<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          White House plays down new Quran reports
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-06-05 08:42

          CRAWFORD, Texas - A Pentagon report detailing incidents in which U.S. guards at Guantanamo Bay prison desecrated the Quran is creating another public relations challenge for US President Bush.


          The hand of honorary Sheik Amjad Abu Sadio, 13, is seen on the Quran as he reads prior to delivering the traditional Friday speech during prayers at the Al Imam Shafay Mosque in the Jebaliya Refugee Camp, in the northern Gaza Strip, Friday, June 3, 2005. Hundreds of Muslim worshippers flocked to a mosque in one of Gaza's largest refugee camps on Friday to get a glimpse of Gaza's newest star,a 13-year-old boy who has memorized much of the Quran. [AP]
          Two weeks ago, the White House was thrown on the defensive by a now-retracted Newsweek report alleging that U.S. interrogators at the detention center for alleged terrorists in Cuba had flushed a Quran down a toilet.

          The story stirred worldwide controversy and the Bush administration blamed it for deadly demonstrations in Afghanistan. Saying America's image abroad had suffered irreparable damage, the White House responded with a verbal offensive against the media.

          On Saturday, a day after the Pentagon described a series of cases of U.S. personnel mishandling the Quran, the White House downplayed the issue.

          "It is unfortunate that some have chosen to take out of context a few isolated incidents by a few individuals," presidential spokesman Scott McClellan said in a statement.

          Joe Lockhart, former press secretary for President Clinton, said that when a news organization — such as Newsweek — makes a factual mistake, White House officials are tempted to try to discredit the entire story.

          "I think on this issue, they fell into a trap," Lockhart said. "They saw a way to push back on a damaging story by making it look like it was just out-of-control journalists, and now they've had to admit that it has happened."

          McClellan's statements after the Newsweek report left an impression that no desecration at all had occurred at Guantanamo, Lockhart said.

          "While the news organization got an example wrong, they got the practice right," he said. "I think certainly the public is within their right, in this case, to believe they were misled."

          The Pentagon confirmed Friday evening — after the networks' evening news shows had aired — that a U.S. soldier had deliberately kicked a prisoner's holy book. The report also said prison guards had thrown water balloons in a cell block, causing an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; a guard's urine had splashed on a detainee and his Quran; an interrogator had stepped on a Quran during an interrogation; and a two-word obscenity had been written in English on the inside cover of a Quran.

          Pentagon officials said the problems were relatively minor and U.S. commanders have gone to great lengths to enable detainees to practice their religion.

          White House officials noted that the investigation last month, by Brig. Gen. Jay Hood, the commander of the detention center, also found 15 cases of detainees mishandling their own Qurans.

          "These included using a Quran as a pillow, ripping pages out of the Quran, attempting to flush a Quran down the toilet and urinating on the Quran," Hood's report said. It offered no possible explanation for the detainees' actions.

          McClellan declined to answer questions about whether the White House issued misleading statements, whether the credibility of the Bush administration had been tarnished or whether the Pentagon report would hamper Bush's efforts to spread democracy in the Middle East.

          On her goodwill trip to the Middle East last month, first lady Laura Bush said Newsweek should not be solely blamed for the deadly protests that followed its report.

          "In the United States if there's a terrible report, people don't riot and kill other people," she said. "And you can't excuse what they did because of the mistake — you know, you can't blame it all on Newsweek."

          "We've had terrible happenings that have really, really hurt our image of the United States," she said. "And people in the United States are sick about it."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Singapore PM: Containing China is short-sighted

           

             
           

          China, US hold talks over textile, IPR issues

           

             
           

          Floods, landslides kill at least 88

           

             
           

          Marines find weapons caches, huge bunker

           

             
           

          Mundell: China should keep currency peg

           

             
           

          U.S. confirms Gitmo soldier kicked Quran

           

             
            North Korean, US officials spoke by phone
             
            Singapore PM: Containing China is short-sighted
             
            U.S. confirms Gitmo soldier kicked Quran
             
            Police: Hackers stole Israeli defense data
             
            Plane diverted to Canada after false hijacking alert
             
            Prosecutors appeal Berlusconi's acquittal
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩人妻无码一区二区三区99 | 久久96热在精品国产高清| 免费看国产成年无码av| 男女一级国产片免费视频| 免费看欧美全黄成人片| 久久精品夜色国产亚洲av| 久久麻豆成人精品| 成人免费无遮挡在线播放| 在线看av一区二区三区| 久播影院无码中文字幕| 手机在线国产精品| 国内精品久久久久影视| 人人爽人人模人人人爽人人爱| 在线天堂资源www中文| av一区二区中文字幕| 成年女人毛片免费观看中文| 人妻日韩精品中文字幕| 久久精品国产自清天天线| 久久狠狠高潮亚洲精品夜色| 中文字幕无码不卡在线| 久久亚洲日本激情战少妇| 2020精品自拍视频曝光| 国产午夜精品无码一区二区 | 诱人的岳hd中文字幕| 99热精品毛片全部国产无缓冲| 欧美人与性动交α欧美精品| 日韩一区二区三区女优丝袜| 成人嫩草研究院久久久精品| 久久www免费人成看片中文| 亚洲有无码中文网| 国产欧美日韩精品丝袜高跟鞋| 色又黄又爽18禁免费网站现观看| 91中文字幕在线一区| 亚洲另类无码一区二区三区| 成人av片在线观看免费| AV人摸人人人澡人人超碰| 久久久精品无码一二三区| 99热精品毛片全部国产无缓冲 | 亚洲激情一区二区三区视频| 国产在线无码视频一区二区三区| 亚洲中文无码+蜜臀|