<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          UN says fewer tsunami orphans than feared
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-15 14:03

          The head of the U.N. Children's Fund said there were probably fewer orphans than originally thought in Asia's tsunami-hit areas, and efforts should be directed toward uniting children with family members.

          Carol Bellamy, executive director of UNICEF, spoke just hours after the U.N. agency spoke of reports that Sri Lanka's Tamil Tigers were recruiting children displaced by the tsunami and said it had told the rebels to leave under-age survivors alone.

          Tsunami survivors walk among debris from the quake-triggered tsunami in Banda Aceh on the Indonesian island of Sumatra on January 14, 2005. Aid agencies have prevented diseases spreading through Indonesia's tsunami-stricken Aceh, but the threat remained strong, the United Nations (news - web sites) said as doctors reported children dying from pneumonia. (Kimimasa Mayama/Reuters)
          Tsunami survivors walk among debris from the quake-triggered tsunami in Banda Aceh on the Indonesian island of Sumatra on January 14, 2005. Aid agencies have prevented diseases spreading through Indonesia's tsunami-stricken Aceh, but the threat remained strong, the United Nations said as doctors reported children dying from pneumonia.[Reuters]
          Indonesia found almost 4,000 more bodies, taking the global death toll from the disaster to more than 162,000 with searches completed in areas most damaged by the Dec. 26 tsunami.

          But life was starting to return to normal in towns and villages on battered Indian Ocean coasts with markets reopening and fishermen casting their nets again.

          U.N. officials said the threat of disease to survivors had diminished but doctors reported children were dying from pneumonia. Health workers said they remained on guard.

          Of those killed in the earthquake and tidal wave that swept through south Asia and northeast Africa, half were children, according to Jan Egeland, the U.N. emergency relief coordinator.

          A very large number of child survivors were believed to have been orphaned, but UNICEF's Bellamy said in New York on Friday new data suggested that initial estimates had been exaggerated.

          As an example, she said that an agency in Sri Lanka, which works with UNICEF, had preliminary data on some 3,000 children they have reviewed.

          Of this group 836 had lost both parents but had an extended family, and 38 seemed to be totally unaccompanied.

          "So the numbers are big, but the numbers seemingly with no one are going to be quite small," Bellamy told a news conference.

          MISLEADING

          "This rush to judgment is quite misleading," she added.

          "We are advocating first that children get returned to their own parents. Secondly, if not their own parents that they are reunited as appropriate with members of the extended family."

          UNICEF's Sri Lankan representative spoke on Friday of reports that the Tamil Tigers had recruited three children in Sri Lanka's east, where the rebels control large pockets of jungle.

          "Recruitment ... was an issue before the tsunami. It's an issue that continues to be of concern," Ted Chaiban told Reuters in an interview.

          "We know of three cases of reported under-age recruitment that took place in the east," said Chaiban.

          "We said (to the rebels) ... you send out instructions that no child that has been displaced by the tsunami should in any way be affected or harassed by any person."

          Two of the children had been reunited with their family but a 15-year-old girl was still missing from a camp for the homeless, said Chaiban.

          "She was seen speaking to (rebel) cadres. She is no longer in the camp. The grandmother came and reported the case to us," Chaiban said. "We will be advocating strongly for her release."

          REBEL DENIAL

          The rebels deny recruiting children, saying many youngsters lie about their age to join the group.

          The Tigers relied heavily on child soldiers during a bloody two-decade war for autonomy, a conflict which has been in limbo for three years due to a cease-fire.

          More than 30,000 were killed by the tsunami in Sri Lanka, over 15,000 in India and 5,300 in Thailand. But Indonesia was worst hit with at least 110,000 deaths. People were also killed in Malaysia, the Maldives, Bangladesh, Myanmar and East Africa.

          U.N. staff said there was no sign of diseases breaking out.

          "There are no alarm bells ringing, but we cannot slacken our efforts. The threat is still there," U.N. special coordinator Margareta Wahlstrom said in Jakarta after returning from Banda Aceh, capital of the hardest-hit area, Indonesia's Aceh province.

          But at a large hospital in Banda Aceh, Belgian pediatrician Bert Suys said: "We have actually had two children die this Wednesday night and one yesterday of severe pneumonia."

          He said he had treated at least 13 children suffering from pneumonia after swallowing dirty water.

          In Banda Aceh, an Australian army unit pumped water through a purification system.

          A 40-year-old man queuing for fresh water, who gave his name as P. Azari, said he had lost his wife and a son in the tsunami.

          Asked about the presence of foreign troops in the area -- criticized by some hardline Islamic groups -- Azari said: "We are more than happy to have foreign troops here. It's very valuable that they're doing this."

          ACEH INSURGENCY

          Oil-rich Aceh province has been the scene of a decades-long insurgency. Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla said Jakarta wanted a lasting truce with separatists in Aceh, as both sides expressed a willingness for talks to end the 28-year rebellion.

          Indonesia, nervous about a large foreign presence in the area, has sought to restrict the movement of aid workers and has asked foreign troops to leave soon.

          Australia, the United States, Singapore, Malaysia, Germany, China, Spain, Pakistan, Japan and Switzerland have troops in Aceh to help in relief operations.

          The global response to the disaster has been unprecedented.

          Governments have promised $5.5 billion in aid, with individuals and corporations pledging at least $2 billion more.

          The U.N.'s food agency said tsunami-hit countries had to flush out sea water from agricultural land immediately or risk losing large fertile areas swamped by the waves.

          The tsunami also polluted wells and irrigation systems.

          "This is a very serious problem and it is a problem that needs immediate attention," said Food and Agriculture Organization director general Jacques Diouf.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China, US talk to resolve textile disputes

           

             
           

          Olympic deadlines draw nearer

           

             
           

          Securities watchdog gets IPOs back on track

           

             
           

          First SARS vaccine trials a success

           

             
           

          Probe lands on Saturn moon; sends photos

           

             
           

          Graner convicted in Iraqi prisoner abuse

           

             
            Sharon cuts ties with Abbas over violence
             
            Graner convicted in Iraqi prisoner abuse
             
            Fifteen Iraqi guardsmen feared kidnapped
             
            US soldier jailed for murder of Iraqi teenager
             
            US tank, Iraqi bus collide, killing 6
             
            Probe sends back data from Saturn's moon
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Anti-malaria spraying begins in Aceh
             
          Macau Red Cross to collect US$4 million in tsunami donations
             
          India plants trees to act as barrier against future tsunamis
             
          Signs of recovery on shores battered by tsunami
             
          Malaria threat emerges in tsunami zone
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日本不卡不二三区在线看| 亚洲欧洲色图片网站| 四虎国产精品永久在线下载| 一个人看的www在线视频| 国产精品成人一区二区三| 制服丝袜国产精品| 久久国产精品老女人| 免费永久在线观看黄网站 | 麻豆国产高清精品国在线| 日韩淫片毛片视频免费看| 亚洲悠悠色综合中文字幕| 欧美日韩国产图片区一区| 免费国产高清在线精品一区| 国产成人免费| 无码人妻aⅴ一区二区三区蜜桃| 国产午夜亚洲精品国产成人| 成人国产精品一区二区网站 | 日本亚洲色大成网站www久久 | 99亚洲男女激情在线观看| 伊人无码一区二区三区| 国内免费视频成人精品| 免费无码一区二区三区蜜桃大| 亚洲熟妇色xxxxx亚洲| 一本精品中文字幕在线| 国产97在线 | 亚洲| 四虎库影成人在线播放| 2021中文字幕亚洲精品| 妖精视频亚州无吗高清版| 狠狠色噜噜狠狠狠狠888奇米| 久久香蕉国产亚洲av麻豆| 亚洲精品国产自在现线最新| 72种姿势欧美久久久久大黄蕉| 在线国产毛片| 免费可以在线看a∨网站| 青柠影院免费观看高清电视剧丁香| 伊人成人在线视频免费| 人妻体体内射精一区二区| 亚洲AV无码国产永久播放蜜芽| 国产精品麻豆成人AV电影艾秋 | 影音先锋大黄瓜视频| 国产高清视频在线播放www色|