<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Americans held as Iraq insurgent suspects
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-07-07 09:55

          The U.S. military in Iraq has detained five Americans for suspected insurgent activity, Pentagon officials said Wednesday. The five have not been charged or had access to a lawyer, and face an uncertain legal future.

          Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman declined to identify any of them, citing the military's policy of not providing the names of detainees. They are in custody at one of the three U.S.-run prisons in Iraq.

          One was identified by his family and U.S. law enforcement officials as Cyrus Kar, an Iranian-American filmmaker and U.S. Navy veteran.

          Saying Kar is being held unjustly, the American Civil Liberties Union sued the government on Wednesday in an effort to secure his release.

          Three of those being detained are Iraqi-Americans, Whitman said. The fifth is a Jordanian-American the Pentagon previously had acknowledged holding.

          One of the Iraqi-Americans allegedly had knowledge of planning for an attack and a second possibly was involved in a kidnapping, Whitman said. The third was "engaged in suspicious activity," Whitman said, declining to be more specific. They were captured, one each, in April, May and June.

          Whitman said the Iranian-American was arrested with several dozen washing machine timers in his car; such items can be used as components in bombs. Military officials said he was arrested with a cameraman and a taxi driver.

          Whitman said there did not appear to be any connections among the five.

          If there are charges, it is not immediately clear whether U.S. courts or Iraq's judicial system would handle the cases.

          The International Committee of the Red Cross has visited each of the detainees, Whitman said.

          In Los Angeles, Kar's relatives said he was born in Iran and came to the U.S. as a child.

          They said Kar, 44, was in Iraq to film scenes for a documentary on Persia's founder when Kar was arrested by Iraqi police at a checkpoint in Baghdad on May 17, a date confirmed by military officials.

          "He just had the misfortune to get into the wrong cab," said Steven R. Shapiro, the ACLU's legal director. "Our position is that if the government has any evidence against him, bring him home and charge in a court and then proceed accordingly."

          His family said that an FBI agent in Los Angeles told them Kar had been cleared of any charges and that the washing machine timers allegedly belonged to the taxi driver, who was transporting them to a friend.

          "I'm here to beg President Bush ... to release an innocent boy," Kar's aunt, Parvin Modarress, said at a news conference announcing the suit challenging Kar's detention. "He went to Iraq to do his dream work, to make a documentary."

          The FBI searched Kar's Los Angeles home in May, said a U.S. law enforcement official who spoke said on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing.

          The ACLU's suit, filed in Washington, contends that Kar's detention violates his constitutional rights, federal law, international law and U.S. military regulations.

          "He's just sat there in limbo. Whatever the government's authority, it certainly doesn't allow them to do that," Shapiro said. He pointed to rulings that allow prisoners held by the U.S. at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to challenge their detention.

          Whitman said the five Americans were being held in accordance with laws governing armed conflict.

          The Jordanian-American, who was captured in a raid late last year, is suspected of high-level ties to Abu Musab Zarqawi, the Jordanian terrorist and leading al-Qaida ally in Iraq. Officials announced the capture in March of the Jordanian-American.

          A panel of three U.S. officers rules on whether each prisoner is properly held; that has already taken place for the Jordanian-American. Whitman did not say whether the three Iraqi-Americans or the Iranian-American have been through this process.

          Whitman said it is not certain whether they will be turned over to the Justice Department or to Iraq's legal system, which has handled the prosecution of other foreign fighters.

          The closest parallel to their situation may be the two American citizens captured opposing U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

          John Walker Lindh and Yaser Esam Hamdi, two Taliban foot soldiers, held U.S. citizenship when they were captured in late 2001.

          Lindh, a California native now in his early 20s, pleaded guilty in civilian court to supplying services to the Taliban government and carrying explosives for them. He received a 20-year prison sentence in 2002. He has since sought to have it reduced.

          Hamdi was born in Louisiana and grew up in Saudi Arabia. He was held by the U.S. for three years before being released to his family in Saudi Arabia in October 2004. He gave up his American citizenship as a condition of his release.

          Whitman said their cases do not necessarily set a precedent for the handling of the five Americans captured in Iraq because Afghanistan had no functioning government at the time Lindh and Hamdi were captured.



          Space shuttle Discovery launch delayed
          Blair plans measures to uproot extremism
          Pakistan train crash carnage kills 128
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Taiwan's KMT Party to elect new leader Saturday

           

             
           

          'No trouble brewing,' beer industry insists

           

             
           

          Critics see security threat in Unocal bid

           

             
           

          DPRK: Nuke-free peninsula our goal

           

             
           

          Workplace death toll set to soar in China

           

             
           

          No foreign controlling stakes in steel firms

           

             
            Judge: Saddam trial could begin next month
             
            DPRK: Nuke-free peninsula our goal
             
            Pakistan train crash carnage kills 128
             
            NASA delays shuttle launch till Saturday
             
            Annan advocates UN Council expansion now
             
            Israel seals off Gaza Strip settlements
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Qaeda says will kill Egypt's Iraq envoy
             
          Iran, Iraq resume military talks after long break
             
          Al-Zarqawi denounces Iraq army as enemies
             
          Gunmen wound Bahrain's envoy in Baghdad
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日本国产精品第一页久久| 亚洲精品无amm毛片| 好姑娘视频在线观看| 亚洲精品电影院| 香港日本三级亚洲三级| 一本之道高清无码视频| 国产精品一二三区蜜臀av| 综合偷自拍亚洲乱中文字幕| 伊在人亚洲香蕉精品区| 日韩中av免费在线观看| 蜜桃草视频免费在线观看| 99国产亚洲精品美女久久久久| 国产精品一级久久黄色片| 亚洲色欲在线播放一区二区三区| 深夜精品免费在线观看| 国产黑色丝袜在线播放| 亚洲精品国产美女久久久| av无码免费无禁网站| 翘臀少妇被扒开屁股日出水爆乳| 国产成人精品自在钱拍| 中文字幕人妻有码久视频| 熟妇人妻av无码一区二区三区| 午夜福利免费视频一区二区| 久久精品伊人狠狠大香网| 日本一卡2卡3卡四卡精品网站| 亚洲嫩模喷白浆在线观看| 成人欧美日韩一区二区三区| 亚洲一区二区三区在线| 波多野结衣在线精品视频| 99热久re这里只有精品小草| 午夜在线观看成人av| 欧美日韩在线永久免费播放| 亚洲国产av永久精品成人| 中国女人内谢69xxxx| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区网站| 国产精品亚洲А∨怡红院| 国模小黎自慰337p人体| 国产黄色av一区二区三区| 狠狠躁夜夜躁人人爽天天bl| 国产女主播免费在线观看| 欧美乱码伦视频免费|