<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          UN passes Sudan war crimes resolution
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-04-01 14:03

          UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council approved a resolution Thursday to prosecute Sudanese war crimes suspects before the International Criminal Court, after the United States reversed policy and agreed not to use its veto.

          The United States won significant concessions, including ironclad guarantees it sought that Americans working in Sudan would not be handed over to either the ICC or any other nation's courts if they are accused of crimes in Sudan.

          The UN Security Council voted to refer war crimes trials over Darfur to the International Criminal Court, as the United States won key concessions on its opposition to the tribunal(AFP
          The UN Security Council voted to refer war crimes trials over Darfur to the International Criminal Court March 31, 2005, as the United States won key concessions on its opposition to the tribunal. [AFP]
          With Secretary-General Kofi Annan looking on, the council voted 11-0 with four abstentions, the United States, Algeria, Brazil and China. The vote came at 10:30 p.m. EST after hours of delay.

          "This resolution marks a turning point, for it is sending the message beyond Darfur to all of those criminals responsible for crimes against humanity and war crimes who all too often believed that they were beyond the pale of justice," France's U.N. Ambassador Jean-Marc de la Sabliere said.

          Acting U.S. Ambassador Anne Patterson said the United States still "fundamentally objects" to the court but was determined to get something done on Sudan.

          "It is important that the international community speak with one voice in order to help promote effective accountability," Patterson said.

          Even with the legal concessions, the U.S. decision not to veto was a major shift. Ever since he took office, President Bush had actively opposed the court, and American diplomats had repeatedly said they opposed any variation that referred the Sudan cases to it.

          On Wednesday, Bush administration officials had already said they were dropping their objections to using the International Criminal Court for Sudanese suspects because of the legal guarantees it got for its citizens.

          But the threat of a U.S. veto loomed all day Thursday as diplomats grappled with language acceptable to all sides.

          France, Britain and seven other Security Council members have ratified the ICC statute, while two more have signed and are expected to ratify. In total, 98 countries are parties to the treaty and 139 are signatories.

          The document is the last of three Security Council resolutions aimed at putting pressure on Sudan to stop a crisis in Darfur, where the number of dead from a conflict between government-backed militias and rebels in Darfur is now estimated at 180,000.

          One strengthens the arms embargo and imposes an asset freeze and travel ban on those who defy peace efforts. The other will send 10,000 U.N. peacekeepers to monitor a peace deal between the government and southern rebels that ended a 21-year civil war. The council hopes the resolution will also help Darfur move toward peace as well.

          A veto on the third resolution could have been politically damaging because a veto would have left the prosecution of war crimes suspects in limbo. And it was the United States itself that had declared genocide has occurred in Darfur.

          The Bush administration had wanted an African court to try those accused of war crimes, but the U.S. proposal had little support among the 14 other Security Council nations.

          The U.S. decision to allow the court to prosecute war crimes perpetrators could raise hackles among conservatives for whom the court is an unaccountable body that cannot be trusted.

          They include John Bolton, the undersecretary of state for arms control and international security and the nominee to become the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

          The draft refers Darfur cases since July 1, 2002, to the International Criminal Court. That was the recommendation of a U.N. panel that had concluded in January that crimes against humanity — but not genocide — occurred in the vast western region of Sudan.

          The final negotiations hinged on the language in paragraph six of the resolution, which had nothing to do with Sudan itself. It says citizens of countries that have not ratified the treaty establishing the court may only be prosecuted by their own national courts.

          Some countries object to that because their laws allow for the prosecution of foreign nationals suspected of committing a crime against their citizens.

          Several diplomats said they objected because they feared paragraph six seriously weakened the criminal court.

          "Operative paragraph six subsumes the independence of the ICC to the political and diplomatic vagaries of the Security Council," Philippines U.N. Ambassador Laoro Baja said. "Nevertheless, this eventually may well be worth the sacrifice if impunity is ended in Darfur."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Beijing invites KMT chairman to visit mainland

           

             
           

          FM: History distortion no small beer

           

             
           

          Sponsors in starting blocks for 2008 Games

           

             
           

          Inspections find more Sudan I food

           

             
           

          Pope close to death, receives communion

           

             
           

          Terri Schiavo dies, but debate lives on

           

             
            Terri Schiavo dies, but debate lives on
             
            US intelligence 'dead wrong' on Iraq - Report
             
            Pope in sharp turn for worse with fever
             
            N.Korea sets date for parliament after delay
             
            Suicide bombing kills 5 Iraqis near shrine
             
            World Bank board approves Wolfowitz
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美疯狂xxxxbbbb牲交| 久久精品人人做人人爽97| 韩国无码中文字幕在线视频| 亚洲人成色99999在线观看| 精品久久久久久无码国产| 亚洲中文字幕无码av永久| 动漫AV纯肉无码AV电影网| chinese熟女老女人hd视频| 亚洲人成电影网站 久久影视| 老子影院午夜久久亚洲| 国产成人精品久久一区二| 内地自拍三级在线观看| 伊人久久大香线蕉AV网| 中文字幕有码免费视频| 成人国产激情福利久久精品| 中文字幕亚洲制服在线看| 久久精品丝袜| 成人做受120秒试看试看视频| 亚洲中文字幕系列第1页| 国产成人午夜福利在线播放| 欧美亚洲h在线一区二区| 国产毛片子一区二区三区| aⅴ精品无码无卡在线观看| 国产激情无码一区二区三区| 人人妻人人澡人人爽不卡视频| 精品乱子伦一区二区三区| 无码AV无码免费一区二区| 国产成人久久精品77777综合| 亚洲精品无码久久一线| 国产毛多水多高潮高清| 国产熟女真实乱精品51| 免费人成在线观看播放国产| 亚洲国产免费图区在线视频| 国产一卡2卡三卡4卡免费网站| 国产蜜臀精品一区二区三区 | 99精品国产一区二区三| 肥臀浪妇太爽了快点再快点| 噜噜噜亚洲色成人网站∨| 视频一区二区无码制服师生 | 国产精品视频亚洲二区| 欧美一区二区三区欧美日韩亚洲 |