<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Syria to pull back troops in Lebanon
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-02-25 09:47

          Syria said Thursday it will begin withdrawing its troops in Lebanon closer to its own border, a move designed to blunt international demands for a complete pullout and to ease a groundswell of anti-Syrian sentiment.

          But a dissatisfied United States said the move was not enough and demanded a full withdrawal from the Mideast nation.

          "This needs to happen immediately," US State Department spokesman Tom Casey said. A resolution by the U.N. Security Council "calls in clear, unequivocal terms for all foreign forces to withdraw from Lebanon."

          Both Syria and Lebanon's Damascus-allied government gave no timetable, indicating the troops would not leave Lebanon at this stage and that the withdrawal toward the border would be on their own terms.

          The two countries don't want to be seen to be caving in to a U.N. Security Council resolution in September that effectively called on Syria to withdraw all its forces from Lebanon and to end its political interference.

          While the redeployment promised Thursday falls well short of the U.N. demands, it was still a significant attempt to ease pressure that has been building since the Feb. 14 assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in Beirut.

          There was no sign Thursday night of any movement among Syria's 15,000 troops in Lebanon. At a Syrian intelligence post at Ramlet el-Baida, on the southern edge of Beirut, a gun-wielding plainclothes Syrian agent stood outside one office, while another paced back and forth. Along the Beirut-Damascus highway near the mountain town of Aley, Syrian soldiers collected their dinners from a truck.

          "The decision to withdraw has been taken," Lebanese Defense Minister Abdul-Rahim Murad told the local New TV channel. "What remains is the exact timing."

          A pullback could start as early as Saturday, said one senior Lebanese security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

          Murad said Lebanese and Syrian military officers were meeting to define "the dates and the way" of the withdrawal. He stressed it was in line with the Arab-brokered Taif accord of 1989, which provides for Syrian soldiers to be stationed in the eastern Bekaa Valley near the border.

          Thursday's tough U.S. statement reflects both skepticism that Syria will comply and a downturn in relations with Syria, accelerated by Hariri's assassination.

          But Syria's move will not sidetrack talks that a senior State Department official, David Satterfield, plans to hold in Lebanon early next week, the State Department spokesman, Casey, said.

          Satterfield, a former U.S. ambassador to Beirut and now a deputy assistant secretary of state, will convey the U.S. demand for a full and immediate withdrawal.

          He also will talk to Lebanese officials about the need for a thorough inquiry into last week's assassination of Hariri, department spokesman Richard Boucher said Wednesday.

          Lebanon has rejected an international inquiry but has expressed a willingness to cooperate with foreign investigators. A team dispatched by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan to investigate the Hariri assassination arrived in Beirut Thursday.

          Syria in the past has redeployed its troops in Lebanon in ways that seemed to indicate a pullout was in the works. But the troops remain in Lebanon.

          Israel, Syria's arch foe, welcomed the announcement. Egypt said that Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa would be coming to Cairo at an unspecified date to discuss the issue. Egypt sent its intelligence chief to Damascus on Wednesday for talks on the matter..

          The killing of Hariri, who was credited with rebuilding Lebanon after the 1975-90 civil war, provoked mass demonstrations against Syria. Lebanese opposition leaders accused the government and Syria of playing a role in the assassination — a charge strongly denied by both governments. The opposition has now pledged to bring down the government in a no-confidence motion in parliament on Monday.

          Some opposition figures dismissed Thursday's withdrawal statement as vague. Samir Franjieh said the announcement did not refer to a complete pullout from Lebanon.

          Druse leader Walid Jumblatt, a harsh critic of Syria's role in Lebanon, said "we demand a fixed timetable for a comprehensive withdrawal."

          Syrian troops are currently based on the mountains overlooking the Mediterranean coast to the west and in the eastern Bekaa Valley. They also have positions along the north Lebanese coast around Tripoli, the country's second-largest city.

          The bulk of the Syrian garrison, which once numbered 35,000, has been withdrawn from the coastal areas in redeployments since 2000.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          South Korean nabbed in illegal banking

           

             
           

          Central bank warns of inflation threat

           

             
           

          US says 'thousands' of missiles missing

           

             
           

          British minister: EU may fall behind China

           

             
           

          Beijing chides Clinton for planned Taiwan visit

           

             
           

          Survey: China, India rival US competitiveness

           

             
            Judge dismisses YUKOS bankruptcy case
             
            30 die in series of attacks across Iraq
             
            Bush criticizes Putin on democracy's slide
             
            US says 'thousands' of missiles missing
             
            War saved me from court martial - Musharraf
             
            Bush-Putin summit to tackle nuclear terror
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Official: Syria troops out of Lebanon soon
             
          Bush demands Syria withdraw forces from Lebanon
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: AV最新高清无码专区| 成人无码潮喷在线观看| A毛片终身免费观看网站| 亚洲AV日韩AV一区二区三曲| 国产在线观看91精品亚瑟| 亚洲AV无码国产在丝袜APP| 亚洲午夜成人精品电影在线观看| 久久精品国产亚洲av天海翼| 2021国产精品视频网站| 国产一区二区黄色激情片| L日韩欧美看国产日韩欧美| 亚洲第一视频区| 国产99re热这里只有精品| 亚洲欧洲综合| 18禁无遮挡啪啪无码网站破解版 | 亚洲综合久久久中文字幕| 国产自拍一区二区三区在线| 久久99日韩国产精品久久99| 看免费的无码区特aa毛片| 亚洲av永久无码精品成人| 吉川爱美一区二区三区视频| 国产萌白酱喷水视频在线观看| 牛鞭伸入女人下身的真视频| 亚洲人成色99999在线观看| 欧美性猛交xxx嘿人猛交| 国产精品国三级国产专区| 国产午夜一区二区在线观看 | 亚洲国产大胸一区二区三区| 亚洲综合一区二区三区| 国产无遮挡免费视频免费| 2021亚洲va在线va天堂va国产| 精品无码国产污污污免费| 久久香蕉国产线看观看怡红院妓院| 午夜免费无码福利视频麻豆| 免费吃奶摸下激烈视频| 老子午夜精品无码| 国产福利社区一区二区| 性国产vⅰdeosfree高清| 色一伊人区二区亚洲最大| 亚洲欧洲中文日韩AV乱码| 尤物国产精品福利在线网|