<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          10 thought dead after UK crash in Iraq
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-31 21:20

          LONDON - Britain's government said Monday that 10 of its military personnel were missing and presumed dead following the downing of a military transport plane north of Baghdad on Iraq's election day. An Iraqi militant group claimed responsibility for shooting down the plane in an Internet statement.
           
          Smokes rises after a controlled detonation of an improvised explosive device (IED) by the U.S. Marines in a village in Al Anbar province west of Baghdad, Iraq, January 31, 2005. [Reuters]
          If the deaths are confirmed, it would be the biggest single loss of British lives since the start of the Iraq war. The previous highest number was eight.

          In a statement on an Islamic Web site, Ansar al-Islam claimed its fighters tracked the aircraft, "which was flying at a low altitude, and fired an anti-tank missile at it." The plane was flying from Baghdad to the town of Balad, where the U.S. military has an air base.

          "Thanks be to God, the plane was downed and a huge fire and black clouds of smoke were seen rising from the location of the crash," said the statement posted Sunday.

          A spokesman for Britain's Ministry of Defense said he could not confirm Ansar al-Islam's claim. "People on the ground are investigating," he said on condition of anonymity.

          British Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon said that nine British air force personnel and one soldier were missing and believed killed in the crash.

          Capt. David Orwin, a British military spokesman in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, told the Press Association news agency that the crash site had been secured by U.S. and British forces.

          A senior U.S. military officer in Iraq said the Royal Air Force Hercules C-130 aircraft crashed 25 miles northwest of Baghdad, adding that the plane's wreckage was scattered over a large area. The Ministry of Defense in London said the crash occurred 19 miles northwest of the Iraqi capital.

          Ansar al-Islam and other insurgent groups are known to operate in the area, and insurgents have fired at coalition aircraft before. Several thousand surface-to-air missiles disappeared from Iraqi military arsenals after the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regime and many of them are believed to have fallen into the hands of insurgents.

          Britain, America's top ally in the coalition, has 9,000 troops in Iraq, mostly in the south of the country near the city of Basra. British officials haven't said why the Hercules was flying north of Baghdad.

          "It is the largest single loss of British service lives since the military action began almost two years ago," Straw said of the plane crash. "Our hearts go out to the families and comrades of those who were killed and those injured," he told British Broadcasting Corp. radio.

          One of the dead was a serviceman with joint British-Australian citizenship, Flight Lt. Paul Pardoel, the Australian government said.

          The British military has reported 76 deaths since the start of the Iraq war. Eight British troops died along with four American crew when a U.S. helicopter crashed over Kuwait on March 21, 2003.

          Britain's Royal Air Force flies several versions of the American-built C-130 Hercules aircraft, which is used to carry troops, passengers and freight. The older C-130K model has a crew of five or six and carries up to 128 troops. The newer C-130J version has a crew of three and can also carry up to 128 infantry. The RAF has some 60 Hercules aircraft, about half of which are newer planes.

          Military expert Air Vice-Marshall Tony Mason said the fact the wreckage was widely scattered indicated the Hercules may have been shot down.

          "The first statement said the crash site covered a wide area, which suggests impact in the air rather than the ground," Mason told BBC radio. "My concern is that at the moment it could very well be hostile action."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Eight students die from meningitis in Anhui

           

             
           

          Millions of Iraqis vote; attacks kill 35

           

             
           

          Vice-Premier: China salutes more investment

           

             
           

          Delegates to attend Koo funeral in Taiwan

           

             
           

          Cenbank to shift some functions to Shanghai

           

             
           

          US-led forces could leave Iraq in 18 months

           

             
            Millions of Iraqis vote; attacks kill 35
             
            10 thought dead after UK crash in Iraq
             
            Bush declares Iraq election a success
             
            Official: U.S.-led forces could leave in 18 months
             
            Bomb injures 1 in Spain after ETA warning
             
            Colombian paramilitary unit gives up arms
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          At least 118 die in fatal Milan accident
             
          Bloodiest day for US troops in Iraq, 37 killed
             
          30 killed in Nigerian road accident
             
          Nine people killed in Russian plane crash
             
          Bus falls into canal in India, 40 feared killed
             
          Death toll in Italian train crash rises to 14
             
          Italy train crash kills about 10 - Police
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 在熟睡夫面前侵犯我在线播放 | av天堂久久天堂色综合| 欧美精品一产区二产区| 国内精品伊人久久久久影院对白 | 国产精品一码在线播放| 久久超碰极品视觉盛宴| 成人自拍短视频午夜福利| 猫咪社区免费资源在线观看| 8848高清电视| 国产午夜亚洲精品国产成人| 狠狠做五月深爱婷婷天天综合| 亚洲狼人久久伊人久久伊| 亚洲国产天堂久久国产91| 风骚少妇久久精品在线观看| 日韩在线视频网| 豆国产97在线 | 亚洲| 欧美人与动人物牲交免费观看| 国产精品嫩草影院入口一二三| 亚洲人成网站18禁止无码| 午夜福利在线一区二区| 熟妇激情一区二区三区| 少妇高潮喷水久久久久久久久| 亚洲激情在线一区二区三区| 国产成人av免费观看| 下面一进一出好爽视频| 精精国产xxx在线观看| 娇妻玩4p被三个男人伺候| 性无码专区无码| 国产成人资源| 久久月本道色综合久久| 花蝴蝶日本高清免费观看| 白丝乳交内射一二三区| 中国CHINA体内裑精亚洲日本 | 99久久精品国产一区色| 日本精品极品视频在线| 亚洲sm另类一区二区三区| 加勒比精品一区二区三区| 午夜精品福利亚洲国产| 女人的天堂A国产在线观看| 欧洲亚洲国产成人综合色婷婷| 东方四虎av在线观看|