<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Japan and Australia face Iraq hostage crises
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-05-10 19:28

          BAGHDAD - Two staunch U.S. allies in Iraq grappled with hostage crises on Tuesday as Japan confirmed one of its citizens was missing and a deadline set by the captors of an Australian passed with no word on his fate.

          Australian hostage Douglas Wood, 63, is seen in this image taken from al Jazeera television footage released on May 6, 2005. [Reuters]
          Insurgents launched two more suicide car bomb attacks in Baghdad, killing eight people and wounding more than 20. Over the past two weeks a surge of guerrilla bombings and ambushes has killed more than 300 Iraqis and wounded hundreds more.

          One of Iraq's most feared insurgent groups, the Army of Ansar al-Sunna, said in an Internet statement it had ambushed a foreign security convoy near a U.S. base in western Iraq and captured a Japanese citizen. A picture of the man's passport posted on the Internet gave his name as Akihiko Saito, aged 44.

          The group said video of the hostage, who works for a British security company, would be posted soon.

          Ansar al-Sunna has killed scores of hostages, including foreigners from countries with no connection to the Iraq war. Last August the group killed 12 Nepalese migrant workers, beheading one and then riddling the others with bullets.

          Another insurgent group, the Shura Council of the Mujahideen in Iraq, is holding an Australian hostage -- 63-year-old engineer Douglas Wood, seized in Baghdad last month.

          In a video shown on Al Jazeera television last week, Wood was shown looking distraught as two masked insurgents pointed rifles at him. His head had been shaved and he appeared to have a black eye. The insurgents demanded Australia withdraw its troops within 72 hours -- a deadline that expired on Tuesday.

          Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said there had been no word about Wood's fate since the deadline passed.

          "We haven't heard anything ... we just don't know what to think and we are continuing to work on the case," he said.

          "It's too unpredictable. The sense we have is that the people who have taken Douglas Wood are more politically driven. So that makes it hard to know how to handle it."

          U.S. ALLIES

          Both Australia and Japan have troops in Iraq backing up the U.S. military. A new batch of 450 Australian soldiers is due to arrive soon in southern Iraq, taking the total of Australian troops in and around Iraq to about 1,400.

          Japan has around 550 soldiers in Iraq, a largely symbolic deployment as they are not allowed to take part in combat.

          Both Australia and Japan have repeatedly said they will not bow to the demands of kidnappers. Besides Saito, six Japanese have been taken hostage in Iraq. Five were released but Shosei Koda, a backpacker, was beheaded by his captors last year.

          Japanese Defense Minister Yoshinori Ohno said the kidnapping would not affect the deployment of Japanese troops in Samawa.

          "Under present circumstances, it does not affect activities of the Self-Defense Forces in Samawa. Security there is not particularly worsening," a spokeswoman quoted Ohno as saying.

          The Army of Ansar al-Sunna said it had captured Saito after ambushing a convoy carrying 12 Iraqis and five foreigners near the town of Hit in the rebellious western province of Anbar. It said all those in the convoy except Saito were killed.

          Japanese media said Saito was a 20-year veteran of the French Foreign Legion and had spent two years in Japan's army.

          "He has serious injuries and we will soon issue a video showing him," his captors said in their Internet statement.

          The past few weeks have seen a sharp escalation in guerrilla attacks. On Tuesday a suicide bomber blew himself up near a U.S. military patrol in central Baghdad, killing eight Iraqis. A second suicide bomber targeted a base for the Baghdad river police on the banks of the Tigris, wounding three policemen.

          Three U.S. Marines were killed in separate incidents in western Iraq on Monday, bringing to 13 the number of American troops killed in action in Iraq since Saturday.

          The U.S. military has launched an offensive in the far west of Iraq near the Syrian border, where it says insurgents have established strongholds and are smuggling fighters and weapons.

          Heavy fighting has been reported in the town of Qaim and the surrounding area, and the U.S. military says at least 100 insurgents have been killed. The offensive is focusing on a remote desert area north of the Euphrates river.

          "The region, a known smuggling route and sanctuary for foreign fighters, is also used as a staging area where foreign fighters receive weapons and equipment for their attacks," the U.S. military said in a statement.

          It said insurgents attacked a Marine patrol near Qaim with rocket-propelled grenades, roadside bombs and two suicide car bombs on Monday, but the attack was repelled with no Marines killed.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Nation favours US-DPRK contact

           

             
           

          Soong in Beijing for historic meeting

           

             
           

          Nobel laureates to discuss development

           

             
           

          Firms eye 2008 Olympic security budget

           

             
           

          President back home from Moscow ceremony

           

             
           

          Most Japanese say shrine visits should stop

           

             
            Russia, EU agree on breakthrough deal
             
            Argentina, Brazil make up with dinner toast--Chavez
             
            Japanese security worker reported seized in Iraq
             
            US offers direct talks with North Korea
             
            Iran confirms uranium-to-gas conversion
             
            U.S. attack in Iraq kills 100 insurgents
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Militants issue hostage ultimatum in Iraq
             
          Australia firm in face of second hostage tape
             
          Mother-son hostages rescued in Shanghai
             
          Romania asks Iraq kidnappers to extend deadline
             
          Berlusconi warns US friendly fire inquiry 'not over'
             
          U.S. clears soldiers in Italian agent's Iraq death
             
          Bodies of 50 hostages found in Iraq
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产精品无码mv在线观看| 中文字幕人成乱码中文乱码| 伊人色综合久久天天| 日本高清无卡码一区二区| 黑人巨大精品欧美在线观看| 成人午夜av在线播放| 久久久久99精品成人片欧美| 日韩av熟女人妻一区二| 极品少妇被后入内射视| 北岛玲中文字幕人妻系列| 国产香蕉一区二区三区在线视频| 国产SUV精品一区二区88L| 日韩精品人妻av一区二区三区| 2022一本久道久久综合狂躁| 国产原创自拍三级在线观看| 亚洲综合国产激情另类一区| 老司机精品影院一区二区三区| 人人人妻人人人妻人人人| 女人张开腿让男人桶爽| 久久精品国产久精国产果冻传媒| 久久香蕉国产线看观看猫咪av| 给我免费播放的电影在线观看| 久久夜色噜噜噜亚洲av| 亚洲熟妇自偷自拍另欧美| 天天摸夜夜摸夜夜狠狠添| 免费观看的AV毛片的网站不卡| 神马午夜久久精品人妻| 中文字幕无线码中文字幕免费| 五月激情社区中文字幕| 日夜啪啪一区二区三区| 国产性生大片免费观看性| 欧美videosdesexo肥婆| 久久午夜无码鲁丝片直播午夜精品 | 久久综合九色综合97欧美| 日本东京热高清色综合| 国产午夜精品福利视频| 18禁无遮挡羞羞污污污污网站| 亚洲国产中文字幕精品| 人人妻人人做人人爽| 东方av四虎在线观看| 国产精品大白天新婚身材|