<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Indonesia's tsunami toll rises
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-24 16:51

          The emergency relief phase is nearly over in Indonesia's tsunami-ravaged Aceh province and foreign militaries should scale back operations, the government said Sunday as it raised its death toll by 7,000.

          But four weeks after giant waves killed as many as 234,000 people across the Indian Ocean region, workers are still pulling hundreds of bodies from the mud and rubble each day and aid organizations say they are struggling to reach isolated areas.


          An Indonesian policeman and a volunteer worker carry the body of a tsunami victim past the Rahmatullah mosque which was damaged by the earthquake and tsunami in the village of Lhoknga, southwest of Banda Aceh on the Indonesian island of Sumatra January 23, 2005. [AP]

          Indonesia's Health Ministry said Sunday 173,981 people died on Sumatra island, up from 166,320. Most of the deaths occurred in Aceh province, where Indonesia's chief social welfare minister, Alwi Shihab, said civilian relief workers will now be more useful than foreign troops.

          "I think that is only logical (that they scale down), not only the Americans but the Singaporeans as well. The Singaporeans are bringing in more engineers and civilians and withdrawing military," he told reporters as he inspected preparations for a refugee relocation camp in the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.

          The U.S. military and other foreign troops have been providing the backbone of aid distribution operations on Aceh's ravaged west coast using helicopters off two aircraft carriers.

          But the presence of foreign troops, particularly the Americans, has been a sensitive issue for authorities in the world's most populous Muslim nation.

          Indonesian forces have been battling separatist rebels for decades in the gas-rich province on the western side of the Strait of Malacca shipping lane. Before the disaster, Aceh had been closed to foreign aid workers and journalists.

          The United Nations asked Indonesia not to attach a deadline to the presence of foreign troops after Vice President Jusuf Kalla said they should be gone in three months.

          While Indonesia has toned down talk of a deadline, it has made clear it wants foreign troops to wind up operations soon.

          "The emergency stage is almost behind us, so the military will no longer be as effective to give their contribution. Civilians are needed," Shihab said.

          "We are opening up isolated areas through ground transportation, so we don't need more helicopters to fly."

          U.N. officials say helicopters operated by U.S. and other militaries remain key to reaching isolated pockets of people.

          Relief workers in Aceh said their work was far from over and they were preparing to take on more of the burden.

          "We are feeding close to 400,000 people now. But that does not equate with mission accomplished," Patrick Webb, global chief of nutrition for the World Food Program (WFP), told Reuters.

          In Helsinki, the office of former Finnish president Martti Ahtisaari said he would mediate talks between the Indonesian government and the rebel Free Aceh Movement (GAM) next week.

          Indonesia's Foreign Ministry said it could neither confirm nor deny the report. A spokesman for the rebel group's exiled leadership in Sweden, said he had no information on any contacts between the two sides.

          In Sri Lanka, where more than 38,000 were killed, donors say they fear aid may not reach displaced Sri Lankans because government had created a risk of graft and mismanagement.

          "The way the government is handling this could lead to large-scale corruption," J.C. Weliamuna, executive director of the Sri Lankan arm of anti-corruption watchdog Transparency International, said Sunday.

          1,000 BODIES A DAY

          Some Indonesians said they fear becoming dependent on aid and worry about when international efforts wind down.

          "I don't want to stay here forever, but I'm not sure how to get out," said Yunus, a tailor who lost his shop and house, and is now living in a refugee camp.

          The WFP said it was positioning a floating warehouse off Indonesia's ravaged west coast.

          A 3,000-tonship with its own landing craft, loading facilities and enough supplies of rice, noodles and biscuits to feed survivors for a month was due to arrive Monday.

          "It will make a significant difference to food distribution on the west coast. Obviously, we are at the stage where we have to make our own arrangements, with the anticipated departure of the assisting militaries," WFP spokesman Gerald Bourke said.

          Volunteers and soldiers in Aceh still pull more than 1,000 bodies daily from the mud and destroyed buildings. The corpses are usually dumped in mass graves.

          With so many missing, conflicting figures put the toll of deaths in a dozen countries from Indonesia to Somalia at between 165,000 and 234,000.

          Governments and private groups around the world have pledged more than $7 billion in relief funds.

          On the weekend, top stars of rock, pop and classical music packed a Welsh stadium to raise money for tsunami victims at Britain's biggest charity concert in 20 years. Performers included Eric Clapton and the band Manic Street Preachers.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          FM: 8 freed hostages now in embassy, coming home soon

           

             
           

          Bank officials flee after US$120m go missing

           

             
           

          Iran says US attack would be a strategic error

           

             
           

          Mayor sets out Olympic pledge for 2005

           

             
           

          China and India launch first strategic dialogue

           

             
           

          1.2 mln applicants crowd into exam rooms

           

             
            Qaeda ally declares all-out war on Iraqi election
             
            Suicide car bomb targets Allawi office in Baghdad
             
            Vietnam reports two more bird flu infections
             
            Majority of Japanese want troops out of Iraq
             
            Strong quake shakes Indonesia's Sulawesi
             
            US envoy acknowledges Iraq election woes
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 西西大胆午夜人体视频| 亚洲日韩亚洲另类激情文学| 亚洲AV无码国产在丝袜APP| 亚洲AV无码无在线观看红杏| 亚洲欧美中文日韩V日本| 97久久超碰亚洲视觉盛宴| 最新精品国产自偷在自线| 国产精品乱码人妻一区二区三区| 国产人人干| 亚洲综合久久一区二区三区 | 亚洲国产精品电影人久久网站 | 欧美视频专区一二在线观看| 给我免费播放的电影在线观看| 狠狠色噜噜狠狠狠狠av不卡| 人人爽人人模人人人爽人人爱| 一色桃子中出欲求不满人妻| 中文字幕亚洲精品人妻| 老司机午夜福利视频| 人妻va精品va欧美va| 伊人成伊人成综合网222| 久久天天躁狠狠躁夜夜avapp| 亚洲免费一区二区av| 亚洲第一区二区快射影院| 国产精品一区二区久久精品| 午夜A理论片在线播放| 人人澡人人透人人爽| 日本一码二码三码的区分| 欧美天天综合色影久久精品| 色综合欧美亚洲国产| 日韩V欧美V中文在线| 97夜夜澡人人双人人人喊| 性男女做视频观看网站| 99精品国产在热久久婷婷| 伊人色综合久久天天| 男人进女人下部全黄大色视频 | 熟女亚洲综合精品伊人久久| 亚洲熟妇熟女久久精品一区| 亚洲欧美日本久久网站| 九九热爱视频精品视频| 国产精品久久精品| 精品乱码一区二区三四五区|