国产一级片在线播放| 亚洲av尤物一区二区| 国产成人毛片无码视频软件| 中文字幕少妇人妻精品| 色一伦一情一区二区三区| 欧洲尺码日本尺码专线美国又 | 激情综合五月丁香亚洲| 精品国产久一区二区三区| 久久精品免视看国产成人| 东京热一精品无码av| 国产精品黄色精品黄色大片| 99久热在线精品视频| 日韩精品一区二区三区激情| 精品国产亚洲区久久露脸| 日韩av中文字幕有码| julia无码中文字幕一区| 天天综合天天做天天综合| 污网站在线观看视频| 久视频久免费视频久免费| 久久亚洲精品情侣| 综合色一色综合久久网| xxxxbbbb欧美残疾人| 成午夜精品一区二区三区| 亚洲av成人午夜电影在线观看| 亚洲区综合区小说区激情区| 亚洲国产午夜福利精品| 国产精品中文字幕二区| 中文字幕乱码一区二区免费| 国产福利深夜在线播放| 国产99视频精品免费视频36|