<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Family of Australian hostage offers Iraq donation
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-05-09 16:54

          The family of an Australian held hostage by Iraqi militants pledged a donation to the Iraqi people on Monday as a deadline loomed to meet his captors' demands and the leader of Australia's Muslims made a mercy dash to Baghdad.

          Malcolm Wood asked for the group holding his brother Douglas, a 63-year-old engineer who lives in California and is married to an American, to tell them how they would like the Wood family's donation to be spent.

          "This is not a ransom. There has been no demand for a ransom," said Malcolm Wood, whose brother has been held hostage for more than a week.

          An image taken from a video shown on Qatari-based al-Jazeera news channel shows Australian hostage Douglas Wood pleading for his life in Iraq as two men point guns at his head. An Australian Muslim leader left for Iraq to try to negotiate his release, a day before the expiry of a deadline set by the hostage-takers for Canberra to start withdrawing its troops(AFP/AL JAZEERA TV/file)
          An image taken from a video shown on Qatari-based al-Jazeera news channel shows Australian hostage Douglas Wood pleading for his life in Iraq as two men point guns at his head. [AFP/file]
          "It is not clear yet what nature of group it is that is holding Douglas, therefore it is difficult to know what kind of response is the most appropriate," he told reporters.

          Malcolm Wood, who said he had spoken to Australian Prime Minister John Howard, did not disclose the value of the donation.

          The Wood family's message was also being delivered to Baghdad by the controversial leader of Australia's Muslims, Sheikh Taj al-Din al-Hilali, who left Sydney on Monday to travel to Iraq, but was unlikely to arrive before the militants' deadline expired.

          The militants have demanded that Australia withdraw its troops from Iraq by Tuesday morning or they will kill Wood.

          "Our experience of the past days had forced us to reflect on the many difficulties, sorrows, humiliations experienced by the people of Iraq, who are our fellow brothers and sisters," the statement from the Wood family read.

          "We are moved, therefore, to help and to share the burden. To this end ... the family of Douglas Wood will be making a generous charitable donation to help the people of Iraq."

          A spokesman for Australia's Islamic community told Reuters that Al-Hilali, who made an appeal in Arabic to the militants on Al Jazeera television at the weekend, hoped Wood's captors had heard the plea and would extend the deadline.

          "We are going to Iraq to help our Australian brother. We feel for Australians and we will do our best to bring our brother, Douglas Wood, home," Al-Hilali told reporters at Sydney airport.

          CONTROVERSIAL MUFTI

          The outspoken Al-Hilali is the 64-year-old Mufti of Australia's 300,000 Muslims, who make up about 1.5 percent of the nation's 20 million population.

          He hit headlines in 2003 when he was charged with assaulting and hindering police and resisting arrest after his car was pulled over. The charges were later dropped.

          Egyptian-born Al-Hilali was under the spotlight again in 2004 when he described the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States as "God's work against the oppressors." He later said his statement had been misinterpreted.

          Al-Hilali, who migrated to Australia more than two decades ago, also publicly declared his opposition to the war on Iraq.

          Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has said that Wood may have been kidnapped from his Baghdad apartment up to two days before a two-minute video was delivered to news agencies in Baghdad eight days ago.

          That video showed Wood pleading at gunpoint for Australia, Britain and the United States to withdraw troops from Iraq. A second video was released on Friday, setting the deadline.

          Al-Hilali told the militants in his televised appeal that he valued their jihad, or holy war, but called upon them to release Wood for the sake of the Australian society, "which does not support (Prime Minister John) Howard's pro-American policies."

          Australia's conservative government, a staunch U.S. ally that was among the first to join the war on Iraq two years ago, has stood firm on its refusal to give in to the militants.

          A new batch of 450 Australian troops are due to arrive in southern Iraq in the coming weeks to provide security and train the Iraqi army. They will take the total number of Australian troops in and around Iraq to about 1,400.

          Opinion polls taken in May last year showed that nearly two-thirds of Australians believed the war on Iraq was unjustified. Half of Australians believed it was not worth sending troops to Iraq, while 40 percent backed the decision.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          HSBC spends $1.04b to double China insurer stake

           

             
           

          Top SOE jobs go up for graps globally

           

             
           

          Red Square parade marks WWII victory

           

             
           

          Path of future cross-Strait relations laid down

           

             
           

          N. Korea hints at re-opening stalled talks

           

             
           

          Japan speaks highly of Hu's proposal on ties

           

             
            Red Square parade marks WWII victory
             
            South American, Arab leaders hold summit
             
            China, South Korea press for resumption of 6-way talks
             
            Bush, Putin meet, set aside differences
             
            Seven U.S. servicemembers killed in Iraq
             
            Afghan tribes back U.S. partnership
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Seven U.S. servicemembers killed in Iraq
             
          Iraq says captures key aide to Zarqawi
             
          Iraq appoints new ministers but one rejects post
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美性色黄大片www喷水| 亚洲精品一区二区三区综合 | 无码国产精品一区二区免费i6 | 久久精品波多野结衣| 国产欧美亚洲精品a第一页| 蜜桃网址| 成人午夜电影福利免费| 在线 欧美 中文 亚洲 精品| 偷自拍亚洲视频在线观看99| 国产成人永久免费av在线| 国产亚洲无线码一区二区| 精品国产一区二区三区卡| 欧美肥老太交视频免费| 久久无码中文字幕免费影院蜜桃| 国产JJIZZ女人多水喷水| 99在线观看视频免费| 99国产欧美另类久久久精品| 久久久精品人妻一区二区三区 | 秋霞在线观看秋| 亚洲日韩国产精品第一页一区| 人妻少妇无码精品专区| 精品一区二区三区不卡| 国内a级毛片| 成年女人免费碰碰视频| 亚洲熟妇AV乱码在线观看| 精品国产午夜福利伦理片| 老师破女学生处特级毛ooo片| 亚洲中国精品精华液| yy6080免费毛片一级| 日本福利一区二区精品| 日韩亚洲AV无码一区二区不卡| 26uuu另类亚洲欧美日本| 亚洲黄色成人在线观看| 欧洲精品亚洲精品日韩专区| 人妻系列中文字幕精品| 亚洲爽爆av一区二区| 日韩精品一区二区三区激情视频| 亚洲乱妇老熟女爽到高潮的片| 2021av在线| 亚洲av成人一区二区三区| 秋霞无码久久久精品|