<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Iraq kidnap reports may be exaggerated
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-04-18 10:07

          Iraqi security forces backed by U.S. troops had the town of Madain surrounded Sunday after reports of Sunni militant kidnappings of as many as 100 Shiite residents, but there were growing indications the incident had been grossly exaggerated, perhaps an outgrowth of a tribal dispute or political maneuvering.

          The town of about 1,000 families, evenly divided between Shiites and Sunnis, sits about 15 miles south of the capital in what the U.S. military has called the "Triangle of Death" because it has become a roiling stronghold of the militant insurgency.

          Iraqis walk past a U.S. military Humvee on their way out of Madain, Iraq Sunday, April 17, 2005. Iraqi security forces raided the central Iraqi town Sunday, where Sunni militants were holding dozens of Shiite Muslims hostage and threatening to kill them unless all Shiites left the area, an Iraqi official said.(AP Photo/Khalid Mohammed)
          Iraqis walk past a U.S. military Humvee on their way out of Madain, Iraq Sunday, April 17, 2005. Iraqi security forces raided the central Iraqi town Sunday, where Sunni militants were holding dozens of Shiite Muslims hostage and threatening to kill them unless all Shiites left the area, an Iraqi official said. [AP]
          An AP photographer and television cameraman who were in or near the town Sunday said large numbers of Iraqi forces had sealed it off, supported by U.S. forces farther away outside Madain.

          The cameraman said he toured the town Sunday morning. People were going about their business normally, shops were open and tea houses were full, he said. Residents contacted by telephone also said everything was normal in Madain.

          And American military officials said they were unaware of any U.S. role in what had been described as a tense sectarian standoff in which the Sunni militants were threatening to kill their Shiite captives if all other Shiites did not leave the town.

          At least 32 people died over the weekend in insurgent violence elsewhere in Iraq, including a 28-year-old American aid worker identified as Marla Ruzicka, the founder of a group that was trying to determine the number of civilian casualties in Iraq.

          The confusion over Madain illustrated how quickly rumors spread in a country of deep ethnic and sectarian divides, where the threat of violence is all too real. Poor telephone communications, and the difficulty of traveling from one town to the next because of daily attacks on the roads make it difficult even for government officials to establish the facts.

          In this photo released by World Picture News on Sunday April 17 2005, American civilian Marla Ruzicka, of the Washington DC-based human rights group Civic Worldwide, poses with an Iraqi family that was helped by her organization in Baghdad, Iraq, Friday, April 15, 2005. Ruzicka was killed by a car bomb attack in Baghdad Saturday, April 16, 2005. (AP Photo / Scott Nelson, World Picture News, ho)
          In this photo released by World Picture News on Sunday April 17 2005, American civilian Marla Ruzicka, of the Washington DC-based human rights group Civic Worldwide, poses with an Iraqi family that was helped by her organization in Baghdad, Iraq, Friday, April 15, 2005. Ruzicka was killed by a car bomb attack in Baghdad Saturday, April 16, 2005.[AP]
          National Security Minister Qassim Dawoud warned Parliament on Sunday of attempts to draw the country into sectarian war and said three battalions of Iraqi soldiers, police and U.S. forces were sent to Madain. He said the Iraqi military was planning a large-scale assault on the region by week's end.

          A Defense Ministry official, Haidar Khayon, said early Sunday that Iraqi forces raided the town and freed about 15 Shiite families and captured five hostage takers in a skirmish with light gunfire. He said there were no casualties.

          Iraq's most influential Shiite Muslim cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, urged government officials to resolve the crisis peacefully, his office said.

          By the end of the day, however, Iraqi officials had produced no hostages and Iraqi military officials and police who had given information about the troubles in Madain could not be reached for further details.

          Also on Sunday, Sheikh Abdul Salam al-Kubaisi, a spokesman for the Association of Muslim Scholars, an organization of Sunni clerics, denied hostages had been taken in Madain. "This news is completely untrue," he told al-Jazeera television.

          The country's most-feared insurgent group, al-Qaida in Iraq, also denied there had been any hostage-taking in a statement Sunday on an Islamic Web site known for its militant content.

          The group, headed by the Jordanian-born terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, said the incident was a fabrication by the "enemies of God" to justify a military attack on Madain aimed at Sunnis.

          Sunnis make up about 20 percent of Iraq's estimated 26 million population, but were dominant under Saddam Hussein. Since U.S.-led forces drove him from power two years ago, the disempowered Sunnis are believed to form the backbone of the ongoing insurgency, angered by their loss of influence to majority Shiites.

          Whatever happened in Madain began Thursday when Shiite leaders claimed Sunni militants seriously damaged a town mosque in a bomb attack. The next day, the Shiites said, masked militants drove through town, capturing Shiites residents and threatened to kill them unless all Shiites left.

          Shiite leaders and government officials had earlier estimated 35 to 100 people were taken hostage, but residents disputed the claim, with some saying they had seen no evidence any hostages were taken.

          Security forces began raiding sites Saturday in search of those abducted, Dawoud said.

          Elsewhere in Iraq on Sunday, insurgents killed at least eight Iraqis in attacks across the country aimed at police and other employees of the U.S.-backed interim government.

          The U.S. military said three American service members were killed and seven wounded as insurgents fired mortar rounds late Saturday at a U.S. Marine base near Ramadi, 70 miles west of Baghdad. Late Sunday, loud explosions were heard again from the direction of the base, but the U.S. military said it was not aware of any incidents involving its forces in the area.

          As of Sunday, at least 1,554 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

          The assault raised to 24 the number of people who died in Iraq Saturday, including Ruzicka, an Iraqi and another foreigner who died in a car bombing in the capital. Ruzicka founded the Washington-based Campaign for Innocent Victims In Conflict. CIVIC began conducting a door-to-door survey trying to determine the number of civilian casualties in Iraq soon after the war ended.

          "She cared about people and gave people her love and help," her mother, Nancy Ruzicka, said in a telephone interview from her home in Lakeport, Calif. "I'll remember the love she spread around the world and the good ambassador that she was for her country."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China tells Japan: Take 'concrete actions' on history

           

             
           

          Japan foreign policy grates Asia neighbors

           

             
           

          PM refutes EU arms embargo comments

           

             
           

          Olympic Games advisers win new positions

           

             
           

          Australia likely to grant MES to China

           

             
           

          People urged to maintain social stability

           

             
            India, Pakistan agree to boost trade, trust
             
            Japan foreign policy grates Asia neighbors
             
            Rice to balance democracy, terror war with Russia
             
            Bangladesh factory collapse toll hits 69
             
            12 dead after Swiss bus falls into ravine
             
            Child's body found in Paris fire debris
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          U.S. contractor kidnapped in Iraq
             
          Pakistan hostage in Iraq appeals to Musharraf: Al-Jazeera
             
          Kidnapped American in Iraq pleads for his life
             
          Al-Jazeera shows tape of alleged hostages
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久精品国产只有精品96| 国产亚洲精品成人无码精品网站| 精品一区二区久久久久久久网站| 国产精品中文字幕观看| 久久亚洲国产最新网站| 成人午夜污一区二区三区| 久久精品国产99久久六动漫| 国产女人在线视频| 97无码人妻福利免费公开在线视频| 日本欧美视频在线观看| 91福利视频一区二区| 日韩中文字幕高清有码| 亚洲大尺度一区二区av| 成A人片亚洲日本久久| 四房播色综合久久婷婷| 东京热人妻无码一区二区AV| 午夜福利国产一区二区三区| 亚洲国产精品午夜福利| 久久人人爽人人爽人人片DVD | 亚洲成av人影院无码不卡| 国产亚洲精品AA片在线爽| 扒开双腿猛进入喷水高潮叫声| 中年国产丰满熟女乱子正在播放| 久久人人97超碰精品| 国产精品 视频一区 二区三区| 内射干少妇亚洲69xxx| 久久亚洲精品国产精品婷婷| 九九热在线视频| 国产揄拍国产精品| 综合久久少妇中文字幕| 国产成人精彩在线视频| 在线天堂bt种子| 亚洲精品中文字幕在线观| 国产三级+在线播放| 人人做人人妻人人精| 国产91精选在线观看| 国产a在视频线精品视频下载| 欧美老熟妇乱子伦牲交视频| 无码内射中文字幕岛国片| 在线A毛片免费视频观看| 中文字幕免费视频|