<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Indonesia ups tsunami death toll by 5,000
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-16 15:06

          Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz flew over Sumatra's tsunami-devastated coast on Saturday and voiced pride in the American aid operation. But he said Washington wants to hand over relief work to Indonesia and other affected nations as soon as possible.


          U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz arrives aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln off the coast of Aceh province Indonesia, Saturday Jan 15, 2005. [AP]

          The Indonesians "have welcomed us in a way that might have been unimaginable in other circumstances," Wolfowitz said aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln anchored off the Indonesian coast.

          Indonesia increased its death toll by 5,000 on Sunday — pushing the overall number of lives lost to more than 162,000. The massive earthquake off Sumatra three weeks ago spawned huge waves that killed people in 11 countries.

          In the ongoing recovery work in Indonesias Aceh province, the United Nations (news - web sites) Development Program started paying about 3,000 tsunami survivors the equivalent of $3 a day to help with the clean up — an attempt to jumpstart the region's crippled economy.

          The U.N. refugee organization, the UNHCR, was distributing 10,000 five-person tents to survivors in the city, agency officials said, with 10,000 more expected soon.

          Efforts to keep epidemics at bay intensified, with the United Nations accelerating a measles vaccination drive after 20 cases of the disease were reported across Aceh.

          Tetanus also has been detected in 67 people, said Medecins Sans Frontieres, or Doctors Without Borders. Because the disease has an incubation period of up to 60 days, that number is expected to increase. Tetanus has a mortality rate of up to 25 percent.

          Aid workers were spraying tents and walls with insecticide to kill mosquitos and prevent malaria in areas that were swamped by the killer waves.

          More aid teams will be heading to the ravaged coastal city of Meulaboh, including doctors who will establish a mobile clinic, said Roberta Rossi, a spokeswoman for USAID.

          The United States is keen to use its big aid and recovery effort, which has included many U.S. ships and thousands of troops, to boost American standing in the Muslim world, where Indonesia is the most populous Islamic country.

          Jakarta, nevertheless, has expressed unease over the number of foreign troops and wants them out by the end of March. Wolfowitz, a former ambassador to Indonesia, said the United States respects that concern and had no intention of interfering in Indonesia's domestic affairs.

          "We don't have a plan other than to try as quickly as we can to hand over responsibility to others, and especially to the Indonesian government as they're ready to take that on," he said.

          Adding to Indonesian sensitivity, the bulk of the devastation on Sumatra Island hit Aceh Province where separatist rebels have been fighting against the central government for years.

          "Indonesians are very self-reliant people. So before long, they probably won't need the help," he said later in Banda Aceh, the provincial capital.

          After touring the damage zone, Wolfowitz declined to comment on Jakarta's demands that the United States lift a long-standing ban on selling weapons to Indonesia's military. Earlier this week, Indonesian officials argued that the country could have better responded to the disaster if its forces were better equipped.

          But human rights groups and congressional supporters of the ban say Jakarta is exploiting the disaster for political gain, and insist that the ban should remain until Indonesia addresses unresolved human rights violations.

          The ban was first imposed in 1991 when Indonesian troops gunned down unarmed protesters in East Timor, killing more than 250 people. Eight years later, the ban was tightened after Indonesian troops and their proxy militias killed 1,500 East Timorese after the half island territory voted for independence in a U.N.-sponsored independence referendum.

          Wolfowitz said the Indonesian government had the chance to quell the Aceh separatists if the reconstruction effort in the province is a success and shows the "benefit of being part of Indonesia."

          In Sri Lanka, where 31,000 died in the second highest country toll after Indonesia, a leader of the Tamil Tiger rebel movement said the government lost a chance to revive peace talks despite hopes that tsunami relief work would bring the two sides together.

          S.P. Thamilselvan, head of the political wing of the ethnic Tamil rebels who seek an independent state, said the Sinhalese-dominated government had given minimal assistance to rebel-held areas, instead channeling most international assistance to areas under its control.

          "It has dashed hopes of reconciliation," Thamilselvan told The Associated Press in an interview at his headquarters in Killinochchi.

          Norway brokered a cease-fire in February 2002, but talks aimed at ending the 20-year conflict broke down more than a year ago.

          The government has denied charges it is preventing aid from reaching rebel areas in the north and east of the island nation.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Mainland, Taiwan clinch deal on direct flights

           

             
           

          Japan maps plan to defend southern islands

           

             
           

          No expired food to tsunami-hit nations: China

           

             
           

          Japan oil firms to drill in East China Sea

           

             
           

          President Abbas sworn in, peace call clouded

           

             
           

          Chinese relief goods lands in Sri Lanka

           

             
            Experts warn of huge tremor in Nepal
             
            Japan maps plan to defend southern islands
             
            Indonesia ups tsunami death toll by 5,000
             
            Bush faces many challenges in second term
             
            No trace of Utah avalanche victims found
             
            Iraq considers new ways to protect voters
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Kofi Annan: 'I have never seen such utter destruction'
             
          Full extent of Indonesia disaster slowly revealed
             
          Death toll reaches 95,000 in Indonesia
             
          Premier Wen to join tsunami summit
             
          Aid reaches Aceh homeless on bleak New Year
             
          Tsunami kills 22,477, Taiwan tourist dies
             
          Tidal waves kill more than 2,200 in Asia
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产精品色内内在线播放| 国产免费午夜福利片在线| 人人妻人人澡人人爽欧美一区双 | 欧美黑人性暴力猛交高清 | 亚洲国产成人久久精品APP| 丰满大爆乳波霸奶| 国内精品久久人妻无码不卡| 精品一区二区不卡无码av| 一本久久a久久精品综合| gogogo在线播放中国| 精品无码av无码专区| 国产成人综合色就色综合| 亚洲色成人WWW永久在线观看| 亚洲一精品一区二区三区| 欧美亚洲h在线一区二区| 苍井空一区二区三区在线观看| 国语自产少妇精品视频蜜桃| 欧美喷潮最猛视频| 精品麻豆国产色欲色欲色欲WWW| 亚洲精品中文幕一区二区| 深夜视频国产在线观看| 国产在线一区二区在线视频| 小污女小欲女导航| 国内精品久久久久久不卡影院| 久久99国产一区二区三区| 国产绿帽在线视频看| 亚洲码欧洲码一二三四五| 亚洲天堂伊人久久a成人| 国产精品亚洲аv无码播放| 麻豆精品国产熟妇aⅴ一区| 边吻奶边挵进去gif动态图| 亚洲aⅴ天堂av在线电影| 人妻少妇精品视频三区二区| 亚洲精品岛国片在线观看| 国产精品国产三级国产专| 亚洲精品成人7777在线观看 | 国产熟睡乱子伦午夜视频| 国产精品老年自拍视频| 国产乱子影视频上线免费观看| 亚洲色大成网站WWW国产| 亚洲无av在线中文字幕|