<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Italy honors dead agent, awaits US move
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-03-07 21:25

          ROME - Italy paid homage Monday to an intelligence officer killed in Iraq by US forces, giving him a full state funeral that was tinged with anger over how he was gunned down while protecting a freed Italian hostage.

          Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi embraces an unidentified relative of Italian intelligence officer Nicola Calipari, at the end of a state funeral in Rome's Saint Maria degli Angeli church March 7, 2005. [Reuters]
          Among the mourners was Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who sent Nicola Calipari on his fatal mission to Baghdad and is struggling to reconcile his fervent pro-U.S. policies with demands for the truth from Washington over the shooting. Hundreds of Italians lined the streets as Calipari's body was driven to the imposing basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels and Martyrs for the funeral, which was shown live on television.

          Uniformed soldiers provided a guard of honor and crowds broke into applause as the coffin, draped in the Italian flag, was carried aloft into the packed church.

          "It is time to honor the heroic sacrifice of Nicola Calipari, without divisions, all together, without controversy. Let's leave the controversy outside," top government official Gianni Letta said in an address, fighting back his tears.

          Calipari died from a bullet to the head as he threw himself over journalist Giuliana Sgrena when U.S. forces opened fire on their vehicle just outside Baghdad airport Friday.

          Sgrena, who had been freed minutes earlier by her Iraqi captors after a month in captivity, is recovering in a Rome hospital from a bullet wound to the shoulder.

          Both Sgrena and an Italian secret service agent driving the car have denied U.S. assertions that soldiers only fired on them after they had failed to heed signals to slow down, and also rejected claims that they had been speeding.

          Sgrena, who writes for the daily Il Manifesto, has suggested they were targeted because the United States opposes Italy's practice of negotiating with hostage takers.

          PUNISHMENT

          The Italian government has made clear that it will continue to support President Bush despite the killing and will not withdraw its troops from Iraq. But at the same time it is demanding those responsible for the shooting be punished.

          "The alliance with the United States is not up for debate, likewise our military commitment to Iraq," Berlusconi was quoted as saying by Italian newspapers Monday.

          Nonetheless, there was anger across Italy, with politicians of all colors rejecting the official U.S. explanation.

          "Unfortunately only the Americans know what really happened. I hope eventually we will find out the truth," said Sergio Mandoza, one of an estimated 100,000 people who filed past Calipari's coffin over the past 24 hours as it lay in state.

          Calipari worked out of Berlusconi's office and was a highly experienced hostage negotiator who had secured the release of two Italian aid workers taken captive in Iraq last year.

          But his killing has cast a spotlight on widespread speculation that Italy is paying off hostage-takers.

          Although the government denies paying ransoms, officials say off the record that money was paid to win Sgrena's freedom, with sums of $6 million to $8 million being mentioned in the press.

          The United States and Britain, which have the biggest military contingents in Iraq, condemn such payments, arguing that they fuel the hostage trade.

          INVESTIGATION

          Bush has promised Berlusconi, one of his closest allies in Europe, a full investigation into Calipari's death. The Italian prime minister is hoping for answers before he addresses parliament Wednesday over the shooting.

          In previous "friendly-fire" deaths, the Pentagon has not publicly admitted to any culpability on the part of U.S. forces.

          Italian officials have rejected Sgrena's claim that she might have been deliberately shot at, but they fear any hint of a U.S. whitewash will inflame anti-American sentiment in Italy.

          "What has happened cannot be used as an alibi to revive anti-Americanism," said the powerful speaker of the lower house of parliament, Pier Ferdinando Casini.

          "(But) friendship can never be servitude and for this reason we have to ask with determination to have the truth and clarity," he told La Repubblica newspaper in an interview.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Top banker: State banks to go public soon

           

             
           

          Japan and US told: Hands off Taiwan

           

             
           

          Market to have bigger say in yuan rate

           

             
           

          Grain self-sufficiency still key for nation

           

             
           

          Leading group to oversee energy sector

           

             
           

          Heinz recalls its dye-fouled products

           

             
            Italy honors dead agent, awaits US move
             
            Bulgaria says soldier killed by US troops
             
            Syria to redeploy forces to east Lebanon in March
             
            Insurgent launch attacks in Iraq; 12 dead
             
            Vietnam reports a new case of bird flu
             
            Iran admits keeping nuclear program secret
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Wounded Italian journalist returns home
             
          Italy seeks US answers over Iraq shootout
             
          French hostage in Iraq pleads for help
             
          French hostage in Iraq pleads for help
             
          3 hostages freed by rebels enter Jordan
             
          Indonesian journalists freed in Iraq: Sunni leaders
             
          Kidnapped Italian reporter shown on tape
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲精品视频免费| 日韩中文字幕高清有码| 亚洲天堂领先自拍视频网| 中文字幕av一区二区三区| 亚洲一区二区国产精品视频 | 影视先锋av资源噜噜| 日韩深夜福利视频在线观看| 亚洲国产精品久久久天堂麻豆宅男 | 欧美日韩亚洲中文字幕二区| 亚洲一区二区三区啪啪| 亚洲AV无码片一区二区三区| 欧美人牲交| 国产日韩综合av在线| 99热亚洲人色精品国产88| 视频一区二区三区四区不卡| 最近最好的2019中文| 无码人妻丰满熟妇精品区| 久久天天躁狠狠躁夜夜2020老熟妇| 中文字幕无码免费久久99| 亚洲日韩一区二区一无码| 亚洲欧美日韩精品久久亚洲区色播| 国产中文三级全黄| 被灌满精子的波多野结衣| 极品尤物被啪到呻吟喷水| av片在线观看永久免费| 国产午夜精品福利在线观看| 性欧洲大肥性欧洲大肥女| 亚洲一区二区三区人妻天堂 | 无码午夜人妻一区二区三区不卡视频| 亚洲18禁一区二区三区| 精品一区二区不卡无码av| 亚洲av色香蕉一区二区| 国产v综合v亚洲欧美大天堂| 国产精品毛片一区视频播| 中文字幕无线码免费人妻| 少妇宾馆粉嫩10p| 亚洲激情一区二区三区视频| 亚洲图片自拍偷图区| 人人爽人人模人人人爽人人爱| 亚洲av区一区二区三区| 无码国产69精品久久久久|