<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Newsweek retracts story on Quran abuse
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-05-17 08:17

          Newsweek magazine, under fire for publishing a story that led to deadly protests in Afghanistan, said Monday it was retracting its report that a military probe had found evidence of desecration of the Quran by U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay.

          Earlier Monday, Bush administration officials had brushed off an apology that Newsweek's editor Mark Whitaker had made in an editor's note and criticized the magazine's handling of the story.

          A Muslim boy holds a placard during an anti-U.S. demonstration in Bombay May 16, 2005. Newsweek on Monday retracted a report that claimed U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had desecrated the Koran, which triggered days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 16 people were killed. REUTERS
          A Muslim boy holds a placard during an anti-U.S. demonstration in Bombay May 16, 2005. Newsweek on Monday retracted a report that claimed U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had desecrated the Koran, which triggered days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 16 people were killed.[Reuters]
          Protests broke out across much of the Muslim world last week after Newsweek reported that U.S. investigators found evidence that interrogators had flushed a copy of Muslim's holy book down a toilet in an attempt to rattle detainees. The violence left about 15 dead and scores injured in Afghanistan.

          "It's appalling that this story got out there," US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said as she traveled home from Iraq.

          "People lost their lives. People are dead," US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Capitol Hill. "People need to be very careful about what they say, just as they need to be careful about what they do."

          This undated photo provided by Newsweek shows editor Mark Whitaker. Pakistan on Monday, May 16, 2005 reiterated its demand for an investigation into the alleged desecration of Islam's holy book at the U.S. prison in Guantanamo Bay, hours before Newsweek retracted the report claiming a Quran was flushed down a toilet to rattle detainees. 'Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Quran abuse at Guantanamo Bay,' Newsweek Editor Mark Whitaker said in a statement Monday. (AP Photo/Newsweek, File
          This undated photo provided by Newsweek shows editor Mark Whitaker.[AP/File]
          Following the criticism, Whitaker released a statement through a spokesman later Monday saying the magazine was retracting the article.

          "Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Quran abuse at Guantanamo Bay," Whitaker said.

          White House press secretary Scott McClellan called Newsweek's retraction "a good first step" but said it could not repair all the damage that had been done.

          "The report had real consequences," McClellan said. "People have lost their lives. Our image abroad has been damaged. There are some who are opposed to the United States and what we stand for who have sought to exploit this allegation."

          A Muslim Indian man holds a placard during an anti-U.S. demonstration in Bombay May 16, 2005. The protesters were skeptical about an apparent retraction by Newsweek magazine of a report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran and said U.S. pressure was behind the climb-down. The report in Newsweek's May 9 issue sparked protests across the Muslim world. (Arko Datta/Reuters)
          A Muslim Indian man holds a placard during an anti-U.S. demonstration in Bombay May 16, 2005.[Reuters]
          McClellan said the Pentagon had looked into the allegations initially and found nothing to substantiate them. "They continue to look into it," he said.

          Newsweek had reported in its issue dated May 9 that U.S. military investigators had found evidence that interrogators placed copies of Islam's holy book in washrooms and had flushed one down the toilet to get inmates to talk.

          Whitaker had written in a note to readers that "We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst."

          Whitaker said in his note that while other news organizations had aired charges of Quran abuse based on the testimony of detainees, the magazine decided to publish a short item after hearing from an unnamed U.S. official that a government probe had found evidence corroborating the charges.

          But on Friday, a top Pentagon spokesman told the magazine that a review of the military's investigation concluded "it was never meant to look into charges of Quran desecration."

          The spokesman also said the Pentagon had looked into other charges by detainees that the Quran had been desecrated and found them to be "not credible."

          Whitaker added that the magazine's original source later said he could not be sure he read about the alleged Quran incident in the report Newsweek cited, and that it might have been in another document. Whitaker said the magazine was still looking into the charges.

          Many of the 520 inmates at Guantanamo are Muslims arrested during the U.S.-led war against the Taliban and its al-Qaida allies in Afghanistan.

          In Afghanistan, Islamic scholars and tribal elders called for the punishment of anyone found to have abused the Quran, said Maulawi Abdul Wali Arshad, head of the religious affairs department in Badakhshan province.

          Arshad and the provincial police chief said the scholars met in Faizabad, 310 miles northeast of the capital, Kabul, and demanded a "reaction" from U.S. authorities within three days.

          Lebanon's most senior Shiite Muslim cleric on Sunday said the reported desecration of the Quran is part of an American campaign aimed at disrespecting and smearing Islam.

          In a statement faxed to The Associated Press, Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah called the alleged desecration a "brutal" form of torture and urged Muslims and international human rights organizations "to raise their voices loudly against the American behavior."

          On Saturday, Pakistan's President Gen. Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, both allies of Washington, demanded an investigation and punishment for those behind the reported desecration of the Quran.

          The story also sparked protests in Pakistan, Yemen and the Gaza Strip. The 22-nation Arab League issued a statement saying if the allegations panned out, Washington should apologize to Muslims.

          Newsweek is owned by The Washington Post Co.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Hu: A developing China will benefit global businesses

           

             
           

          Pressure on RMB will not help -- Wen

           

             
           

          WHA rejects Taiwan-related proposal

           

             
           

          China's consumer prices up 1.8% in April

           

             
           

          Momentum key to cross-Straits ties

           

             
           

          Jilin in running for nuclear power plant

           

             
            Newsweek retracts story on Quran abuse
             
            At least 24 Iraqis killed; 50 bodies found
             
            Pyongyang, Seoul resume talks after long gap
             
            Iran to give EU 'last chance' to save atomic deal
             
            Iraqi police find bodies of 38 men
             
            Court giving Khodorkovsky verdict adjourns
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Pakistani FM: US should punish troops if Koran allegations are true
             
          Oldest handwritten Koran needs protection
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: jizz视频在线观看| 亚洲中文字幕乱码一区| 亚洲综合久久一区二区三区| 中国女人内谢69xxxx免费视频| 国产精品午夜福利清纯露脸| 欧美日本在线| 亚洲精品成人7777在线观看 | 成人免费A级毛片无码片2022| 亚洲精品成人福利在线电影| 欧洲人与动牲交α欧美精品| 日韩亚洲国产综合高清| 元码人妻精品一区二区三区9| 国产香蕉尹人在线视频你懂的| 亚洲色欲天天天堂色欲网| 国产精品免费中文字幕| 欧美韩国精品另类综合| 亚洲国产精品一区二区第一页| 秋霞国产av一区二区三区| 中文字幕日韩一区二区不卡| 国产精品福利自产拍在线观看| 无码综合天天久久综合网| 中文日韩在线一区二区| 亚洲日韩国产精品第一页一区| 国产精品先锋资源站先锋影院| 亚洲成av人片色午夜乱码| 乱码精品一区二区三区| 国产精品一码在线播放| 99国产欧美另类久久久精品| 亚洲 卡通 欧美 制服 中文| 在线国产精品中文字幕| chinese老太交videos| 熟妇人妻久久春色视频网| 亚洲男人天堂2018| 亚洲成亚洲成网| 天天看片视频免费观看| 日韩在线视频一区二区三| 中日韩精品视频一区二区三区| 日韩内射美女人妻一区二区三区| 国产三级国产精品国产专区| 亚洲国产欧美在线人成大黄瓜| 免费高清特级毛片A片|