<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US calls Iraq border offensive a success
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-05-15 08:43

          The US military wrapped up a major offensive in a remote desert region near the Syrian border Saturday, saying it had cleaned out the insurgent haven and killed more than 125 militants during the weeklong campaign against followers of Iraq's most wanted terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

          Nine U.S. Marines were killed and 40 injured during Operation Matador — one of the largest American campaigns since militants were driven from Fallujah six months ago. The number of civilian casualties was not immediately known.

          American troops, backed by warplanes and helicopter gunships, swept through desert outposts along ancient smuggling routes, believed to be staging areas for foreign fighters who slip over the border and collect weapons to launch deadly attacks in Iraq's major cities.

          More than 1,000 Marines, soldiers and sailors participated in the operation, killing more than 125 insurgents, wounding many others and detaining 39 "of intelligence value," the military said in a statement. It provided no further information about the detainees.

          Numerous weapons caches containing machine guns, mortar rounds and rockets were discovered. Six car bombs and material for making other improvised explosive devises were also found, the statement said.

          The military said the operation confirmed its intelligence about a region north of the Euphrates River, including the existence of "cave complexes" used by insurgents in the nearby escarpment. It did not elaborate, but said U.S. and Iraqi forces would be back.

          The U.S. military said the seven-day operation "neutralized" an insurgent sanctuary. But in Qaim, the town where the campaign began, masked fighters armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades remained in plain sight just 24 hours earlier, setting up checkpoints and vowing to defend the town if U.S. forces return.

          The U.S. assault came amid a surge of militant attacks that have killed more than 450 people in just over two weeks since Iraq's first democratically elected government was announced.

          At least 13 more Iraqis died Saturday in a series of ambushes and bombings. They included a senior Iraqi Foreign Ministry official slain in a drive-by shooting outside his Baghdad home Saturday night, police said. Three bystanders were also injured in the attack that killed Jassim Mohammed Ghani, a director general in the ministry, police Capt. Talib Thamer said.

          The U.S. offensive began May 7 in Qaim, a town 200 miles northwest of Baghdad on the southern bank of the Euphrates River. American intelligence indicated insurgents had massed north of the waterway, according to reporters embedded with the assault. But as soldiers built a pontoon bridge, they started taking mortar fire from nearby Obeidi.

          When U.S. forces entered the village on May 8, they confronted well-equipped fighters — some with body armor — fighting from rooftops, basements and sandbag bunkers positioned in front of some homes. U.S. forces pounded the area with air strikes and artillery barrages, and some 70 insurgents were killed in the first 24 hours of the operation alone.

          Pentagon officials conceded, however, that the insurgents were better trained and equipped than previously thought.

          The next day, U.S. forces crossed the Euphrates and pushed along the winding river to the border, meeting little resistance, the military said.

          Periodic airstrikes continued into Friday, including one that killed 12 insurgents manning a checkpoint east of Husaybah, a nearby village, the military said. Another Friday air strike targeted a suspected terrorist safe house in nearby Karabilah. Secondary explosions indicated the presence of weapons and munitions in the building, the military said.

          But insurgents also inflicted a toll, killing six Marines in one squad when their troop transporter hit a bomb near Karabilah on Wednesday.

          A long column of U.S. troops, backed by tanks and helicopters, rolled back across the river Saturday and surrounded Obeidi, sending frightened villagers scurrying into their homes.

          Shelling began several hours later, damaging a house in the old part of the village and wounding five people, said Dr. Saadallah Anad at Obeidi General Hospital. Anad said he did not know if it was hit by U.S. weapons fire.

          U.S. military spokesman Capt. Jeffrey Pool said Marines conducted a "cordon and search" operation in the area, looking for insurgents, foreign fighters, weapons and bomb-making material. But he said Obeidi was not hit by air or artillery strikes on Saturday.

          Rival groups of insurgents also were fighting among themselves around Qaim, trading mortar, rocket and machine gun fire almost nightly, Pool said. Residents acknowledged fighting in Qaim and surrounding villages began before the U.S. offensive, characterizing it as tribal clashes.

          Residents reached by telephone in the old part of Obeidi said U.S. vehicles rolled through their area but met no resistance and withdrew late Saturday.

          Thousands fled the area during the offensive, pitching flimsy tents along sand-blown desert highways or seeking shelter in schools and mosques in nearby towns.

          The military denied resident reports that they had been without water and electricity in some areas since the offensive began.

          "Throughout the course of the operation, Marines strove to ensure the well-being of the local Iraqi citizens," the statement said. "According to commanders in the area, the Marines were greeted with greater hospitality from local villagers than is normally encountered."

          Elsewhere Saturday, U.S. airstrikes destroyed two unoccupied buildings near Fallujah that the military identified as an insurgent command center, weapons storage site, detention and possible torture facility. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties in the attack, about 40 miles west of the Iraqi capital.

          Meanwhile, arrest warrants have been issued against two former Cabinet ministers as the new government cracks down on corruption, according to officials in the office of Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari and his party.

          Former Transport Minister Louei Hatim Sultan al-Aris was charged with "administrative corruption," while ex-Labor Minister Leila Abdul-Latif was accused of "financial corruption" and bringing back into the government members of Saddam Hussein's brutal regime, said Jawad al-Maliki, a senior member of al-Jaafari's Dawa Party.

          Al-Aris's whereabouts are unknown, but Abdul-Latif remains in the country, he said.

          A 30-year-old detainee detained as a "security threat" at southeastern Iraq's Camp Bucca prison died of a heart attack Saturday, the U.S. military said. An investigation is underway into his death, the military said. Camp Bucca holds more than 6,000 Iraqi detainees.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China, US prepare for presidents' visits this year

           

             
           

          China slams US textile quotas

           

             
           

          South Korea, North Korea to meet next week

           

             
           

          Soldier describes wiring Iraq abuse victim

           

             
           

          Forum produces high-tech consensus with EU

           

             
           

          Central bank dismisses rate rumour

           

             
            US calls Iraq border offensive a success
             
            South Korea, North Korea to meet next week
             
            Dozens killed in Uzbek town - witness
             
            US shrugs off criticism on DPRK policy
             
            Soldier describes wiring Iraq abuse victim
             
            US base supporters prepare to fight for jobs
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产三级精品福利久久| 成人国产精品中文字幕| 日韩精品一区二区三区视频| 久久久亚洲av成人网站| 国产精品日韩av在线播放| 国产一级片在线播放| 精品国产一区二区亚洲人| 影音先锋AV成人资源站在线播放| 日日夜夜噜噜视频| 悠悠色成人综合在线观看| 99精品视频在线观看婷婷| 两个人看的www免费| 国产女同一区二区在线| 青青国产揄拍视频| 中文无码高潮到痉挛在线视频| 亚洲中文字幕无码卡通动漫野外 | 人妻少妇无码精品专区| 亚洲午夜精品久久久久久抢| 在线国产毛片| 一区二区三区精品视频免费播放| 中文国产不卡一区二区| 激情综合网五月激情五月| 日韩黄色av一区二区三区| 欧美日韩视频综合一区无弹窗| 国产精品天天看天天狠| 亚洲精品日本久久久中文字幕| 精品亚洲欧美高清不卡高清| 亚洲一区二区三区在线观看精品中文 | 欧美日本一区二区视频在线观看| 国产中年熟女大集合| 漂亮的保姆hd完整版免费韩国| 国产无遮挡裸体免费久久| 国产情侣激情在线对白| 伊人色在线视频| 国产精品久久久久影院亚瑟| 国精产品一区一区三区免费视频| 乌克兰丰满女人a级毛片右手影院 人妻中文字幕不卡精品 | 不卡国产一区二区三区| 亚洲国产精品久久久久久无码| 亚洲大老师中文字幕久热| 久久久精品人妻一区二区三区|